Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #15

Welded up

Here is a pic of the passenger side frame welded up. I suck at welding, but they will stick together. Worst of the rusty parts were cut out and replaced, and the whole thing was reinforced.

Bottom is 1x1.5 box tubing. The rest is 1x1.

Drivers side is nearly done too. A lot of grinding left to do and then I start on wood.
shawnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #16

Wow! I just found a soft spot in my class c. And was curious about doing the repair, but wow!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Does any of the bunk weight rest on the chassis structure or is it all a cantilever load?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #18

You made a great deal, and when it's done, you'll have a real good camper for a nice price. One mistake people make is over-building. Putting 2x4's in where the maker used 1x2's, that sort of thing. Don't make it any heavier than absolutely necessary. 3/4" plywood is very heavy, and it still needs support. If you need support, it will be a lot better to build it in via the framing, not by trying to use heavy plywood.

I would not use treated wood either. Some people do that. But it's heavy and it can warp and shrink.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #19

Welds are all finished and ground flush.

Primered:

and the additional "shelf" bracket to support the bunk board.

The plan is to have the weight bunk resting on the angle iron and then some on the cab. The piece directly above the cab will be more for insulation and decoration rather than structural.

The back part of the bunk is supported by the chassis and the center by the roof of the cab if the truck (at least some). Here is a pic that shows where else it is supported:

Net step is to do wood & insulation. very similar to original. I am going to look at spray foam insulation, but it may not be in the budget.

Current plan is to use fiberglass panels (4x8 sheets) for the sides and I am just going to glass the top & front myself rather than buy filon.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #20

If you want to leave any rotted wood in place, look at rotdoctor.com. I used his CPES on a trailer rot repair and was very happy with it. Nasty to work with, so do follow the breather warning.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #21

Great job on the reframing. I was really concerned with all the work & leaving the bad tubing.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #22

I got the round "boobies" on the front of the cab and the wood going up the slope.

The interior plywood is luan flooring. Pretty stiff stuff, but was able to bend it around the curve. This is how it was attached to the steel framework:

Problem is the the width is a little over 8ft, so I had to use 2 panels and seam them in the middle. The middle section with the seam didn't want to bend to match the curve with the steel so things were bowed downward in the center.

A combination of scoring it with a circular saw about 1/16" deep and laying a hot/wet blanket on it relaxed it overnight and made it close enough to continue. 1 1/2" foamboard insulation glued in between upright boards.

3/4 plywood inside as the bed. It is supported by the angle iron on the steel framework so there should be minimal weight on the cab itself.

Next step is to wrap the front in 1/4 plywood, close up the sides & bottom, then fiberglass it all in.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #23

Covered the front round part with 1" strips of luan. I tried 2" wide ones first, but it would not have been smooth enough to cover with fiberglass. I just didn't think it would look "right" so I pulled them off and replaced with 1" wide strips.

It looks much smoother.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I always wondered what it looked like naked! You are making it much better than it once was!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #25

Looks great will last forever the way you are building it
Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #26

Better then new.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #27

Great frame work! I got lucky and didn't have to get that involved. However I did have to clean in sections after securing partial framework for the bunk.

As soon as I figure out how to add picture to post I will share a few
vol445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol445 View Post
As soon as I figure out how to add picture to post I will share a few
How to add photos to a post
  • Click Quick Reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click Go Advanced, add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click Manage Attachments. A separate window will pop up.
  • Click Browse... then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
  • Click Submit Reply to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
You can also:
  • Click Post Reply or, if starting a new thread, click New Thread
  • Click on the paperclip symbol in the top row of the message box. A separate window will pop up.
  • Click Browse...then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
  • Click Submit Reply (if you are replying) or Submit New Thread (if a new discussion) to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
About attachment storage limits

When you upload a copy of an image file (or other attachment) it is stored on our servers. There are some restrictions on how much data can be stored.

Registered members are limited to 50 MB of attachment storage for items posted to threads and posts and 100 MB for files posted to the photo gallery. We highly recommend that you reduce file sizes before uploading them to posts and threads.

Contributing members have unlimited attachment storage for threads and posts. A contributing membership is an annual commitment. If a contributing membership reverts to a standard account, loaded images will still remain, but if you have exceeded the storage limits of a standard member account (50 MB), you may be unable to load more attachments. And remember ... all images loaded to posts (regardless of your membership status) must meet the size requirement above. If they are larger, they will fail to load.

How to embed an image stored on another site:
You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image from our photo gallery into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.

Other helpful hints for navigating the forums

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote