Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #1

Air compressor

Need an air compressor for my 33ft Class C. Don’t mind spending the money on something that would last and will be reliable-but also don’t want to spend money on something that is overkill. Looking at the VIAIR 400p. ($200) Any thoughts?
BenDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #2

Go get a pancake compressor at Lowe’s or home depo. They work well. Then get a 100’ airline so you can set up compressor in one place without needing to move. Then get valve stem extenders for inner wheels. Tighten them with a socket and wrench so it seals properly. You can not get them tight enough by hand. Safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #3

Weight

I do like this idea. What is the weight difference between a pancake compressor and a viair? Is that difference worth taking into consideration?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You might also look at the Porter Cable CMB515. It's a 150psi compressor that only weighs about 20lbs and works quite well on my 110psi tires. It's about $120 at Lowe's, Amazon, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PorterCable-CMB515.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	304152  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

I wonder what everyone's opinion is of THIS MINI 3-GALLON PANCAKE COMPRESSOR from Harbor Freight, on sale now for $39.99.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

The Vair is a 12v compressor, not sure about the others. I have the 400P kit that I carry in my class c, at home I use a 120v compressor with a tank.
My Vair is a great unit made to take the heat with its heavy duty heat sink head. With the extensions I can reach all the tires and it all packs away in it’s bag.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I bought refurb'ed years ago that came with nail guns (needed it for some molding work). That's my home unit I use when needed for the RV and cars, etc.. Works great for blowing out the lines when I winterize as well.

I have a ViAir that I take with me as it's compact and lighter than the pancake. I had a gent come awhile ago while on a trip to change my tire, and his compressor crapped out. I pulled out my ViAir and he was like "wow, I gotta tell the boss about these!".
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

The Harbor Freight is 100psi, the Porter Cable is 150psi. What is your RV tire pressure? Many RV tires are 90-100psi.

Going from 95 psi to 100psi using a 100psi compressor will take an absurd amount of time. Likewise going from 110 to 120 with a 120psi unit. With a 150 psi compressor you will be a lot happier. What is your time worth? Especially when stuck by the side of the highway?
Tip: the Harbor Freight 100psi unit is intended for for car tires, basketballs and toys.

The Viair is a very high quality, very rugged and moderately expensive unit... your kids will inherit it along with your MH.

12v compressors with cigarette lighter plugs are a joke. Many cigarette lighter outlets in todays cars don't have enough current capacity. I've had more success cutting off the lighter plugs and installing battery clamps.

Personally, I'd mount whatever compressor you chose in a compartment... if it's an AC power driven compressor then chose a compartment that has an AC outlet (or install a new outlet). Don't bother installing permanent air lines so you can plug in from the corners... your MH is a 1 bedroom apartment that is driving down the road creating a continuous 3 to 4 point earthquake. Unless you use pro grade braided metal air hoses (expensive) with good fittings the lines will develop new leaks as soon as you fix the old leaks. Just use the factory air connections on the front of the compressor and have enough air hose(s) to reach all 4 corners of the MH. My friend packs with the compressor an air hose that is long enough to reach the front and rear of the near side, and an extension hose that when coupled with the primary hose allows reaching the front and rear of the other side. If you have a toad you may want a second extension hose so you can reach all 4 toad tires and the bike rack on the back of the toad...

Another tip: I've been told that the oilless compressors use 1-shot teflon seals that are not repairable... when they go bad you replace the compressor. The oil-lubricated ones last longer but put microdroplets of oil in the air.

We have a 30 year old oil-lubed compressor at work and there is an oil filter and a moisture filter on it. We don't need oil or water droplets in the air feeding the paint sprayers. Water droplets? Yes. When you compress humid air it squeezes the moisture into water droplets. Some collects in the bottom of the tank and rusts it from the inside out. Moisture in the air used to inflate tires will rust the rims from the inside out. You will see many permanently mounted compressors that have a water drain valve on the bottom of the tank. Motor homes with air brakes (and therefore air compressors and air tanks) have manual drain valves with color-coded lanyards.

Mike
Old 10-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #9

If you ever want to upsize to 22.5" wheels you will definitely want something better than a small pancake compressor. After several years and many hours wasted airing up coach, tow dolly, toad and motorcycle tires I bought a 12Vdc ViAir 400 and gave my 120Vac pancake compressor to one of my sons.
I bought the brand new ViAir off Craigslist the first time I looked for one from a guy who didn't need it who got it as a gift . He only lived a mile from our campground. I paid $160 for it NIB. I intend to leave it in my will for my 3 sons to arm wrestle for it.[emoji1783]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I wonder what everyone's opinion is of THIS MINI 3-GALLON PANCAKE COMPRESSOR from Harbor Freight, on sale now for $39.99.
I have this one and I bought it because it was cheap, it has a tank, and I was able to pick it up while traveling.

It is fairly small, it is light, it has has a very low power draw that can easily be run off my inverter. It is also semi loud, takes a "long" time (4-5 min) to get up to full pressure, is a semi odd shape to store.

I bought mine to be able to air up my UTV tires, blow out the air filter, blow out the interior, fill up inflatables and do my truck/trailer tires if needed.

On the positive I can blow things out with this compressor, which I am not sure you can do with the tankless style ones. On a negative note, I can only get my rv tires to about 95 psi (mine are 100 psi) with this compressor. However that 95 is high enough to get me to a service station.

I would not say it is good or bad, it really depends on your intended use. For filling RV tires, it is probably not good, if you want to be able to blow things and be able to air up a tire enough in an "emergency" then I would say it is worth it.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I have this one and I bought it because it was cheap, it has a tank, and I was able to pick it up while traveling.

It is fairly small, it is light, it has has a very low power draw that can easily be run off my inverter. It is also semi loud, takes a "long" time (4-5 min) to get up to full pressure, is a semi odd shape to store.

I bought mine to be able to air up my UTV tires, blow out the air filter, blow out the interior, fill up inflatables and do my truck/trailer tires if needed.

On the positive I can blow things out with this compressor, which I am not sure you can do with the tankless style ones. On a negative note, I can only get my rv tires to about 95 psi (mine are 100 psi) with this compressor. However that 95 is high enough to get me to a service station.

I would not say it is good or bad, it really depends on your intended use. For filling RV tires, it is probably not good, if you want to be able to blow things and be able to air up a tire enough in an "emergency" then I would say it is worth it.
Thank you for your evaluation.

Our motor home tires require 65psi (based on scale-weight) so it would seem the Harbor Freight mini-pan would meet that need, and also for our bicycle tires that required 90 psi.

Does anything self-store in or on that compressor, or do I need a second container for the attachments & hose.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #12

Thanks everybody for your insight - lot of good information
Old 10-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #13

With a class C that only requires 65psi, why not consider the Viaair 88P?
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You might also look at the Porter Cable CMB515. It's a 150psi compressor that only weighs about 20lbs and works quite well on my 110psi tires. It's about $120 at Lowe's, Amazon, etc.
X2

I have a 5 gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor in the garage, but I found the CMB515 a better choice for use/storage in the motorhome. I did get a longer heavy duty air hose to use with it so that with one extension cord, I can plug it in to one outlet and reach all the tires.

I've also used it to inflate a tire with only 10 lbs. of pressure left in it. Check the owners manual for monitoring running time restrictions. For topping off tires, it makes the job easy and quick. For my rig, the rear tires are kept at 90 lbs. psi and the front tires at 85 lbs. psi.

The Viair compressor may be a good option (I didn't look at the specs) and they are highly rated products, but if you want to spend less money, there are other options. And, it depends on whether size matters!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor