Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Adjustable bed for class c

Has anyone used wayfair for an adjustable bed frame for a class c rv. We age a new forrester 2861 with a short bed queen bed. I have some back issues along with copd . We have a sleep number system at home and it works great. I know sleep number makes a short queen mattress,but not the frame. Wayfair lists several options for a full size I can make work. Just looking for advice . Any help or opinions would be helpful. Thanks.
Twodogs112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

Keep in mind that you can only raise the head of the bed so much (not much) before your head will likely be hitting the over the bed cabinets.

If you need it to be adjustable, that might be a challenge in an RV.

BUT, if you simply need it to be angled as much as possible (25% from the midpoint of the mattress??) then what you could do is remove the mattress and construct a plywood platform to the angle you want. Then put the mattress back down. You would end up with a bed with a fixed angle.

I suppose if you were clever enough, you could even make it so that the angle could be manually adjusted (remove mattress, adjust angle, put mattress back on).

I have found mattresses like these to be quite comfortable, flexible for your needs, and pretty inexpensive also.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRHI0W2

Let me know if any of that helps!
Chris
SJ-Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. There are no cabinets over the bed slide out. No problems there. Since the motor home is brand new we are still learning how things work. So much to learn.
The base of the bed is plywood that runs in and out with the slide. I have done searches on various sites and some suggestions have been shown. I know that there are special manufacturers of adjustable bed frames specifically for rv’s(class a) . These products are in the 1000$ and up price. Way too much for this old man. We are addressing the mattress issue at a later date.
Yes I can build what is suggested. But was looking at an easier route. Wayfair has several models of adj bed frames that could be made to work. Maybe I’ll be the first one to try this in a rv. Thanks for the suggestion. Will post results.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #4

Hi Two Dogs,

I realize you seek an adjustable bed, but maybe you could get something from our experience.

We bought our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350, brand new back then. It came with a 6" thick soft generic mattress that we did not care for but tollerated. Phoenix later included a much better quality mattress but that did not help us with our older rig. Being 49 years old (with no "back" issues) when the rig was new, we accepted what we had.

Eventually it came time for a new mattress, an opportunity for something better.

CLICK HERE for what we did which includes descriptive pictures.
CLICK HERE for a related discussion.

Maybe some of our experience will apply.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #5

Thank you for the kind reply. Unfortunately I am unable to use a “foam” type mattress. I tried several and they just don’t work for me. I have a pinched nerve in my lower back that the doctors don’t want to operate on. As a result, I have to live with it. The funny thing is that it makes my walking gait seem like I’m drunk!!! Try to explain that to the police if I get stopped!! I had this condition for years and once got arrested for dwi in nc. Blew a 0 and they had to unarrest me. The magistrate was an old family friend and it was a joke for years!! As a complication to this condition my left knee just gives out at any time. Oops going down, the looks I get. Hence the sleep number mattress. I keep my side rock hard, my wife is about 70-80%. She snores and the adjustment really helps with that. That’s why we are looking for an adjustable base. I have to convince her on the mattress , as that is a mega buck purchase. One step at a time.
Sorry for the long story. I was just curious to see if anyone has tried one yet. They are not super expensive. We are going on our first week long trip the first of November and I’ll see how it goes. Our plan for this new rv is to use it for short trips for a year or so until she retires. Then we will take off cross country to visit all the national parks while we (I) still can.
Thanks for the recommendation, any help is greatly appreciated. Two dogs 112, and we do have two dogs. A one eyed rescue beagle, and a westie (terrier). And others, fish, bird, stray cats, it’s a zoo here!!!
Old 10-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #6

Interesting story you shared.

Have you talked with a Sleep Number store? Maybe you can order one made to fit your rig, or have your rig modified to accommodate an available size.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:35 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. Yes i have , the mattress starts at about $1,600 and up from there. No to the frame, not available from them. The slide will not allow for a full sized queen mattress unless we take out the cabinets and other major modifications. Not an option. Looks like I’ll be the first to do this. It will be a good project for our cold winters here in Florida!!!
The wife asked me if we need to winterize the rv last night!!! Last year the coldest we got was about 30 degrees for about an hour or two! So I need some projects todo on those cold snowy days. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:10 PM   #8

Don't assume that all foam mattresses are unacceptable. There is a huge range of quality when it comes to foam, with latex being the highest quality. You can have a foam mattress that is as hard or as soft as you desire. Cheap foam breaks down quickly.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Wife also has COPD and in order to sleep must have Her upper Body elevated..
I Went with A true 50/50 split fully adjustable Queen bed [2 separate bases by Bed Tech and mattresses by Englander ... ] So Yes, it can be done ...That being said, it is nowhere near Cheep.. Ours all in including the electric actuators & wiring for the base cover over the rear engine was nearly $6k. As Everything is Custom designed and manufactured.
As DW is short statured..I went ahead and added steps so She can climb into the bed easily.
Good Luck..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190328_132507.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	378975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190328_174304 (1).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	378976  

Name:	IMG_20190409_120716.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	378977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_152134.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	378978  

Name:	IMG_20190412_152043 (1).jpg
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	378979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190417_150418 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	378980  

Name:	IMG_20190417_150908.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	378981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190417_200742 (1).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	378982  

Name:	IMG_20190417_160253 (1).jpg
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	378983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190426_145109.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	378984  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs112 View Post
Thanks for the reply. There are no cabinets over the bed slide out. No problems there. Since the motor home is brand new So much to.learn

The base of the bed is plywood that runs in and out with the slide.
Since your new to your 2861 ...if your 2861 is like it's older sister 2860 ...the water pump and whole house water filter is under the bed. The bed platform is hinged for access.

Have you checked under the bed for maintenance items?

Adding extra weight in the rear, especially, on these chassis will reduce your carrying capacity. Usually it's hard to overload the front axle but the rear can be overloaded quite easily.

Been to the CAT Scale yet to see what weight you've got to play with?
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c