Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anyone Own a Coachmen Prism?

Hey y'all,

My husband and I put a deposit down on a Coachmen Prism 24g, year 2014 at a dealership. I saw it yesterday, and he is going to look at it today. Does anyone out there own one, or have an opinion on them? The dealer said really good things about it, and it checked a lot of boxes for us in a 25 foot diesel Sprinter chassis. But it never hurts to reach out to the forum and see if there are any opinions or experiences of others who have been there. thanks again!
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Can't find too much negative about them online in general. I don't see many come through here, and I live on the border with Michigan. We get a lot of RV traffic through here all year long, and Prisms are scarce in my experience. Like many other popular models.
I don't know how popular they are based on your question, and the lack of answers. It is the weekend, so maybe they're all out on the road somewhere?
Maybe check the Forest River/Coachmen sub forums to get more specific exposure to other owners? If that's the manufacturer? Example.....

Prism - Forest River Forums

As with all/most Sprinter based class C motorhomes, the main issues are fear of the diesel/DEF/SCR systems and where to get them serviced, cost of repairs, wheel speed sensor issues, and the comparatively small cargo carrying capacity, once you load them up for travel.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for your comments. I did find a couple of owners on one of the two forums I am on, IRV2 and Forest River. So, hopefully someone will reply to me about their experiences. I do hear nothing but good reviews from Sprinter Chassis owners, so I guess that's good. Our dealer does not sell this RV, but got it in on a trade, so I do not see them around these parts on the road or on RVtrader either. It's fairly nice though for a 5-6 year old coach. Not totally perfect set up, but we'd have to spend another 15K or so to get everything I think. I just got the VIN number today, so i plan on getting with Forest River on Monday to go over the spec sheet too. Hopefully, we'll know soon whether to take the plunge and buy this one, especially since it would be our first RV. I've been researching RVing for 2 1/2 years steady now, but we're still newbies and wet behind the ears!
Old 10-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeektheSon1 View Post
Thank you for your comments. I did find a couple of owners on one of the two forums I am on, IRV2 and Forest River. So, hopefully someone will reply to me about their experiences. I do hear nothing but good reviews from Sprinter Chassis owners, so I guess that's good. Our dealer does not sell this RV, but got it in on a trade, so I do not see them around these parts on the road or on RVtrader either. It's fairly nice though for a 5-6 year old coach. Not totally perfect set up, but we'd have to spend another 15K or so to get everything I think. I just got the VIN number today, so i plan on getting with Forest River on Monday to go over the spec sheet too. Hopefully, we'll know soon whether to take the plunge and buy this one, especially since it would be our first RV. I've been researching RVing for 2 1/2 years steady now, but we're still newbies and wet behind the ears!
We've owned motorhomes since 2008 and we still consider ourselves newbies. There's always something new you can learn out there in the real world, and never be afraid to ask a question. It might save you a lot of heartache (and money) later on.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
We've owned motorhomes since 2008 and we still consider ourselves newbies. There's always something new you can learn out there in the real world, and never be afraid to ask a question. It might save you a lot of heartache (and money) later on.
Thanks again! I will definitely be asking questions, haha! There is so much more to learn than I know, and then actually doing it in real life is another thing too. Like dumping the tanks, etc. It will be a huge learning curve. I hope we are truly ready!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #6

You're off to a good start. Just remember that some topics on these forums draw all sorts of opinions, and not all are fact or first hand experience based. Trust, but verify is always a good rule of thumb when sifting through all the replies you'll get, depending on the subject matter.

You'll figure it out.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
There are several Prism owners here. More info further down in the "Chassis" section under "Sprinter chassis"
The Prism seems to be a little lighter built and may have a little more carrying capacity. Some have a 3500# hitch. (My 2016 Siesta Sprinter has a 5000# hitch but fully loaded I'm limited to 4200# towing) A Big consideration is always layout for your intended use.

Overall, the Sprinter chassis is easy and comfortable to drive, expect 14-16 mpg. At 49000 miles, I have had 3 speed sensor failures, all covered by warranty. (5year 100,000 mile emissions warranty) No other mechanical problems..

Hope it works out.. and enjoy
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen