Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 10:15 PM   #1

Advice for 100% Newbie

Hello folks

Having finally retired, my wife (both 60) and I are ready to jump in to the RV life, we have two couple who have given us some advice but , as can be expected , they have some biased, this is we’re you folks hopefully come in.
The only passengers will be the wife, 2 small dogs and myself. We plan on doing mostly campsites, have driven loaded 26’ U-Hauls with no problems.
This is our wish/want list, please feel free to be HONEST , no thin skin here!

1) 26’ class C
2) lots of storage
3) Used
4) best/better quality
5) Gas
6) 1 or 2 sliders
7) Walk around bed (not a deal breaker)
8) sitting other than dinning area
9) Awning/s
10) Would like to stay 90k and below, 95K MAX

Thank you for any advise you may provide!
tangojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 10:30 PM   #2

Problem with Class C and Lots of storage
Class C's have Limited Cargo Carrying Capacity
Also Low Towing Capacity

Good luck on your Hunt.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not a Class A, you would get more storage, useful slides, seating, 90k should get you in on a used one.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #4

For many people, floor plan turns out to be the most important aspect. Choose the one you like then look at the coaches available. If you've never traveled by RV, rent one first before you choose anything.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think you’re going to find that a class C doesn’t have a lot of storage space nor a lot of capacity. Visit several dealers and see them up close. The suggestion to look into class A is very good. There are quite a few in the short category, if that’s what’s important for you. You have to see these to know what is going to work for you. It’s a process.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #6

I have a 28 ft class C
It has a full basement, 2 slides.
Since you want slides, I'd say look at a 28 ft.
There won't be much difference in MPG between the 2, but you will appriciate the extra 2 feet after a year.
I had a 22 ft Rialta, so the difference of 6 ft makes all the difference in the world.

The one thing I can say is don't settle for anything without a walk around bed. You may be able to climb over someone today, but no telling if you can 5 years from now. I now have a walk around bed ( id slide is open ) and I can't tell you how much better it is.

just mt 2 cents.
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #7

+ + on storage. Only B's have less storage than C.
+ + on floorplan. A good floorplan can make a world of difference. And on floorplans, I don't recall anything under 28 ft having seating besides a dinette. Well, do reversing front seats count?
With smaller RV's, the outdoors under the awning is the living room.

I drive a 2012 Itasca Cambria 2t
29 ft and a few inches C- (they call it a B+).
My DW likes the floorplan and ride over an A. An A of this size has more storage and sometimes a better floorplan. And we did spend a month traveling with her 2 sisters, from Chicago to Yosemite to Orlando and back.
Look around at available RV's, see what's interesting, affordable, etc.
My cabin in the mountIns:
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...an-28t-tr11371

Pplmotorhomes.com. among others.
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #8

As mentioned, make sure to look at the weight numbers of the rigs you're interested in. There are RVs out there that have barely enough capacity to carry people and weekend camping supplies before going over their GWVR. From what I've read on here, this seems to be more common with Class C's.

May need to look at something a bit larger to fit in everything on your list and be more comfortable.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like your thoughts. Believe you are on the right track. I have owned them all staring with truck campers many years ago. Have not owned a B or a C. Don't know why I never had a C; wasn't that I thought them not worthy of consideration. I just went from fivers to A's (all DPs, but one gas which I bought when downsizing. Had it 8 months, could not handle the noise even though I spent $$$ and time insulation the dog house, floors, and fire wall. Still could not handle it, even with my hearing aids out it was unbearable for me and my DW. So, went back to the DP. If I may, I would suggest one other consideration. That's a "functional shower. Step into it, close the door and simulate washing yourself, including your feet. When you get near the 26' range, I have found them not at all functional. Of course you could use the CG showers, but then that can get old.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of RV-ing
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #10

Good list of needs. Suggest looking on RV Trader and research the specs for each manufacturer and model to see which used one fits your needs. Then go and look at them. As suggested, consider renting one before you buy. Also consider towing a small trailer OR tow vehicle for additional storage.

Some the additional needs we wanted when looking for a motorhome were: walk around bed, main salon fold out couch, heat pump, tv satellite antenna, automatic hydraulic leveling jacks, solar, swivel / reclining cockpit chairs, bathroom with vanity and good size shower, gasoline generator, suspension upgrades and external sewer hose storage.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I looked long & hard/kissed a lot of frogs before I got my 24ft Phoenix Cruiser. I wanted one that would fit in my driveway & my PC does. IMO, PC's of my era & prior are one of the best built small RV's. The crew that built mine have gone on to a new start up company (oddly enough, building the same style RV) so I can't attest to how well built the new PC's are. The other mfr in this category I feel is of equal or better quality is CoachHouse.

The 2351D floorplan fits the majority of your wants.

Of all the RV's of its size, it had the most outside storage & even then, it's not a lot. Basically just 2 bays. Coming from a 40+ft diesel with, basically, unlimited storage (both inside & out), I had to downsize a LOT & decide what I REALLY needed to carry around. 3 different 20lb toolboxes (which my DH insisted on) was NOT feasible. A small toolkit & a credit card is what I have now.

Since you want gas, that limits you to Ford chassis RV's. I refused to get a Sprinter for 2 reasons: 1. Because I was done with the DEF issues & didn't want to have to mess with or worry about that system breaking down. 2. Sprinters have less CCC than Ford.

My floorplan does not have a dining area. So the comment about RV's under 28ft having nothing other than a dinette isn't correct. I've got a dual-reclining loveseat with a swing arm table. I don't use the table either, so I took it out & it's on a shelf in my home garage. If I want a table to eat on, I go outside to the campsite picnic table. If it's raining out, I just balance my plate on my lap & eat inside.

I have heat strips in my AC vs heat pumps. Superior, IMO, to heat pumps as pumps become effectively useless if temps are below 40-degrees. So long as I've got electric hook up (or running genny), I'd rather heat my RV on electric (which I've already paid for in my site fee) than use my propane supply.

I will admit, my bathroom is tiny. Especially after coming from one that ran the full back end width of my Phaeton. I joke, but I've often said my current bathroom is the size of just the shower in my Phaeton. But then, I don't spend my time in the bathroom. Get in/do my business/get out. It's workable.

My PC is a Ford E350 V10. The newer Fords are E450 V8. They've been out for a while now but I don't know how the new 450 compares to my 350. I'd assume a V8 would get better mileage than a V10, but maybe those with the new engines can chime in.

You may have to go a few years older than mine to find a PC in your price range (the 2351D will not be in that list as it's a newer floorplan), or be able to wait out this crazy overpriced market we're in now. Especially if your max price does not include taxes. They'll add a big chunk to your final price.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangojay View Post
Hello folks

7) Walk around bed (not a deal breaker)
It was for my DW.

My advice is just do it. Your first RV does not have to be your last.

We did not see living full time in a DP when we started.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:39 PM   #13

I’m going to presume you’re keeping your sticks and bricks, and plan to be on the road a few months a year. If that presumption is correct, you’ll get real tired of not bringing along a toad. If you’re only traveling for a week or two at a time, maybe you won’t feel you need one. However, I’ve never enjoyed rving without the ability to make camp with an rv, and then use either a tow vehicle (trailer), or towed vehicle (when we had a motorhome), to make excursions, see sights, visit friends, and go shopping without the hassle of breaking camp. It’s also a good idea to have one in case of a breakdown.

You should decide on this first before deciding on a motorhome. If you want a toad, a Class C may be stretched to its limit towing all but the smallest vehicle. Therefore, I echo the sentiments of others to look at Class A’s in the 28-30 ft range with a decent engine/chassis combination, a good combined GVWR and tow rating of at least 5,000 lbs. it will meet all your needs for storage and bed. And a near new one will be in your price range.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #14

Another vote to look at a 26-29 ft Class A instead, they really do tend to give a lot more living space in the same size footprint, and don't have that nearly useless (for adults) overhead bunk, instead you get full size captains chairs that pivot around to add seating to the main living area. In addition you tend to get larger tanks, more storage, often sturdier build and more cargo carrying capacity thanks to being built on a 16,000 - 20,000 GVWR chassis vs the 12,500 -14,500 you typically find on a class C of the same length.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie