Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #29

I’m just 77 and driving those speeds scares me to death with the tires that are out there today. With so much manufacturing in China and no truck tire rated for faster than 65mph continuous speed I hold my speed to 62, that also is the rpm the engine is most efficient at, that gives me the best performance and fuel economy. The journey is just as great as the destination, especially when you’re alive to get there. We have a saying in trucking, if you have to speed to make your destination on time you should’ve left sooner.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I recommend driving slower. Like 65 seems to be fast enough for me. I may exceed it to pass a slow truck. I drove about 70 in some areas where the speed limit is 75 to 80 in various States on my last trip. Remember things happen and reaction times take longer at a higher speed.

Maybe I am getting old. I like being safe. I had two blowouts on my last 8000 mile trip.
The most recommended speed for RVers is 65 miles and the safest is 60 miles per hour
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #31

My caster is set at 4.2, might have them change that to 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Primarily the issue is the 195" wheelbase under a 30' MH. The manufacturers do this all the time and it really is hard to overcome. Sounds like you've made all the major mods, have you weighed the coach and inflated the tires per the tire manufacturer's load chart? Different tires also can make a huge difference. One other suggestion is to set the toe in to at least 1/4". That made a significant difference on my MH that had similar proportions.
amstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #32

I don’t plan to be going 80 miles an hour, I used that as an example of what I had experience in past units and my disappointment with this unit
Traveling at 65 when the speed limit is 70 just allows for more sway fears, when semi are passing you, instead of you keeping pace with them and avoiding the sway chances.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #33

Another Data Point

Just for another data point, I'm currently driving a similar '87 Mallard this thread started out with, 26' on Ford E350 chassis with 460 engine. The suspension is completely stock. Like the original poster, I find it very stable and comfortable to drive. I don't go 80 routinely, but when I first bought it I did not know the speedometer reads low, and was trying to keep up with traffic on the interstate, thinking I was going 65 which was actually about 78! Got lousy gas mileage on that trip, but no steering/swaying issues.
dkdeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #34

My 1987 mallard didn’t have slide outs and I wonder if the weight of slides could be the problem My 2020 Jayco 27u has two slides and both are on the driver side, and could it be unbalance
Old 11-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier View Post
My caster is set at 4.2, might have them change that to 5
Get as much caster as you can get, ie you may be able to get up to 6.2 degrees.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My first thought is RV stands for recreational vehicle not RACE vehicle. Our top speed on the road is 65mph. Over that you can have handling issues, excessive wear and lower fuel economy.

I'd just slow down.

Ken
Agreed, I set the cruise at 62/63 don't care what the speed limit I'll get there eventually. Crazy thing is even at 63 you will find yourself having to move to the middle lane to pass someone in a 70mph zone, and by someone I don't mean another RV.
Triplee 1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #37

We have an Entegra Odyssey 24B on a E450. I love how it handles. It is a very easy drive and very smooth. I am not a quick driver. NEVER in a hurry, I did that sh*t when I was working. Now I go 60 tops and dont drive a lot in a day. I drove on the German Autobahns (not in a C class) where I learned very quickly not to hold up traffic so I am very conscious about that.

2022 Flagstaff EPro 19fd
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote