Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #15

So true... they would just move their ring to suburban areas.. and even steal cats off lawn mower and weed eaters ..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #16

With the exotic metals in Lithium batteries in short supply---------
Old 12-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #17

These work fairly well at preventing theft from my coach, when they are not busy doing their primary job, they keep the grass cut down in the field where the shed I store my coach in is located. https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...4&d=1615681146
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Illinois does not smog-check RVs.
Illinois does where I live in zip code 60118. I just took my motorhome in a few weeks ago, unable to renew my plates until I got it done.

Because of the o2 sensors, I think it unwise to use a bypass pipe. It could throw other systems off which who knows the ramifications of that. It might be subtle unnoticed changes that show up years later as major issues.

The bolt-on cat shield makes the most sense to me. I don't think the thief is going to carry wrenches. He'll move on before spending the time to remove it.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Illinois does where I live in zip code 60118. I just took my motorhome in a few weeks ago, unable to renew my plates until I got it done.

Because of the o2 sensors, I think it unwise to use a bypass pipe. It could throw other systems off which who knows the ramifications of that. It might be subtle unnoticed changes that show up years later as major issues.

The bolt-on cat shield makes the most sense to me. I don't think the thief is going to carry wrenches. He'll move on before spending the time to remove it.
That's interesting. I live in 60532 (Dupage County) and I have never received a notice for smog check. It's a 2005 Class C with the standard 6.8L V10. Maybe the age of ours has something to do with it. I am about to renew my plate sticker for 2022.
I emailed our local police chief last summer and asked him about CC theft in our area. There have been some incidents but all appear to be "low-hanging fruit" opportunity type thefts, meaning little to no risk or effort by the perpetrator, secluded driveways, car dealer lots, etc. I suppose it's only a matter of time though.
What year is your rig?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just place a few on or around the CC area:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 9.19.25 PM.png
Views:	62
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	351090

It worked in a lab where I worked years ago. It totally stopped a thief problem.
Except the fire inspector doing an annual inspection did not seem amused. I had a little explaining to do. There was nothing radioactive about the stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #21
NXR

Best Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention Device

When the motorhome is parked in our suburban driveway I move one of the Blink cameras I keep inside to monitor the interior for the dogs. I just put it underneath and aimed at the catalytic converter.

If someone slides underneath at night the first thing they'll see is that bright blue "motion detected" light. If I'm really lucky I'll even get a sample of their voice saying "What the ****?"

My phone will go off, I'll grab my keys off the dresser, and for the first time ever, hit the Panic button intentionally on the car in the driveway.

It actually went off tonight for the first time about 9:30 PM. My wife was out the front door with the large dog in seconds.

The video caught the rear end of a cat walking towards the street. Unfortunately I can't attach the video.

Ray

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	351091
Old 12-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #22

Quote:
That's interesting. I live in 60532 (Dupage County) and I have never received a notice for smog check. It's a 2005 Class C with the standard 6.8L V10. Maybe the age of ours has something to do with it. I am about to renew my plate sticker for 2022.
I emailed our local police chief last summer and asked him about CC theft in our area. There have been some incidents but all appear to be "low-hanging fruit" opportunity type thefts, meaning little to no risk or effort by the perpetrator, secluded driveways, car dealer lots, etc. I suppose it's only a matter of time though.
What year is your rig?
We are nestled between West Dundee, Sleepy Hollow, and Elgin, in an unincorporated area of Kane County. We have a Dundee address.

Our rig is built on a 2007 E350-V10 chassis.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
,,,If it gets stolen I'm going to straight pipe it back to the muffler. Illinois does not smog-check RVs. ,,,
You might not get past the annual safety inspection (if your state requires) with a bypass pipe as the inspection check list might include a visual inspection of pollution control equipment being present and a ODB II code check for normal operation confirmation.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking about trying this:

https://www.catstrap.net/

Looks like this might be a solution, at least the strap part. But what happens when/if you need to replace the CC? Since it bonds to the exhaust system it looks like it would be almost impossible to replace a pipe or CC.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #25

Our cities solution was to decriminalize theft. Now, instead of crawling around under a motorhome, thieves just walk into Lowes and grab a lawnmower and push it out the door… police won’t even be called.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Our cities solution was to decriminalize theft. Now, instead of crawling around under a motorhome, thieves just walk into Lowes and grab a lawnmower and push it out the door… police won’t even be called.
You got that right. Of course letting most of Washingtons convicted felons out of prison due to covid doesn't help things. Nor does Facebook Marketplace...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20211107-104013.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	351120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210801-165315.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	351121  

Name:	Screenshot_20210307-091423.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	351122  
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
One of our family members is a Chicago police officer who has worked the beat nightly for the past 19 years. Over Thanksgiving dinner that person said that they are seeing groups of thieves from a few to hundreds, breaking into small businesses to big box stores in the early morning hours (after closing) and cleaning out those stores. The police are directed to display their presence, but allow an escape route for the thieves......with "DO NOT PURSUE" orders. Chicago police are no longer authorized to pursue on-foot or with a squad car. Just make their presence known and let the chaos happen. They never seen such wide-spread ludicrous behavior and ludicrous orders from their commander in-chief. Thieves in the city have been empowered to do as they please without resistance or consequences.

I grew up on the northwest side of Chicago. My oldest brother still lives in the house we grew up in. I would never live in or near Chicago. We currently live 20 miles west of O'Hare airport and wonder if it is far enough. Those hoodlums are getting bold and leaving the city for greater fortunes, but the suburban police follow proper protocol so it is not wide spread.

Another brother of mine lives in a suburb adjacent to Chicago. Last year he and his wife bought hand guns and are now properly trained to use them for protection at home. They live 2 blocks from a Target shopping center, also in their suburb. Installed in the Target parking lot is a crows nest that is loaded with cameras but can also be manned when needed. It is a war zone in and closely around Chicago.

I hold my composure to avoid typing harsh politically oriented remarks that would shut down this thread or ban my forum membership here. But I will state this. My wife and I are devote "conservative" Christians. It doesn't take any imagination to figure out what I hold back from typing.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #28
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
How about rapping it and the tail pipe with razor wire.

Tags
cat, converter, vent