Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Banks Powerpack System, any miles per hour increase?

For those of you who have installed a Banks Powerpack System with OttoMind.

How much speed do you increase when climbing in the mountains?

The salesman at the Denver Camping World said all you could expect is a 5 mph increase, all conditions being equal, after the install. For example: If you were getting 45 mph before the Banks, wide open throttle shifted out of overdrive, say in 3rd gear, you would get 50mph after Banks install.

How accurate is his assessment?
TroutScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the kit installed in Aug. I haven't tested as you described, however I do notice a big difference when pulling hills with my toad. The range from 45mph to 65mph is lots better. I'm still checking some things like mileage, etc. I had a little computer problem and had to wait to install the ottominder program, so , a little behind on it all.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

I had the Denver (Westminister) CW install the full Banks system on my RV about 5 years ago. I picked about 8 mph (from 29 to 37) going over Eisenhour. It seems to have a more noticable help on the smaller hills, and it runs cooler. Didn't notice any improvement in mileage though. The on-sale installed price back then was about $2,300 and I don't know if I'd do it again. Guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are, and if you need it to run cooler, especially on the long climbs. JMHO.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

I can answer my own question now. I installed a Banks PowerPack with Ottomind and Transcommand module. I climbed the same hills with the same load and same wind. The steepest grade was the Georgetown,CO. Before the Banks stuff the best speed I could make was 45mpg. After the Banks it was 57 mph in drive with the overdrive switched off. If I dropped from drive to the next lowest gear, which is 2nd, I could accelerate more, but 57 was fast enough for me without a lot of high rpms. Later I tested the miles per gallon. On level terrain, at 7,000' elevation, no winds, the best average I could get was 10.1 mpg, with the Banks system I got 10.7. average speed 58 mph.

The Trascommand adjusts the shifting. I notice that the time lapse from one gear to another is quicker and smoother. Also there is less hunting for the correct gear (constant changing of gears as your speed changes as you climb various grades). I can climb longer in a high gear before it shifts into a lower gear.

I can stay at the posted speed limits on the two lane mountain roads now. Before the Banks I would cause a slow down because I couldn't maintain posted speeds. It is much more relaxing to drive now knowing that I'm going the speed limit on those roads where it's impossible for someone else to pass because of hills and curves. On interstate roads I keep it at 60 mph as it's easy for other to pass.

I have no regrets having installed the Banks.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What size and model of RV do you have? I have a 36 ft. Dolphin (20000 lbs. loaded), and don't get that high of mileage.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

I have a 2004 Jayco Escalade, 28.5'. 14,000 lbs. empty. My test was done with all tanks empty and no cargo. 50 gallons of gas on board.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our 2nd MH with the Banks system on it. The first was a 2004 Ford F53 30ft. We pull and enclosed trailer which weighs in at 9300 lbs. The power increase was fantastic, gas mileage only improved about .5 mpg. Our current unit is a 2006 Ford F53 34ft. This is the 3 valve engine, while it does pull better than the stock it did not change the mpg that we can see. That said I am still glad to have it. It really helps the power range and helps run cooler and less shifting.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What engine do you have?

I had talked to a dealer at a show who told me the GM 8.1 was pretty much at maximum output with the way it was designed and adding a Banks system wouldn't be worth the money as far as power goes.
However I've had both exhaust headers replaced and will probably go with the Banks headers or Thorleys.

Has anybody done the 8.1 engine and if so, how did it affect your power?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

I have the Ford V-10 engine.

I noticed a big difference in power. Only 0.6 increase in gas milage, but I was more interested in the power increase.

It's my understanding that the increase in air flow and exhaust flow will help any engine.