Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 05:24 AM   #15

Don't forget to take along your sense of humor.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:22 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Don't forget to take along your sense of humor.
And patience..........Lots of great advice on here........

Not knowing much about you or your new rig, we don't know your level of experience driving a vehicle larger than a car.......something to consider. If you need help in this area, I'd look for You Tube videos about driving a Class C RV. You WILL experience cross-winds coming across the prairie - be prepared for these by knowing they are there and adjust your speed accordingly.

If you have time to spend a couple to a few days before heading home - it wold be helpful, especially if you bought it from a dealer who may correct any issues. If you bought it "As-is" from a private party - they, most likely, will not be of much help.

Make sure you have a through "Walk-Thru" when you pick up your rig. They are called "PDI", Pre-Delivery-Inspection in the RV world. Make sure you know the basics and would help if you schooled yourself before you picked up the Class C. Know how the fresh water system works, know the sanitation system, grey & black. Know the electrical system and where the circuit breakers and fuses are for both the house and chassis. Know how to operate the refrigerator on both gas and electric.

Hopefully you have a jump on these items now........if not.......again go to You Tube and search for the different systems. Is there anyone (friends/family) at home you can get some lessons from?

Picking up an RV is not quite like picking up a car - - it is a house on wheels and Murphy's Law is always prevalent. And "Knowledge is power", especially when it comes to making your trip home safe and "FUN".......which is the ultimate goal !!

I am a big believer of, "If you fail to plan - you plan to fail!" You are doing the right thing by asking for help on iRV2........and the members will be here for you as you cross the country on your way home....

Good luck..........keep us posted and make sure you map out your route - a good RV specific GPS will help. I even plan fuel stops using the Pilot/Flying J web site. To do this go to the Pilot web site, click on locations, then "Plan A Trip". Fill in your starting and ending locations but make sure you'll click on "Stores That Have", and click on "RV Fuel Lanes". It will map out a route for you, and show you all the Pilot and Flying J gas stations with lanes specific for RVs. With a class C you may be able to use the normal gas lanes but as RVers, we never want to get in a situation where we can't get out.......(I am a planner from He__ - an old occupational hazard!!)

Good luck to you - keep us posted on your trip....

g
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #17

All great advice. I will search YouTube but if anyone has suggestions of videos they particularly think would be helpful, please let me know. This is a 2006 Lazy Daze 26.5 footer and I have limited/little experience driving one (did rent a Home Depot truck a few times, which I believe is on a similar chassis). Thanks again to all.
Cebuano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
First stay home and call me I will deliver it LOL. That will be a great trip just be careful and understand that you simply cannot plan for every little thing but maybe the big things. Some good advice on here and I would have the engine serviced so all belts, hoses and fluids can be inspected, this will at least give you peace of mind on that part. Safe travels let us know how it goes good luck.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano54 View Post
Do you think I should get road service membership other than the AAA I have now (which I read does not cover RVs)? If so, any recommendations?

For the record AAA does offer PLUS RV coverage.
ItalianRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why is 62 MPH a magic number?
Scorpion65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #21

We've used Good Sams roadside assist for 20 yrs. Considerong FMCA now. Don't leave home w/o spme kind of roadside assist for RVs.
Lots of posts w +/- of various ones...cheap insurance and a comfort if when needed.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

We travel at 65mph in our 2013 Thor Citation 24SR 3.0 MB diesel with no toad.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #23

All of the information above is good, but also VERY important is that when you are stopping for fuel, ALWAYS, ALWAYS plan how you are going to get OUT of the gas pumps BEFORE you pull INTO the gas pumps.

It sounds as if you will not have a towed car, but you might as well get used to pre-planning your moves NOW while you can still back up!

That might save you some distress later on.

A lot of stations (Walmart) have a curb right in front of the rows of pumps. If possible, pull into the pumps at the outside ends of the row and pull in at a 45 degree angle to the pumps. That way pulling out is a breeze.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #24

Most Pilot Flying Js have RV lanes that make ituch easier...you can fuel from either side in the RV lanes.
Plus most have water propane and dump if needed. Get a Good Sams discount card for Pilot F J and get a discount.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
Why is 62 MPH a magic number?
It isn't, but if you had a heavy 5th wheel, the ST tires are only rated for 65mph. When I had my 5th wheel, that was the number I used for the fragile excuse for a tire used on those rigs. We called them China Bombs as they had a propensity to explode without warning.

Now in the MH, 65 is fine, I'm ok with 70 but that is the limit for me. I generally travel the right hand lane and move with the slower traffic.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Being this is your first long trip, roadside assistance is something you should have. I have been using Coach Net for 10 years and I love them. Online tech assistance and very quick response time.

I carry 1/2 tank of fresh water.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #27

Since you might not know the history of the unit. you should check the hoses and belts. It is a long way. Try to stay at or under 60/62 mph.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a smartphone download the apps RV Parky and Gas Buddy. RV Parky will help you find campgrounds, gas stations and Walmarts. You will want to stay (free) in Walmarts from time to time so you can load up on groceries and RV supplies. Use Google Maps in satellite view so you can check out your in-out strategy at gas stations and the like. You will need a potable drinking water hose and a sewer hose/connections if the RV isn't equipped with them.

Your tires have date codes on them. Check them and if they are original tires, replace them before your trip.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie