Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

Advice sought first time poster & buyer

Dear RV friends,
I always try to consult the "net knowledge" before buying. I have money and i'm ready to move forward, but I have some requirements.

I would like a Class-C 24-27 footer with requirements (in priority order)
1) Towing a race car & trailer weighing 5,000+
2) Preference for a diesel with Allison Transmission ? Dually?
3) Want a 2018-2020 for better build quality (IMHO) - Quality Important!
4) Prefer 2 or more slideouts
5) Require Queen size bed (we are newly weds)
6) prefer private rear room with door (not curtain) - see above
7) only need to sleep 3-4 total

Does anybody have recommendations? I have a nice budget and don't want to go to cheap on this one.

Please teach me what I need to research and learn.
brianchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

You’ll probably be looking at a Super C because of requirement #2.
Define “nice budget”.
Can you say “Dynamax”?

I’ll be watching.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #3

Could be difficult finding a "super C" under 27' long, but they check the rest of your boxes. The towing weight precludes a Sprinter based chassis. I think 5000lbs max is their limit.
Suggest trying Rvtrader website, set your criteria, and search. You'll get an idea of what's out there.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted above, the 5000# tow requirement will pull you out of the small class C range and put you into looking at super C's. The diesel and Allison will also push you to a super C.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You’ll probably be looking at a Super C because of requirement #2.
Define “nice budget”.
Can you say “Dynamax”?

I’ll be watching.
ON budget, I have done very well for myself and I can have whatever I want, i wish I could get a Duramax and Allison in a camper, but that doesn't seem possible. I guess a V10 gas engine is going to be a substitute for #2 above.

Those of you with V10 Ford powered, what MPG do they get on the highway, NOT TOWING, versus what do they get towing?

I looked at Dynamx and they just look too big for me.

I'll check Rvtrader and see what they say.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

Just curious, why a Class C? Overall preference? Adding Class A's into the mix adds a lot, plus depending on your configuration you could get a lot of towing power from a Class A. Not sure how big your trailer is, but a longer wheelbase Class A (like maybe a 35') would make for some stable towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchevy View Post
Dear RV friends,
I always try to consult the "net knowledge" before buying. I have money and i'm ready to move forward, but I have some requirements.

Does anybody have recommendations? I have a nice budget and don't want to go to cheap on this one.

jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
ON budget, I have done very well for myself and I can have whatever I want,

Those of you with V10 Ford powered, what MPG do they get on the highway, NOT TOWING, versus what do they get towing?
So if money isn't a problem, milage shouldn't be either.

I would be more focused on the drive train holding up with the load you will be putting on it. That would steer me towards something deisel powered, like you first indicated.

Why wouldn't a shorter DP be a option?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #8

Sorry, but #3 made me laugh out loud
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

Thanks for all the thoughts, i really do appreciate every one of them.

I've been doing more and more research and we are renting one for the weekend so we can learn what we like about floorplans and what we don't like - I have also been seriously researching the new engines from Ford (the v8 Godzilla 7.3), and it seem there are some great reviews on that platform.

Most of the 2020 and 2021 ford based have those engines, so I'm curious what are the real MPG numbers from people owning those. It seems a good compromise between being able to tow a 5,000+ trailer and great torque with decent MPG.

So we are looking hard at these 2020-21 platforms:
Thor,
Forged Rive,
Nexus,
Gulfstream,
Entegra Odyssey 26D (which seems to be the leader).

As far as why no "Class A" that just not size appropriate for our small family with a dedicated towing need. I want it to be drivable and park-able almost everywhere. i don't disrespect the capabilities, it's just too big for us.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

Just be aware there are some small class A's out there, though universally they have a 5,000 pound towing limit or less
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #11

You will probably wind up with a Jayco Seneca, a Dynamax or a Nexus Ghost or Wraith. There aren't too many other rigs that can tow that much. I have heard of a Ram based class C that can tow 7,500 lbs. but I forget who makes it. If you're hauling a race trailer I think you maybe significantly over 5,000 lbs. depending on the amount of equipment you carry. A light car and an enclosed trailer will put you right at 5,000 I'm thinking. Good luck and let us know what you get.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the thoughts, i really do appreciate every one of them.

I've been doing more and more research and we are renting one for the weekend so we can learn what we like about floorplans and what we don't like - I have also been seriously researching the new engines from Ford (the v8 Godzilla 7.3), and it seem there are some great reviews on that platform.

Most of the 2020 and 2021 ford based have those engines, so I'm curious what are the real MPG numbers from people owning those. It seems a good compromise between being able to tow a 5,000+ trailer and great torque with decent MPG.

So we are looking hard at these 2020-21 platforms:
Thor,
Forged Rive,
Nexus,
Gulfstream,
Entegra Odyssey 26D (which seems to be the leader).

As far as why no "Class A" that just not size appropriate for our small family with a dedicated towing need. I want it to be drivable and park-able almost everywhere. i don't disrespect the capabilities, it's just too big for us.
You can do a fuel economy check yourself then, on the Ford engine, if that's what you rent.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Dear RV friends,
I always try to consult the "net knowledge" before buying. I have money and I'm ready to move forward, but I have some requirements.

You have a nice list but unfortunately you can't get everything. For example, a rig in a length of 24 to 27 "measured" feet will not include a separate bedroom with adequate "newlywed" privacy. Also your "diesel with Allison" forces you into a "Super C" category where the lengths begin around 35 measured feet.

Sleeping 3 to 4 people, you really need the large over-the-cab bunk, not the aerodynamic B+ cap. Many rigs include privacy curtains for both the upper bunk and the rear queen bed. Maybe that will provide adequate privacy for Mom and Dad.

Given the need to compromise, I suggest considering a brand new 2022 E450 chassis platform to get the latest and strongest Ford E-series 7.3L-V8 gasoline engine with an excellent transmission. It will meet your towing needs very nicely with the 7500 pound hitch, and doing so with better fuel efficiency than the previous 6.8L-V10 engine.

To avoid a multi-panel seamed over-head bunk, I would look at something like the Thor Industries ENTEGRA ESTEEM or ENTEGRA ODESSEY. Having a seamless front bunk area eliminates the worst of water leaks that haunts many class C motorhomes, especially with age and being stored out in the elements. The sun degrades the sealing caulk and then you have water damage that always comes as a surprise.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #14

I have a 2019 Entegra Esteem 29V with the V10 and 6 speed auto. It has a 7,500# tow rating from the factory. Don’t be fooled by the 29V model, it is 32.5’ long. It is a great rig. I initially wanted something around 27-28’ but found there is little difference in driving or parking the extra 4’. I tow a VW New Beetle which weighs in around 2,800#. Not towing, I have achieved 10 MPG. I have also towed all across the country and have found mileage towing can be as low as 6.5 MPG to close to 9MPG. Generally I figure on 7.5-8 MPG and so far that has worked well for me. The latest (and last) V 10s are awesome motors. I’ve had 2 others, a 1999 and a 2008 and they have all been great motors capable of doing what they were designed to do. They do like to rev but they can rev all day long. I found my latest with the 6 speed to be the quietest of the bunch. I covered the fuel mileage above.

I forgot to mention that both the Entegra and Jayco models come with a 2 year factory warranty.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice