Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Atrophy

How many of us think all the new Hi-Tech accessories and systems on the new coaches are an improvement and make our lives easier ?

From the threads I read here , it seems like every new Hi-Tech system or accessory can be more of a hassle than a benefit.

The more complicated the system the greater the chance of Atrophy .

Such as , your freshwater system won't let you fill the tank .

Or the hydraulic levelers won't retract .

The slides go out but won't retract.

The On Demand Water Heater doesn't provide consistent HW .

Just to name a few.

I'm really looking forward to when the new steer by wire and the self driving modes start to breakdown .

One thing we can be sure of is , it will happen and it will happen at the worst time.

Give me the old freshwater fill intake , 6gal. HW tank , leveling pads , and no slides .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #2

This is why I went looking for a clean low-mileage rig built in the 90's. When I'm on the road, I want systems that I can actually fix myself.

(Well, that plus the fifty-grand savings.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:35 PM   #3

The more 'bells & whistles' the more cracks/squeaks......

I much prefer simple......

But heck.....open the hood on my 14 yr old truck===not much I can do under there
At least I can still repair most everything on my 14 yr old 5vr
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #4

We're of the mindset "KISS". Keep it simple stupid is us. Anything we can fix ourselves the better and the less complex the system the better. Clearly there a lot of folks that love all the tech nowadays and less of us old dinosaurs hence why they keep building in more and complications for the likes of us. Whilst we'd like a newer RV, it's all the system complications that have held us back, and we are sticking with our 2003 until she bites the dust for now.

Happy Stress Free Travels to all.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Huummm. I vividly remember growing up as a kid in the 50s and 60s being told that with growth of space age technology, future humans will have more leisure time with smart robots doing all the work. Then later, when the computer age hit, I remember it being said they too will make our jobs easier.

Lies... all lies.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #6

I'm kind of two minds on the electronics. I remember having a conversation with a guy when I was on my way home with my brand new 2007 Harley-Davidson. He didn't like the drive belt instead of a chain and he didn't like the electronic fuel injection. I can say that I've never had to tighten or replace a chain or adjust a carburetor. Now with 66,000 miles on the clock I wouldn't trade it for a chain and a carb on a bet. All that said, I am a little concerned about the high tech lighting in my rig.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #7

Around Thanksgiving, we sold our 2019 coach that I purchased brand new.

Next week I am supposed to pick up my used 1998 Prevost XL.
12.7 L Detroit Diesel (pre-def), side radiator, tag axel, with IFS.
Sold new for about $800k

I cannot put in words how happy and excited we are with this decision.

In the past we have owned gas, diesel, new and used... All Class A's

We were not about to buy another new coach with all we read on here with the DEF problems, labor and parts shortages, and general disappointments people are posting about getting new units that need to go right back to the factory for repairs.

This will be our 5th RV and the oldest we have owned. BUT..... It will be getting an interior updating with around a $60k budget and an additional $30k for whatever it needs with the engine and chassis. Whatever is left over will go back in the bank for a rainy day.

I guess we will have to see if I made the right choice...?
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #8

I don't miss having the Spyder system that I had in my prior motorhome. My 2017 has the old style and it works, no muss no fuss.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #9

YEA, KISS Theory!!!!!!

My mantra in sail boats and motorhomes.

Actually in most of life.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #10

Every time I see or hear of some new RV feature or the app that runs it I imagine that cartoon movie wall-e. In the movie, humans floated on chaise lounges and did every thing via a computer interface. It seems we are getting there quicker than could be imagined. Everyone wants an app to control their jacks or slide outs. How's the electricity from the pedestal, check the EMS's app. How are the steaks on the grill, check the app. It is infuriating to me that we have allowed our children to become so dependent on technology.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #11

Give something I can work on

Performed my first auto repair at 14. Self taught. My friends chevy 3speed on the column's clutch was slipping. My dad had an old Chilton's on the workbench. Read a few paragraphs and went at it. Think it called for a wrench and a feeler gauge. Been a long time. Been during all my own work for the most part ever since. That was back in 74. Bought are coarch a year ago October. First thing to change were rotors and pads. All this new techno stuff is great. But the mechanicals are still mine.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I'm kind of two minds on the electronics. I remember having a conversation with a guy when I was on my way home with my brand new 2007 Harley-Davidson. He didn't like the drive belt instead of a chain and he didn't like the electronic fuel injection. I can say that I've never had to tighten or replace a chain or adjust a carburetor. Now with 66,000 miles on the clock I wouldn't trade it for a chain and a carb on a bet. All that said, I am a little concerned about the high tech lighting in my rig.

On my old Shovelhead had the points fuse together , pulled the points and with the striker pad on an old book of matches cleaned 'em up and back on the road . My buddies Twin Cam had his ECM fry and had to be towed .

Sold my old Shovelhead and bought an Evo Electra Glide with all the bells and whistles . Had a rock get in the drive belt and split it half way through . Have you ever changed a belt ? The Outer and inner primary covers and clutch , alternator and primary chain have to be removed in order to access the pulley . When the drive chain on my Shovel broke , I fed the chain around the counter sprocket and back on the road .

In an effort to keep things simple , sold the Electra Glide and am now the proud owner of another old Shovelhead .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You add enough bells and whistles, and you will naturally drive the reliability DOWN. Any time there are things controlled through a common touchpad or blue tooth, there should be a manual override.

I am a firm believer in the KISS principle.
Keep It Simple Stupid.

A couple of years back we witnessed a fellow with a big expensive motorhome delay his leaving due to the demise of his master control touch pad and brain. It took two weeks to get another touch pad and brain installed. He could not operate slides or jacks without this wonderful control system. The manual overrides were not easily worked.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
Every time I see or hear of some new RV feature or the app that runs it I imagine that cartoon movie wall-e. In the movie, humans floated on chaise lounges and did every thing via a computer interface. It seems we are getting there quicker than could be imagined. Everyone wants an app to control their jacks or slide outs. How's the electricity from the pedestal, check the EMS's app. How are the steaks on the grill, check the app. It is infuriating to me that we have allowed our children to become so dependent on technology.
I think the same way! It's scary knowing there will be complete chaos when/if too many of our electronic helpers go down. Heck, we're already seeing it these days, computer down at a store and the "cashier" not having a clue of what to do.

I admit, I don't want to have to ever go back to a tent. However, I do like having my old motorhome with its few electronics, less things to go wrong, and easier to repair when something does screw up. I don't mind at all having to get up off my duff to adjust the thermostat or manually pull out the awning.