Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
There are no wire nuts in the photos! They are all screw terminals.
On mine, the screw terminals had pig tails. Those were connected via wire nuts. Different manufacturing build practice, and a bad one at that.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check with Winnebago - I believe there was a recent Aspect/Cambria recall on loose connections in the transfer switch. If yours is on the list, should be replaced by Winn. After you get it rectified, be sure to tighten the connections annually to insure they are tight. Loose transfer switch connections are a problem on many coaches. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #17

ATS caught fire and fried

Bobmac,

I did check with WGO. They said that there was no recall on the 2018s as of May '18. They did say that there was a recall for an earlier model because of the poor connections; i.e., not torqued to specs. In response to this problem WGO changed ATS manufacturers for their new models. They were disturbed about our fire. The fried ATS was sent to W's engineers for analysis.

After the new ATS was installed I talked with the installation technician. He said that the former problem was that the connections were not to spec, just like W said. He torqued the new connections to 25 in/lbs as per WGO's recommendation.

I looked up the problem and recommendations for RV ATS connections. A 'white paper' stated, because of the heat exposure, that the connections should be checked annually; just like you said. I am still going to worry.

Thanks again,

machlin
machlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by machlin View Post
Bobmac,

I did check with WGO. They said that there was no recall on the 2018s as of May '18. They did say that there was a recall for an earlier model because of the poor connections; i.e., not torqued to specs. In response to this problem WGO changed ATS manufacturers for their new models. They were disturbed about our fire. The fried ATS was sent to W's engineers for analysis.

After the new ATS was installed I talked with the installation technician. He said that the former problem was that the connections were not to spec, just like W said. He torqued the new connections to 25 in/lbs as per WGO's recommendation.

I looked up the problem and recommendations for RV ATS connections. A 'white paper' stated, because of the heat exposure, that the connections should be checked annually; just like you said. I am still going to worry.

Thanks again,

machlin
Torque to 25 inch punds?? Really? That sounds like the problem right there.

I don't care who put that out, for me, 25inch pounds is not enough, and will surely vibrate loose
Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #19

We have a 2016 Winnebago Aspect 30 J. Received a recall for the ATS right after we bought it. Wasn't torqued correctly and could cause a fire. Ours was replaced at no charge.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #20

CJ7365,

25 in/pounds is what the dealership was stating. And, that is what the installation tech was saying independently. They said that they called the manufacturer and were given that torque setting.

I have asked WGO directly for their response. I'm going to find out. I have issued three email to WGO describing and documenting my concerns since this started this past Tuesday, May 22, 2018. In these email I documented 25 in/pounds and they have not disputed it yet; but there's still time!

There was a recall for the 2015, 2016, and 2017 Aspects (and others) for this very problem. It does not state the torque setting. You would think that by 2018 this issue would go away. You would also think that the dealerships would check this in advance of a sale since this item has been around for 4+ years.
WINNEBAGO ASPECT RECALLS - Auto Recalls for Consumers

Does anyone know the specific setting recommended in these recalls?

machlin
Old 05-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #21

We walked in Forest City today at 12:30 without an appointment. By 2:30 they had replaced our ATS (Surgeguard 41300) with an identical unit at no charge.
We were amazed at the fast courteous service. As soon as I identified our problem, things quickly fell into place for a quick resolution. We appreciate everyone's input here. We may have WB or the dealer check the unit periodically, but we don't feel qualified to open the unit and do any tightening etc. But we have an awareness now of the issue and need to have the ATS periodically checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Machlin
Forget to mention that you should also check the connections in the AC panel(s) and tighten annually if necessary. It is a great way to minimize and hopefully eliminate an electrical fire or other issues. You can now enjoy the coach without worrying about ATS issues. Safe travels,
Old 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #23

bobmac,

Grand advice. Fortunately I have a ladder for access without scratching the RV.

machlin
Old 05-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #24

ATS caught fire and fried update:

TRC sent me a diagram of the installation with the recommended torque maximums. I've attached the manufacturer's layout. Note the 6 connections with 25 in/lbs and the 1 connection which requires 35 in/lbs.

I don't plan to install this device. I asked the manufacturer what the torque settings needed to be when I checked the connections in the next 6 to 12 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	205142  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 41300 Layout.pdf (190.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Machlin
With something that bold sent with the ATS, makes it look like previous fire issues may have been caused by over torquing the screws during installation resulting in stripped threads and the loss of a secure connection ultimately leading to overheating and a fire. You would wonder why the electrical inspection approval process - such as UL for that product - didn't pick up on that possibility or recall all units in service after the fires. In an RV, any sloppily built electrical component has the potential to kill if it fails.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #26

ATS caught fire and fried update from WGO

Bobmac,

You're probably right, do not over tighten. Extra does the customer no good. I did hear from Winnebago today. Their engineers said tighten to 30 in/lbs. They also sent an image targeting which connections to check at least once per year.

The response from WGO also referenced the previous recall recommendations, "I forwarded the information about the Automatic Transfer Switch over to our Quality Department for review. The ATS torque is 30 in/pounds per the info below from our recall instructions".

I'm still going to worry.

machlin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	205237  
Old 06-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found my ATS, but cannot get to it to check. Looks like one would have to disassemble the bathroom sink cabinet. Oiiy!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #28

Had the same 41300 on our 2011 KZ 5er. Went up in smoke after about 3 months and was replaced at the factory as warranty. About 6 months later, same thing. At that point the factory paid to have the ats removed and bypassed ( my suggestion as we did not have a genny) instead of replacing it again. I was tired of being left stranded without power in rv parks.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire