Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
BFL

Forest River Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Battery switch

I’m reluctant to write this because I know that most if not all will think I’m an idiot but here goes...( my wife knows I am at least she tells me I am...)
On a recent trip to the mountains, we arrived set up camp and drove into town to pickup a few things. Our friends who were camped next to us called us to tell us an alarm was going off in our RV. We rushed back and found our batteries which are located under the entry steps in our 2019 Coachmen Leprechaun were boiling and off gassing!
The batteries were shot and I replaced them. The local experts all had different theories as to why this happened.
A. I had the battery cut off switch in the on position while hooked to shore power and this caused the problem.
B. I drove the unit up there (about four hours) with the switch in the on position and this caused it.
C. I had stored the RV for a month or so in my RV
garage hooked up to shore power and the switch on and this caused the problem.
When should I have the switch on and when should I have it off?
Thanks!
BFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

You did nothing wrong, leaving the switch on.

Its a storage switch for when there is no power to plug in to.

If you have battery caps on the batteries and didn't check the water level, then that's on you. You need to take a look every month or so and add distilled water to them if needed.

When they get low, they get hot and boil and set off alarms.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Age of battery? While issue (can be) bad converter staying in high charge voltage mode, Boiling usually more a reflection of BAD CELL/FAILING BATTERY, but always BEST PRACTICE to VERIFY Charging VOLTAGE after installing new battery/ies and again after 1-to-2-hours (expect 13.2vdc). Typically, aged battery plate PIECE falls off into bottom of cell shorting cell, and causing the BOILING (and low battery voltage)
Old 01-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could also be a bad 12 volt converter / charger that is over charging the batteries.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
BFL

Forest River Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You did nothing wrong, leaving the switch on.

Its a storage switch for when there is no power to plug in to.

If you have battery caps on the batteries and didn't check the water level, then that's on you. You need to take a look every month or so and add distilled water to them if needed.

When they get low, they get hot and boil and set off alarms.
Thanks! I'll put checking the batteries on a monthly to do list for the RV.
Ben
Old 01-24-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, check to ensure that your charger is properly configured for FLOODED Cell lead acid batteries. Any other setting could potentially cause problems as all of the different types used different voltages and charging profiles.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Also, check to ensure that your charger is properly configured for FLOODED Cell lead acid batteries. Any other setting could potentially cause problems as all of the different types used different voltages and charging profiles.
Do you know if they have an configurable converter/charger ?

Most factory installed class C chargers are one size fits all, and will work fine that way.

Unless you know that he has configurable settings, your sending the OP on a wild goose chase, looking for something that's not there.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #8
BFL

Forest River Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
No, I don’t know. This one was installed on the RV when we bought it new and I’ve never looked into it. I will now.
So the best thing to do is leave the switch on until I store the coach then switch it to off to keep the batteries from draining. Correct.

Tags
battery, switch