Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 01:20 PM   #1

Agm batteries

Anyone have experience with Mighty Max brand batteries? 2014 Melbourne 28f has 2 coach batteries and mine has 3 additional. 3 solar panels on the roof. Old batteries 8 years old. Any experience good or bad with Mighty Max 100-12?
jimstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #2

I have no experience with that brand of battery. My current set of AGM batteries are 14 yrs old and still going strong. I mostly boondock so the batteries are cycled every trip. I can still get 3 days without running the genny. At the end of the trip they are fully charged, the disconnected . They sit disconnected from October till May while in storage in sub zero temps. They still read 12.7v at the end of the storage period.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

I bought a pair of the Mighty Max's close cousins, the WindyNation 100 Ah G31 AGMs. They have worked well for the past two years.

I would expect that the Mighty Max would do the same, as well as the Renogy equivalents. All three are low cost and seem to be about the same.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:12 AM   #4

For our rig, I have two Duracell 6V AGM from Sam's Club, Paid $180 each. I installed them in April 2015 and they are still strong. I went from two 12V wet acid, to two 6V AGM, one of my best upgrades for more power, ease of maintenance, longevity, and affordability. In the same time period, I would be buying a 3rd set of 12V wet acid by now, and some of those years would have offered inadequate power. I only get two good years from any pair of 12V wet acid, but 7 so far with 6V AGMs, and they are not done yet.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #5

Ron,

One question not answered yet (in any forum that I have seen so far): Which will give better service and longevity for any given total AH of deep cycle RV capacity -> 6V AGM golf cart batteries or 12V AGM true deep cycle batteries?

I rule out any answers based on the "thicker absorbed glass mats" of AGM 6V batteries over those of AGM 12V batteries because ... the absorbed glass mats of two AGM 6V batteries in series must carry twice the current of those in a single AGM 12V battery for any given kind of usage and battery bank size. I suspect that it's the electro-chemistry of current flow hour after hour of use that wears out batteries ... so lifetime and serviceability of a 6V AGM based battery bank should be no different than that of a 12V AGM true deep cycle based battery bank.

I keep writing "true deep cycle" in regards to AGM 12V batteries because there are AGM 12V batteries intended for engine starting use ... and I have used one of those in by 4X4 PU.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Ron,

One question not answered yet (in any forum that I have seen so far): Which will give better service and longevity for any given total AH of deep cycle RV capacity -> 6V AGM golf cart batteries or 12V AGM true deep cycle batteries?

I rule out any answers based on the "thicker absorbed glass mats" of AGM 6V batteries over those of AGM 12V batteries because ... the absorbed glass mats of two AGM 6V batteries in series must carry twice the current of those in a single AGM 12V battery for any given kind of usage and battery bank size. I suspect that it's the electro-chemistry of current flow hour after hour of use that wears out batteries ... so lifetime and serviceability of a 6V AGM based battery bank should be no different than that of a 12V AGM true deep cycle based battery bank.

I keep writing "true deep cycle" in regards to AGM 12V batteries because there are AGM 12V batteries intended for engine starting use ... and I have used one of those in by 4X4 PU.

someone posted 2 6v golf cart batteries are better than 1 12 volt
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
someone posted 2 6v golf cart batteries are better than 1 12 volt

Actually, there ARE equal quality deep cycle 12 VDC as well as 6 VDC.

They are just very rare and therefore usually more $$ per amp-hr or quality battery.

I know, for example that Lifeline does sell quality 12 VDC AGM's as well as 6 VDC's.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Actually, there ARE equal quality deep cycle 12 VDC as well as 6 VDC.

They are just very rare and therefore usually more $$ per amp-hr or quality battery.

I know, for example that Lifeline does sell quality 12 VDC AGM's as well as 6 VDC's.
I believe/hope that is the case regarding equal quality.

Here's the Group 31 size true deep cycle AGM 12V batteries that I use two-of in our RV, for a total of 230 amp hours. They fit right under the step where golf cart size batteries would not fit because of their height ... however they did set me back around $305 each:

https://fullriverbattery.com/product/dc115-12/
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:34 PM   #9

Golf cart 6V batteries probably give the best life if you only rarely run them down below 50% as they have thick plates and more room for electrolyte top and bottom than most 12V so called deep cycle batteries.

I don't think there is any difference in how AGM batteries for deep cycle use are built like there are in FLA batteries. So almost any AGM will work in deep cycle service, again as long as you routinely don't discharge below 50%.

DAvid
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:20 PM   #10

A true deep cycle AGM battery will outlast a golfcart one. They are considerable more expensive then the golfcart type. As long as the cell construction is identical , the capacity will be the same for 6v or a 12v battery. Golf cart batteries are easy to get and used in many applications. For RV use , they are probably your "Best bang for your buck"
In the the telecommunications industry , we need 100% reliability and use "true deep cycle " AGM batteries. I currently have as set of batteries we pulled from a telecommunications site in my RV. They are now 14 yrs old and still going strong.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #11

I've had two 110Ah Mighty Max batteries in my van for a couple of years. Although I haven't used them too heavily, they've been fine and I'd buy them again. I have a 100W solar panel that keeps them and my starting battery charged.

Note: The Mighty Max batteries are "true deep cycle 12V batteries"
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:53 PM   #12

I am sure there are better batteries to be had over the 6V AGM Golf Car Duracell batteries I bought from Sam's Club for $180 each as described higher in the thread, but you can't beat their return on investment for typical RV power demands.

Replace all incandescent light bulbs throughout your interior with LEDs and you get better performance from any type of house battery(s).

Tags
batteries