Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2023, 03:04 PM   #15

I did two things in a hot part of a trip. Overnight I ran the AC down as cold as they would go. We’d wake up to 55 degrees. I also added the silver bubble wrap to any window I could. And then I never ever let the ACs turn off as they would never catch back up. This worked with two 15 k AC on a 37 footer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #16

UPDATE: Replaced the 13.5k unit with a 15k Coleman Mach. Confirmed that operated with the thermostat and the current ductwork. Relocated the 13.5k to the vent cutout above the rear bedroom. This is already preducted since the evening can come with two 13.5k units. I used the diverter panel that came with the 15k. Panel has controls built in, just needed electricity. Found the the roof panels are bonded inside the ceiling and couldn’t be removed easily. I ended up using wire moulding to hide with wiring. I wish I could have hidden the wiring, but function over fashion I guess. Got the wiring finished yesterday and let it run in 80 heat in the sun for an hour. Forty seven degrees out of the vent. The bedroom felt like a meat locker. Hopefully this and the larger main unit will manage the heat on our next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70881207751__BC403704-1DB7-441B-A5D9-DF78CC04B8D8.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	395849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	395850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3303.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	395851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3301.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	395852  

CarlV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:09 AM   #17

Nice work. Since you were up there anyway....did you install A/C Soft-Starts in each unit? That will smooth out the sudden start-up current draw when one or both ACs are running.
Piney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #18

Nope. Didn’t see the need since I never had an issue previously. I can run either unit at my house off of a regular outlet in my shop.
I do have one more question. Does anyone think I need to install a GFCI for the second unit? I has its own dedicated plug. Or should I just rely on the circuit breaker on the camp electrical post?
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2023, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Nope. Didn’t see the need since I never had an issue previously. I can run either unit at my house off of a regular outlet in my shop.
I do have one more question. Does anyone think I need to install a GFCI for the second unit? I has its own dedicated plug. Or should I just rely on the circuit breaker on the camp electrical post?
Thanks!
Nope on the GFCI,, you're probably plugging into one at the pedestal anyway. Even if not, a regular 15/20 amp breaker covers it.

The new A/C isn't mounted in the bathroom, just above the steamy shower stall, is it?
Old 06-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks!
GFCIs are for ground faults. You would need to be touching the unit and a ground source.

They are not overload protection, that a circuit breakers job.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:09 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Carl- This has been done successfully by quite a few folks. I found some reading matter by using the search box on this forum.......might be worth your time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=add+...=irv2.com#ip=1

If I had kept my Class C I would have done what you are suggesting. To keep it simple, I was contemplating using a (ceiling) "local control" unit and skipping the second T-Stat.

Most of the folks who did the mod ran a separate romex from the 2nd unit to a J-box and then a separate power cord to the pedestal. Then they planned to use a 50amp site and plug in both power cords......using the dogbone for the main power to the coach and the 20 amp pedestal outlet for their 2nd AC. All that wouldn't work so well if you like boondocking of course.

I was planning on using an indoor raceway for the 2nd unit's power .... one of the plastic ones with the snap cover.............then down a closet to a J-box. Seems like that would be pretty unobtrusive as it would be "whiteish" on the white ceiling.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/covered%...conduit?NCNI-5

Good luck with the mod and good times and safe travels to ya - - - -

BTW- If you proceed with the project, please document it (lotsa pictures too) and post back. This subject comes up pretty often and a some documented info would help many RVers who consider this kind of project a daunting task but they are tired of "roasting" too.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:33 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ooooops. I failed to read all the earlier posts. My bad.

Congrats on the good work.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Ooooops. I failed to read all the earlier posts. My bad.

Congrats on the good work.
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-21-2023, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
GFCIs are for ground faults. You would need to be touching the unit and a ground source.

They are not overload protection, that a circuit breakers job.
Thank you! I wanted to confirm that the circuit breaker on the pole would do the job. We’re off to New Orleans at the end of the month. Want to make sure we stay cool.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:15 PM   #25

Just got home from our trip to New Orleans. First stop was Chattanooga TN for two nights. Got up the first morning and my wife said her drink on the nightstand was still cold. When we had a separate 20amp hookup available, there was no issue with temperature. Even when we didn’t, the new 15k btu unit performed fine. Now I’m considering hooking the rear unit into the ductwork (it’s already there in the cutout) and installing a separate thermostat for the bedroom. This would eliminate the manual control and would also lower the noise level.
Thanks to all that offered advice and opinions!
Old 07-27-2023, 07:01 PM   #26

Quote:
I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds 31E. Last summer, coming back from the west coast we stopped overnight in OK. The first week of July. It was HOT. The AC unit was a joke. It barely kept the camper at 80. It has worked fine since in less extreme temperatures. I am pondering replacing it with a 15k BTU unit. (Currently is 13.5k original, unsure of brand). Do I add another 13.5k unit in the bedroom? This would be wired to run off of shore power by a 15amp circuit and not connected to the 30amp shore power. Or I could install the old 13.5k unit in the bedroom and a brand new 15k in the kitchen.
Just looking for advice from people that have added a second unit to their rigs.
Thanks in advance!
Start with a 15K where the 13.5K is now and see how it works, if still not enough than put the 13.5K in the bedroom area, 2 AC's on 30 amp won't leave enough juice for other stuff.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #27

Quote:
UPDATE: Replaced the 13.5k unit with a 15k Coleman Mach. Confirmed that operated with the thermostat and the current ductwork. Relocated the 13.5k to the vent cutout above the rear bedroom. This is already preducted since the evening can come with two 13.5k units. I used the diverter panel that came with the 15k. Panel has controls built in, just needed electricity. Found the the roof panels are bonded inside the ceiling and couldn’t be removed easily. I ended up using wire moulding to hide with wiring. I wish I could have hidden the wiring, but function over fashion I guess. Got the wiring finished yesterday and let it run in 80 heat in the sun for an hour. Forty seven degrees out of the vent. The bedroom felt like a meat locker. Hopefully this and the larger main unit will manage the heat on our next trip!

That looks really good! I've got a 32' Class C with a single unit. Adding the 2nd unit in the bedroom is what I'm wanting to do as well. Hopefully I can get that added before our next summer trip to Florida.
ericmac450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, air, air conditioning