RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

Are all Ford E-450's built on the same Ford chassis?

Hi Guys, This may be a stupid question but i'd rather ask it and know the answer than think I know it and be wrong.

When you buy a glass C that's over 30 feet on the Ford 450, are they all on the "Super Duty Chassis"? Or do some manufacturers use the Ford 450 on a different Ford chassis?

If the answer is "Yes, the Ford 450 is available on different chassis"... Then why would a manufacturer use one chassis over the other?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
RDG

The E450 is the same no matter what the length of the coach is. The Mfg sends the chassis to an outside source to have the frame lengthened. My Thor Four Winds was done by Mor Ride. I'm sure there are other company's that do the work also.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

My Thor Axis is on a E450 stripped chassis. No cab.

The class C's are on cutaway chassis.

My older 30 ft C had chassis extensions behind the axle. It had a 13 ft overhang.

My 26 foot Axis is cut and lengthened in the center for a longer wheelbase.

They are both E450s.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

Ford has a very detailed manual for chassis lengthening that those companies must follow to maintain the Ford warranty. Ford makes a couple of different wheelbases, and depending on the needs of the upfitter/coach maker, they pick one and use it or lengthen it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I thought that was the case and wanted to make sure. I should have realized if one company built on a chassis better then another they would have made the point. Thanks again
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

As CharlesinGA mentioned the current E450 Cutaway Chassis is offered in two wheelbases: 158 and 176 inches. Both are 261.1 inches in length. On longer coaches the manufacturer has the frame lengthened by welding extensions on the frame to support the added length of the coach body.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
As CharlesinGA mentioned the current E450 Cutaway Chassis is offered in two wheelbases: 158 and 176 inches. Both are 261.1 inches in length. On longer coaches the manufacturer has the frame lengthened by welding extensions on the frame to support the added length of the coach body.
Not to muddy the water any worse Ford is also offering two trim levels as well. It used to be crank windows vs. power but now it seems to be driver aids vs. none. The driver aids are adaptive cruise control with emergency brake assist, lane keeping assist, and driver monitor. To my knowledge only Winnebago has adopted the assisted chassis. There may be other differences between the two but I am not sure what.
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
Not to muddy the water any worse Ford is also offering two trim levels as well. It used to be crank windows vs. power but now it seems to be driver aids vs. none. The driver aids are adaptive cruise control with emergency brake assist, lane keeping assist, and driver monitor. To my knowledge only Winnebago has adopted the assisted chassis. There may be other differences between the two but I am not sure what.
Lazy Daze offers the new Ford Driver Assist Technology Package as an option. The package includes automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, post-impact braking, adaptive cruise control, distance alert and auto high beam control. The package requires the Ford factory AM/FM radio with Bluetooth, USB port and steering wheel mounted radio controls.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Yes , no maybe..

I would like to verify but not sure how, I have been under my old RV and many others, my winnie is the 190" wheel base.. the center section is definety done with a Factory kit.. forged formed pieces, no cut splice cap... ford part stcikers on them, ame for the wiring running frame lenght as well as fuel lines, brake lines, all carry ford part number stickers..
NOW the rear extention of almost 60 inchs looks like a local votech school added it.. I realized why they ony want a 3500lb tow.... lame..
I fixed that up as my son did chassis design/fab/welding in an advanced motorsports course.. Still not to tow alot more but piece of mnd..
The wheel base of 190 and I have seen a 200 or so is done by centersection mods , not the add on..

Back to the post.. here are 2020/2021 specs..
I should have post ambulance prep.. as that addes a second chassis batter.240 amp altenaer, posi rear.. some things the serious RV nut may want..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021layout.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	306253   Click image for larger version

Name:	mhpack.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	306254  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021spec.jpg