RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Am I getting old

I had an 1987 Mallard class c Motorhome on a Ford cutaway frame ( it died 15 years ago. I was able to feel in control driving at 80 miles per hour on the expressway towing a boat.
We brought a Jayco greyhawk 27u and I did all the upgrades, sumo springs front and back, new sway bar on front, tighten up the helper springs( jride) changed the shocks to Bilsten, added the track bar, but I still uncomfortable driving over 65 mph.

Could it be that the new one has slides thus more weight? It's when a semi passes and it moves a little, but not as much as it did before the modifications.

Any ideas, why the old one I could drive for ever and faster,( the cab was also larger) and now I cant go over 65.

Also wondering if the motor homes on a f550 frame handle better?
amstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommend driving slower. Like 65 seems to be fast enough for me. I may exceed it to pass a slow truck. I drove about 70 in some areas where the speed limit is 75 to 80 in various States on my last trip. Remember things happen and reaction times take longer at a higher speed.

Maybe I am getting old. I like being safe. I had two blowouts on my last 8000 mile trip.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
65 seems to be fast enough for me. I may exceed it to pass a slow truck. I drove about 70 in some areas where the speed limit is 75 to 80.
As do I, largely for fuel consumption reasons.

I believe the OP has a grasp of vehicular dynamics and that a higher center or gravity (heavy slides?). Chassis torsional stiffness is crucial, as those mods depend on it.

Last I checked, we're ALL aging as the opposite is chilling (so to speak).
Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Some motorhomes just handle better than others! Can't be the age cause I'm 81 an just middle age!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #5

I like being on the safe side as well. I never intentionally drive over 65 unless we are on the turnpike with the 80 mph limit. Still not comfortable over 70, and I have put every suspension upgrade known to man on mine.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first thought is RV stands for recreational vehicle not RACE vehicle. Our top speed on the road is 65mph. Over that you can have handling issues, excessive wear and lower fuel economy.

I'd just slow down.

Ken
Old 10-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Front end alignment made a world of difference on my E350. Caster has to be close to the 5 range.
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #8

It's just seems like we have gone down hill on drivability of class c ford e450, comparing my old one to the new one. My old one seem a lot more stable, I don't have to drive 80, I just want to feel comfortable. I still be blown by semi, especially car haulers.

I did have the castor adjusted. My first trip I needed two lanes to drive it and the wheel cocked 90 degrees. Then I did all of the upgrades.

All my other vehicles have all the bells and whistles, while the e450 is still in the dark ages.

Has anyone compaired the e450 and the the f550?
amstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier View Post
It's just seems like we have gone down hill on drivability of class c ford e450, comparing my old one to the new one. My old one seem a lot more stable, I don't have to drive 80, I just want to feel comfortable. I still be blown by semi, especially car haulers.

I did have the castor adjusted. My first trip I needed two lanes to drive it and the wheel cocked 90 degrees. Then I did all of the upgrades.

All my other vehicles have all the bells and whistles, while the e450 is still in the dark ages.

Has anyone compaired the e450 and the the f550?

Hmmm ... I cannot understand what's going on with the negative comments I've read regarding handling with an E450 chassis under Class C motorhomes.

We have a small 2005 (24 ft.) Class C on an E450 chassis we bought new in 2006, and the chassis was at the time about 2500 lbs. underloaded. Starting from right when I drove it off the dealer's lot, it has handled like a van no matter how we load it up for trips.

The coach is 101 inches wide and about 11'6" tall. It handles and drives the same at 55 MPH or 75 MPH. I only need one hand on the steering wheel for comfortable control. The only issue has been a rough ride in the rear, which was nicely tamed by FSD shocks in the rear that I added after a few years of ownership. The front shocks are OEM with around 81K miles on them and the chassis.

I think the problem with many Class C motorhomes on an E450 chassis is either too much overall weight on the chassis, or not enough percentage of the overall weight on the front suspension - or maybe both in combination.

It's a mystery.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstier View Post
I had an 1987 Mallard class c Motorhome on a Ford cutaway frame ( it died 15 years ago. I was able to feel in control driving at 80 miles per hour on the expressway towing a boat.
We brought a Jayco greyhawk 27u and I did all the upgrades, sumo springs front and back, new sway bar on front, tighten up the helper springs( jride) changed the shocks to Bilsten, added the track bar, but I still uncomfortable driving over 65 mph.

Could it be that the new one has slides thus more weight? It's when a semi passes and it moves a little, but not as much as it did before the modifications.

Any ideas, why the old one I could drive for ever and faster,( the cab was also larger) and now I cant go over 65.

Also wondering if the motor homes on a f550 frame handle better?
Did the old Mallard have today's smooth riding, 2 ply sidewall, radial tires ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #11

Hi amstier,

Given all you had done, I hate to suggest trying one more suspension upgrade. But......

Try upgrading the steering stabilizer to a heavy duty version. It is the horizontal shock absorber mounted to your steering linkage up front.

Our rig (SEEN HERE) is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. It is scaled-down, lower-profile, aerodynamic, etc. I have rolled down hill at 85+ mph with total control. I surely don't suggest that is fine to do, it just happened.

Our rig is equipped with the following deviations.
- heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars
- heavy duty front and rear Bilstein shocks (CLICK HERE)
- heavy duty steering stabilizer
- rear trac bar

A few months ago, I replaced the stock front coil springs with lower-rated ones that still have weight margin, just less of it to lower the front and soften the ride. (CLICK HERE)
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #12

Try a sprinter class C. Much more sophisticated and mature drivetrain. The Ford V10 just guzzles gas and the powerband for a diesel is a much better fit for the use case.
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:19 AM   #13

Over inflated tires ie tires inflated beyond the published load and inflation table specs can cause road wander, hydroplaning and longer stopping distances and a bone jarring ride.

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #14

Going by what I have read here, class c units have handling issues. Not all but many.
A lot of owners have reported spending a lot of money to upgrade the suspensions. Why is this necessary? Are these units too heavy for the chassis and thus overloaded especially after a load of fuel, water, food, etc.

So what is the answer? Test drive before you buy. Research. Ask other owners.

Finally there is also the chance that you have a faulty part or tire. You may need to upgrade your tires.
JMHO
Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote