Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Alarms for outside temperature monitoring

I wondering if anyone has an idea how to monitor and alarm outside temperature changes. I'm concerned about temps dropping and water hoses/pipes freezing. Any ideas!
Als3rdhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a wireless weather station with a remote sending unit in the open propane bay for outside temperature, and one in my wet bay. I can customize the temperature and humidity alerts.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Sounds like something that might work for me. Do you have a name and model # to share. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Is this for when the RV is parked in storage, or when you are living in it?

If when in storage, it's the "forecasted" temps that matter.....too late to do anything
when you get the alert that it's -10F and you didn't winterize the plumbing !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Check out this thread also, as many monitoring options are discussed also

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280368
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

No, it's when we are camping. I just want to know if the temp drops below freezing at night. I tried one unit and the alarm is so quiet and brief. Would like something to wake me up to turn on the tank heaters on and disconnect the water supply hose to the RV.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Als3rdhand View Post
Sounds like something that might work for me. Do you have a name and model # to share. Thanks for your help.
The one I have is a La Crosse C87214 Dual Alarm Clock with USB Charging Port C87214 that I got over the holidays for $20 at Costco. It is full color, shows temperature, humidity, forecast, time & date. It monitors indoor and comes with one remote sensor, but can monitor a total of three, so I purchased an additional one.

Now the bad news is I don't see it on Costco's website, and it looks like the price is around $40 to $50 elsewhere.

There are other models available for less that should work fine for your application.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
No, it's when we are camping. I just want to know if the temp drops below freezing at night. I tried one unit and the alarm is so quiet and brief. Would like something to wake me up to turn on the tank heaters on and disconnect the water supply hose to the RV.
I don't like getting up in the middle of the night, so I look at the forecast instead. If its supposed to stay over 32F, the hose stays attached. It takes a lot for the temperature above 32F to go much below 32F if its not part of a major front. The hose won't freeze solid if it spends a few hours at 30F. Running water in the morning will warm it up since the water underground will be significantly warmer than 32F.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I'll take it from here, but again thank you all.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #10

Amazon.com - AcuRite 00606 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Clock -I have been using this for a year and a half.

But I check the forecast and turn on the heated water hose, water heater on AC and open the vanity cabinet doors if it's going to get below freezing. Thermostat is set for 60 degrees F.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I wondering if anyone has an idea how to monitor and alarm outside temperature changes. I'm concerned about temps dropping and water hoses/pipes freezing. Any ideas!
I suggest this one - I put one sensor in the basement floor below the water tank and the other sensor can go next to your water line on the ground if you like. Each sensor has set-able alarms for too hot and too cold, alarms can be turned on or off to suit situations. For example I turn the alarms off while RV is in storage so the alarms don't go off and run down the batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

We do a lot of winter and cold weather camping. We just keep the water tank about 1/2 full and unhook the hose if it's going to be in the teens. Anything above that generally isn't an issue.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a "trouble light" in the service compartment. I ran a new circuit out of the breaker box connected to its own breaker and can turn the light on and off as required. A 60 watt bulb raises the temperature about 10 degrees with the light on.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote