Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Another GPS Thread

Been looking through various threads and Q/A's on GPS's and am considering a possible update for out Class C. Garmin seems to the choice of the vast majority of users but there often seems to be a love / hate relationship with the units. We are considering one of the RV specific units and it now appears that there are only two choices form Garmin - the RV 660 LMT and the new, not yet available RV 770 LMT-S. Looks like the RV 760 LMT has been discontinued. My questions are:

1) Are these really worth the money being asked?
2) Is an older (non RV) unit just as good?
3) Is the 760 worth chasing if prices really drops for being discontinued?
4) Are there other / better recommendations and if so, why?
5) Is there really a point of having the GPS if you have smartphones?

Realize this may be a redundant thread, but with the release pending of a new unit, I was curious before I let go of more money
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

HighDesert-

Yes, this is a redundant thread.

Any of the units mentioned will do a decent job, and all will fail you at some times.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

The unit I own allows me to tell the Garmin that I'm walking/driving, and what kind of vehicle I'm using..... car, motorcycle, truck/rv..... and those decisions will vary the outcome/route.....

What I really like is the ability to upgrade the maps FREE, I do it twice a year when I'm connected to someones wifi with no limit.... it take up to 6 hours to first download software updates, and than the updated maps....

I have a factory GPS in 2 of my vehicles.... and honestly I don't care for them.... very, very NOT USER FRIENDLY so I move my Garmin from vehicle to vehicle... one of my vehicles is only 18 months old but the map program was out of date at the time of the purchase and the dealer had nothing newer.... and its $$$$ to upgrade the maps...

My only regret is not having a larger screen... and will upgrade mine in the future...

I do have access to (2) map programs on my smartphone... I just like looking at the GPS and it stores a lot of way points where I return to often... I guess if I had a holder for the smartphone on the dash I'd consider that....
Old 03-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Rand McNalley in my RV with the 7 inch screen...one of the things i like is you can set your parameters of your RV and (hopefully) it will not route you on roads with bridges not tall enough for your RV. ( HATE that scraping sound as your AC unit is pealed off your roof)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a Garmin guy. With any GPS, READ THE MANUAL, learn the options. Also review your route to eliminate any anomalies. That said as above GPS is not perfect and may lead you astray. With the RV760 you get lots of warnings like curves and speed zones. One great help is lane assist, again not perfect but sure helps not being ing the wrong lane when you want to go straight thru or the correct lane for a new guest or off ramp, which are not all on the right side. Voice control is another great option for looking for a rest stop or fuel or a stop for the night(again a learning experience for use). Personally I halve several GPS and the RV760 in the MH and will be looking at the RV770LTM as an upgrade. Buy once cry once cheap is just that. If on a budget I would go for a RV760 at the good price.

LEN

Tags
gps