Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #1

Anyone know what this valve is?

Hi Folks

Any one know what this valve is. It for the fresh water supply and It ls located after the output of the water pump. I just noticed this valve is leaking very slowly (a drip every few minutes) from the control knob I turned the control knob many turns in each direction but do not notice any difference in the water output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_175142.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	294149  
Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #2

Looks like it might be tho an ice maker. Appears to be in shut off position.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

X2 - that's a water shut-off valve alright. If it's developed a drip it probably needs to be replaced. Something you can pick-up at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

Definitely not shutting off. To do so the handle would be at 90 degrees to the hose line.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
From the photo, it looks like it is a rebuildable valve. If you shut off the water and drain the system you should be able to turn the top of the valve out of the body with the nut under the handle, clean it, replace o rings, and reseat it. Problem is the flex tubing may crack, valve may break, and repacking the valve may not be possible. If you choose to try to rebuild it, have a new sharkbite valve on hand just in case.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Agree it appears to be a shut off valve that needs to be 90* to the line to cut water flow. The problem I see is the bracket that is holding the line to the wall. It doesn’t look to be affixed with screws or other removable hardware and you’ll need to remove that bracket to work on the valve.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #7

The water tubing , being grey , and not clear , could be ; poly B ; and not pex .
There is writing on the tube to the left of the valve .

Knowing exactly what you're dealing with is important if replacing the valve is required , poly B , could require a different valve and clamps.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

The valve is a cheap one that turns several times to open and close

The packing often leaks

Tighten it lightly
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Looks like it might be tho an ice maker. Appears to be in shut off position.
Ours, at least, is not a ball valve, so you cannot tell the difference between open and closed by the position of the handle. I do agree that it looks like an ice maker valve, though.

To the OP, if it's leaking from the packing (that is, around the valve stem or from the threaded part of the center), try to tighten it a bit. Don't overdo it. You're aiming for snug, not tight.

The good news is a replacement valve is probably less than $10, perhaps even less than $5.

[Edit: I see Milford 47 gave the same advice about trying to tighten it. I am guilty of not reading all the posts before posting. Sorry 'bout that. But it's still an inexpensive valve to replace if that doesn't work. Take it out and bring it to a good hardware store.]
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #10

Hi Folks
Thanks for the replies. A couple notes on the comments..
1) The valve is not for the ice maker...It is in the Main Water Line. It is right on the Output of the Water Pump.
2) The valve is not mounted on the wall. It is mounted on the floor. I have a couch along the window. Under the couch cushion is the Fresh Water tank, The Water Pump and this valve.
3) The valve does not have a adjuster nut to tighten the knob. So I dont see how to tighten.

Attached is a closer view. You can see where the water is seeping. Also note.. The valve appears to have an output that runs down and outside of the coach. ( circled this in red) I suspect this may be a valve to allow one to completely drain the water system. But I can not see underneath because the outside storage bay blocks the view.

My thought is to remove this point of failure and replace it with a straight line. I am boondocking currently and will have to cut my trip short bc it is starting to soak the carpeting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valve 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	294221  
Old 07-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #11

That makes it seem that it's a low point drain valve. If it is then if you put in a straight piece and eliminate the valve you might have water constantly running out of wherever the other end of the line is. Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
YC1

Put a drip pan under it and turn off your water pump until needed. Of course that won't work is it is spurting. Might be able to wrap in tape with pressure off for a temporary fix.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #13

Hi Folks
Just wanted to provide an update. The valve was a low point drain valve that allows one to drain the fresh H2O system out the bottom of the coach. Also note the valve does NOT open an close by turning the petcock as one would expect. The valve is open by physically grabbing the petcock and pulling it upwards, and the valve is closed by physically pushing the petcock down. THat is why when I rotated the petcock it didnt make any difference. Anyway that thing is gone, replaced with a straight pipe.
BTW I did find two other low point valves under the kitchen sink so I can use thoes if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-30 182557.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	295157  

Tags
valve