Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Air conditioner Woes

I have a 2017 tiffin wayfarer. The air conditioner has stopped working and I have taken it to my favorite truck repair. They say the compressor is shot. The air conditioner has a heat pump in it and it is a 15 Mach Coleman. Apparently these are not available anymore. So we are trying to locate a 10 Mach air conditioner without the heat pump. This also is a problem since nobody seems to have any. I am looking for suggestions as to where my mechanic can look for new or used units. I am also wondering if it’s even possible to really rebuild a compressor and who would do such a task. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Ivygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a new one from PPL Houston, but that was about 6 yrs ago. You would have to call to see what they have in inventory. Good luck with the hunt.

http://https://www.pplmotorhomes.com...ir-conditioner

Ooops bad link. Try this one:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-parts-rv-accessories
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivygirl View Post
I have a 2017 tiffin wayfarer. The air conditioner has stopped working and I have taken it to my favorite truck repair. They say the compressor is shot. The air conditioner has a heat pump in it and it is a 15 Mach Coleman. Apparently these are not available anymore. So we are trying to locate a 10 Mach air conditioner without the heat pump. This also is a problem since nobody seems to have any. I am looking for suggestions as to where my mechanic can look for new or used units. I am also wondering if it’s even possible to really rebuild a compressor and who would do such a task. Any suggestions would be helpful.
At the current age, I'm kind of surprised the compressor has failed. Often the compressor start capacitor(s) fail long before the compressor itself has mechanical failure.

I second the suggestion to try PPL. I replaced my Coleman Mach 1 with a Mach 3 last year; PPL had it in stock, ordered on a Sunday evening and picked it up at the freight terminal on Weds.

Good luck.

Edit ps: seldom are these units rebuildable but will defer to those with direct experience with this model.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
At the current age, I'm kind of surprised the compressor has failed. Often the compressor start capacitor(s) fail long before the compressor itself has mechanical failure.

I second the suggestion to try PPL. I replaced my Coleman Mach 1 with a Mach 3 last year; PPL had it in stock, ordered on a Sunday evening and picked it up at the freight terminal on Weds.

Good luck.

Edit ps: seldom are these units rebuildable but will defer to those with direct experience with this model.
The OP stated "truck shop" so I have to wonder how much experience the shop has with repairing RV rooftop air conditioners. I'd sure want to make sure it wasn't something easy to fix, such as a bad capacitor.

Ivygirl, is the compressor not starting up at all? Or is it running but not cooling?
Old 06-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
.....The air conditioner has a heat pump in it and it is a 15 Mach Coleman. Apparently these are not available anymore. ...
A/C in modern RVs violate the KISS principle.

You have a standard vent. Drop any RV A/C unit in the hole. Plug it into 120 vac. Turn the ON/OFF swtch to the ON postion. Set the temperature. No remore or computer logic card needed.

That was 40 years ago.

At the time, I thought if you needed A/C you were camping in the wrong place. Then I found myself living full time for work. Bought a A/C at camping store (before RVing) after work and had it installed before dark.

And you can still do that that today.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I vote you have a bad capacitor. The coleman mach 15 has 3 capacitors.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:17 AM   #7

Air conditioner Woes

Thank you for all posts. There is still nothing available for replacement, but I will have my repair people check the capacitors.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:28 AM   #8

It does not start at all.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check e trailer
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
It does not start at all.
Could still be something else but a bad capacitor would certainly be the cause of a compressor no start.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #11

Same problem on ours last month (also a Coleman Mach), mobile RV tech said it was shot without even bothering to look at it and said it'd cost $1500 to replace it. Replaced the start and run capacitors after researching the problem on-line. $60 in parts, 20 minutes work and it runs like new. Never believe the first opinion!!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say it does not start at all, does that mean nothing happens? No fan, also?
Because if that is the case I doubt the compressor is bad. Sounds like an electrical issue. Could be a burnt wiring issue, contactor issue or as others have mentioned a failed capacitor.
Mechanics these days don't want to troubleshoot anymore. It's too expensive labor-wise to tie up a tech to take the time to actually find and fix the problem. The standard these days is to just replace it and let the customer absorb the cost. I have run into this time and time again and is why I always attempt to fix it myself first.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #13

Air Conditioner Woes

Thank you for the last two posts. I will try to have the capacitors checked.
I am a 74 year old woman who went into the medical profession instead of mechanics. I am very inept when it comes to fixing things. I do love the motorhome and like to travel with my dogs.

Tags
air, air conditioner