Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #1

Air chuck/pressure gauge to fit outside dually

Hi everyone....I have searched the forum high and low. Have found several threads on dually issues but nothing specific to my problem. I have a 2021 Class C on Ford E450. I have on board factory TPMS that shows my tire pressures, no issue there. When the time comes for me to add any air as needed, all tires are easily accessed except for the outside dually with the stem facing inward. I cannot get an angled chuck on the valve stem because the lip on the access hole in the wheel cover prevents it to seat properly. Ford has routed the inside dually valve stem via some kind of extension to one of the other access holes on the wheel cover so that one is straight on with no issue. Wondering if anyone has found an air chuck with the right angle to work.

The easiest solution would seem to use a flexible extension just for when I want to check/add air and then remove it, but the access hole is too small to get my fingers in and screw one on. I hate to think about taking the wheel cover off. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

The cheapest thing to do, assuming you have the hub cap style clip on wheel simulators and not bolted on simulators, is to just remove the wheel covers. That's what I do on my E450. It's only a minute or two, to remove and reinstall.

If you have bolted on wheel simulators (and metal valve stems) you can put flexible stainless air lines on the valve stems and pop rivet their holding brackets to the wheel simulator.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...M8001-135.html

A third more expensive option, is to have longer valve stems installed on the wheels.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...allyvalve-dl1f
Old 06-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks. I had to pull the front covers because Ford did not properly align the slot holes to the valve stems. What a bear to get them back on without denting them. But I managed, so sure I could do the same with the rear. I did see one post where someone Dremeled out the slot so he could get the chuck on.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd36mnm View Post
Thanks. I had to pull the front covers because Ford did not properly align the slot holes to the valve stems. What a bear to get them back on without denting them. But I managed, so sure I could do the same with the rear. I did see one post where someone Dremeled out the slot so he could get the chuck on.
Their is a special tool for removing the wheel simulators. I just use a long screwdriver. I use a rubber mallet to reinstall them. You can also get very short valve extenders for the front tires, which will help. I just use an air chuck similar to this one, for all 6 wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...128176&sr=8-13

Your wheel simulators might have been installed by Entegra, not by Ford.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #5

Yes, I'm sure Entegra did install covers as they have the Entegra logo. What do you use for a pressure gauge?
Old 06-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure Entegra did install covers as they have the Entegra logo. What do you use for a pressure gauge?
R

I linked it in my previous post. Mine is similar to this one. I just attach it to a flexible airline hose and a 120V pancake compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...128176&sr=8-13

Air line is similar to this.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-co...-pc-64599.html

Air compressor is similar to this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...2003/203254365

Reading comprehension issues I guess, but I just realized I listed everything except what you were looking for.
For a gauge I have a number of regular tire pressure gauges that read over 80# Something like this would work also.
https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Heavy...135204&sr=8-45
Old 06-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi everyone....I have searched the forum high and low. Have found several threads on dually issues but nothing specific to my problem. I have a 2021 Class C on Ford E450. I have on board factory TPMS that shows my tire pressures, no issue there. When the time comes for me to add any air as needed, all tires are easily accessed except for the outside dually with the stem facing inward. I cannot get an angled chuck on the valve stem because the lip on the access hole in the wheel cover prevents it to seat properly. Ford has routed the inside dually valve stem via some kind of extension to one of the other access holes on the wheel cover so that one is straight on with no issue. Wondering if anyone has found an air chuck with the right angle to work.

The easiest solution would seem to use a flexible extension just for when I want to check/add air and then remove it, but the access hole is too small to get my fingers in and screw one on. I hate to think about taking the wheel cover off. Thanks.
Got this at orientation auotparts work préfect for outside dully

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...ensions&pos=14
retired2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #8

I had to buy 2.one for the outside and one for the inside. One was from AutoZone and the other from Walmart.
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The easiest thing to do is cut part of the wheel cover away. Make a slot about 2" wide towards the outside at the stem hole. Then a angled tire gauge and filler fits easily.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The easiest thing to do is cut part of the wheel cover away. Make a slot about 2" wide towards the outside at the stem hole. Then a angled tire gauge and filler fits easily.
Great tip!
Old 06-25-2021, 04:59 AM   #11

Thanks. That is going to be my fix. Can't get my fingers in the hole to attach any kind of adapter and putting the cover back on after removing is more than I want to deal with. I had a horrible time trying to get the front back on so cutting the cover with a Dremel works for me.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

This tool makes removing and replacing the wheel covers easy...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John North
JohnNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
How did you cut the slot?
Old 06-26-2021, 01:11 AM   #14

Take the wheel covers off and put them in the attic. Give them to the new owner when you sell it. Seriously, that will solve 99% of the issues with wheels and wheel covers. Next thing that will happen is one will depart the vehicle and you will be shopping for another one.

Charles

Tags
air