Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Banks Power Pack

We have a 2000 Jayco Class C (Ford 350 V 10) and lack power to enter freeway or climb hills. Anyone ever install a Banks Power Pack? Did it help? Any less expensive ideas to improve pick up?
barbbezub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are going to get lots of opinions on this subject and referrals to previous threads. My personal experience - full Banks on a 2001 Gulf Stream Class C - very little noticeable improvement in performance and no help with mpg. I would never do it again - just not worth the $$$$$.

Have heard good reviews of Five Start Tuning, which is a lot less money.

Our rigs are never going to blaze onto the freeway, or over steep hills. Just too much weight and not enough torque.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JMHO, leave it as it was designed, it will get you there maybe not as fast as other's, but safely. We all experience the same thing pulling all that weight for comfort to us. Far better to keep your $$$ for other enjoyment. Good luck and travel safe.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbezub View Post
We have a 2000 Jayco Class C (Ford 350 V 10) and lack power to enter freeway or climb hills. Anyone ever install a Banks Power Pack? Did it help? Any less expensive ideas to improve pick up?
Like you, I felt like my 31' Winnebago Class C just couldn't get out of its own way. I was tempted to "invest" in a Banks System. My Brother-in-Law did have one installed, but honestly, while there was some noticeable increase in power, it certainly didn't justify the cost. I must admit though, his rigs exhaust note does sound good.

After following him up and over the Cajon Pass in SoCal... and he being able to gain about a 1/4 mile on me, it finally it dawned on me... this thing is 31' of rolling house, nothing's gonna make it a hot rod!

After this revelation, I quit worrying about climbing hills slowly, it just gave me more opportunities to enjoy the scenery.

As far as merging onto the freeways, I try to time my merge and have found, most drivers are actually pretty courteous. Of course, most drivers also instinctively understand the "Universal Lug Nut Rule"... he with the most lug nuts, almost invariably wins. (lol)
unca waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put the Banks exhaust on my 1999 Minnie Winnie along with the Banks Transcommand. It did not make much difference on the off the line, but it did help the mid range performance and hill climbing a bit. Fuel economy came up slightly since it was not dropping out of overdrive at the mere hint of a hill.

It was a bit better to drive but not worth the cost unless you plan to keep the RV long term. A 13 year old RV is probably not worth the money for the Banks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Banks

Thanks for your reply. From all of the replies it doesn't sound like we will install the Banks. Problem is, because we don't feel it will climb hills, much less mountains, we drove our SUV and hotel stayed on a recent trip East. We would also love to go west, but are afraid we will find ourselves sliding backwards down the mountians. Hate to just use it for weekend trips with grandkids. Hope we can find a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unca waldo View Post
Like you, I felt like my 31' Winnebago Class C just couldn't get out of its own way. I was tempted to "invest" in a Banks System. My Brother-in-Law did have one installed, but honestly, while there was some noticeable increase in power, it certainly didn't justify the cost. I must admit though, his rigs exhaust note does sound good.

After following him up and over the Cajon Pass in SoCal... and he being able to gain about a 1/4 mile on me, it finally it dawned on me... this thing is 31' of rolling house, nothing's gonna make it a hot rod!

After this revelation, I quit worrying about climbing hills slowly, it just gave me more opportunities to enjoy the scenery.

As far as merging onto the freeways, I try to time my merge and have found, most drivers are actually pretty courteous. Of course, most drivers also instinctively understand the "Universal Lug Nut Rule"... he with the most lug nuts, almost invariably wins. (lol)
Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to have a trusted mechanic take a look at your rig. There could be something wrong that can be fixed. Performance should not be so bad that you are afraid to tackle hills. We have not yet traveled in the west, but we have been over about every mountain in the east. Yes, the V-10 will slow down, but it likes to run at high revs, so just let it shift down and it will take you over most things you encounter.
Your speed may be down there with the trucks when you get to the top, but you will make it if that stock engine is performing correctly.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I'm with demoon...have someone give it the once over. Check stuff like air cleaner, fuel filter, etc. I assume the tranny is downshifting under load like it should...?

We have a 2000 Jayco E450 with the V10 and it's a 32 footer. Certainly isn't a hot rod, but she does okay. Some grades, I can keep up 50-60 mph if I keep my foot somewhat in it. Occasionally I'll find one where 45 is about all I want to do. Remember that the V10 likes to rev more than ye old V8's, so it's gonna be noisier when you're pulling a hill.

I don't particularly like to flog my vehicles, so I rarely am completely floored. I just find a speed that feels like a sweet spot and let her work. Driving the MH has been a good lesson for me - I hang out in the right lane and get there in my own sweet time.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

thanks everyone for all of your help. I was mistaken about it being a 350 - it's a . 450. Sounds just like Steverino's. So when it downshifts, should I keep my foot in the same place on the accelerator or should I let up? Getting a good tune up is a good idea -
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
It depends on how fast you want to be going and how much it picks up speed after the downshift. I haven't thought about it that way before - I guess I let the tranny do whatever it needs to and I drive as fast as feels comfortable for my passengers and the rig itself. I rarely keep it floored for long - only if really necessary. Hope that helps somewhat...

Tags
power