Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Anybody overweight?

Just wondering if anyone else has discovered that their rig is overweight. I was weighed at an Escapees Smart Weigh location, and they told me that I was 2000# overweight! According to the manufacturer, my weight carrying capacity is 1725# (Nexus Phantom 32P). I can't believe we have loaded more than 3000# of "stuff" in our motorhome! Looks like we're going to have to "clean house" big time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, our '02 Dutch Star was by 50#'s on the front axle if I filled the fuel and propane tanks before we ever loaded a thing or got onboard ourselves. Newmar fixed it by having Spartan put a new axle under the rig.
BTW, that weight they gave you is probably for a sample rig with very few options on it. Adding options will subtract from that allowance.
The Dutch Star had a NCC of 5,500#'s so I wasn't worried, turns out the rig had a CCC of 663#'s and all of that was on the rear axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmburns49 View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has discovered that their rig is overweight. I was weighed at an Escapees Smart Weigh location, and they told me that I was 2000# overweight! According to the manufacturer, my weight carrying capacity is 1725# (Nexus Phantom 32P). I can't believe we have loaded more than 3000# of "stuff" in our motorhome! Looks like we're going to have to "clean house" big time.

IMO carrying capacity is about as reliable as the MSRP. Both are fictitious and can be discounted many times by 20 - 30 %.

Or as reliable as towing capacity if you are looking at purchasing a truck to tow your RV. Calculated with a bare bones truck, skinny driver, without any options other than the ones needed to increase the capacity. Any options added reduce the capacity.

We were fortunate when we purchased our units. In the case of the coach there was a mandatory option for an increased capacity front axle. Without it we would be over.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were pleasantly surprised & relieved to discover we were significantly UNDERweight after starting to FT in our rig. :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
At first I was thinking why would anyone want to respond to this thread? I could feel better about losing 10 lbs. After reading I think the title should have read "Anyone's rig overweight"
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

On our last two purchases, we transferred our stuff from the old unit to the new one in the dealer's parking lot. We just sold our TT and the Forester won't be here until February so we had to unload everything into our garage.

OMG begins to describe the size of the pile. Most of this we've been hauling around the country for the past twelve years. We have sold or donated about a third of it so far.

Here's hoping the remainder's under the weight limit!
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous coach we were close to the limit (in terms of weight and toad vehicle towing capacity). Once taking delivery of our new coach last week, we got weighed and are 6,000 lbs under limit fully loaded with fuel, water, and supplies!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Dang right I'm overweight! Would love to get down to 205...OH, you mean is the rig overweight? Well, that's a bit tougher to determine.....

What a beautiful day in Palm Springs!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
6000 lbs under capacity??
Wow, that's some serious carrying capacity you've got there!
Could that possibly be a typo? That seems almost too much to be true. Note that I'm NOT calling you a liar or anything along those lines, that's just a HUGE amount of 'stuff' that you could carry, even subtracting for fuel and water.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Could that possibly be a typo? That seems almost too much to be true. Note that I'm NOT calling you a liar or anything along those lines, that's just a HUGE amount of 'stuff' that you could carry, even subtracting for fuel and water.
We are actually MORE than 7k lbs under weight! Full timers, also. And yes we had full fuel and fresh water.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Just like CC, no it's not a typo. Our GVWR is 49,000 lbs and our actual weight when recently at CAT scales was 43,280 lbs. Newmar last year upped their axle ratings which is reason for extra carrying capacity. I can't think of much more "stuff" we could put in coach that would increase our current weight.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Just like CC, no it's not a typo. Our GVWR is 49,000 lbs and our actual weight when recently at CAT scales was 43,280 lbs. Newmar last year upped their axle ratings which is reason for extra carrying capacity. I can't think of much more "stuff" we could put in coach that would increase our current weight.
I hear a lot of the Quartzsite attraction is due to rock collecting. I'm thinking that's probably it :-)
Old 12-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
I hear a lot of the Quartzsite attraction is due to rock collecting. I'm thinking that's probably it :-)
That's a lot of rocks!!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
On our prior RV, total weight wasn't a problem, but maxing out the rear axle rating was an item I had to watch very closely.

Tags
weight