Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

Best Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention Device

Despite the fact that we store our new, 2022 Class C Tiffin Diesel Wayfarer in what appears to be a very safe and secure storage facility, with cameras, security codes etc ...... 3 catalytic conversion thefts have occurred over the last month.

Some renters have moved on to other storage facilities. Others are researching what the best possible anti-theft device might be.
It seems that the CatClamp and the CatStrap are the most well known but it is really hard to buy such a device on the web AND to find someone to install the damn thing.

Would be very interested in hearing what you all have done, where you bought the device and who installed it for you. Oddly enough, neither Tiffin or Mercedes seem to have much information on this device and say they do not install them !
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
D20

The best way to prevent theft is to use bolted exhaust pipe clamps and remove the catalytic converter and take it home with you while the unit is in storage. But then you are underneath the RV every time you are coming and going. Kinda of a pain.

I installed a cat clamp myself. It is not difficult. Unfortunately, it really wouldn't be difficult for a thief to get past it. It is mostly just a visual deterrent that will hopefully persuade the thief to go elsewhere so they don't have to spend an extra 2 or 3 minutes getting it out of the way of the prize.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gated storage facilities are nothing more than the parts department for the unscrupulous. Have not and never will use them. Will also never buy into a community that has rules banning my personal property that I prefer to closely protect.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #4

I saw an idea that I thought was great for dirt storage lots, make a high spot, big hump, speed bump type of thing under the area where the cat is so there is no room to get underneath.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #5

Just bypass.. In my opinion.. keep theft report for inspection.. if cats are not re installed then they can't steal them any more..
You would have to do the work yourself.. illegal for shops to do it.. but owner can..
Otherwise.. you could grab some heavy cables at hardware store and just clamp it on..
There just is not much you can do..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #6

can you dump the air from the air bags (if equipped) and put the coach almost on the ground? while in storage?
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These theft deterrent ideas lead me to believe that the would be thief will extract some retribution by way of keying your exterior or smashing lights or some other thing. Ice-picking your tires sound like fun?
Old 12-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

Good.. New paint.. and new tires.. so keep it coming... all paid for by insurance..
Old 12-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #9

Wink "What me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman, Mad Magazine...

Well folks there is only so much you can do and yet a determined {skilled, well equipped thief} will prevail...sigh.

I never liked storing my RV's at a commercial storage yard as security was more of an urban legend than reality. Happily when we moved up to the mountains last year at the top of my list of must haves was to be able to store all of our stuff on the property.

While our lot is just over half an acre we managed to git er done.We have two driveways, 40 and 55 yards each and our entire property is nicely fenced {chain link }with twin locking gates. i have 6 security cameras, 5 blink and the smart doorbell, that cover virtually all of our property. Our Class C sits 30+ yards from the street and the coach is always locked and alarmed. Sadly our neighbors recently sold and moved taking their 100# 4 year old German Shepherd with them, Darbie was an awesome watch doggie.

Yep, a thief might come over the fence but he will be on camera for all to see as they transmit directly to the cloud and smashing them would only produce a nice close up. They also have infrared for night work and they all have microphones and speakers with which I can speak to the intruders in real time as they all provide instant notification to our i phones whenever motion is detected.

I sleep well as do most of the residents of our little mountain town as most are well if not heavily armed with burglaries, break ins and or home invasions almost unheard of. If all of that fails I am fully insured. Works for me.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, State Farm will not give me a discount for having security similar to yours. An FYI to any who'd like to try.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a can of VHT Red Header (2000º) paint. I am going to engrave the VIN onto the CC and spray the whole thing with VHT. It may not stop a determined thief but hopefully it will cause a kid with a battery sawzall to move on to something less risky.
In our storage lot I am parked along a curb. I pull in as close as I can to the curb so it is impossible to get under the MH from that side. The accessible side is on the main aisle so it gets a lot of traffic. Hopefully, that helps as a deterrent also.
If it gets stolen I'm going to straight pipe it back to the muffler. Illinois does not smog-check RVs.

Town ordinance will not let me park an RV longer than 25' in my drive, and it's fairly sloped anyway.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #12

If you have levelers, pick up a water trough from tractor supply.

Lift the RV, slide the trough under the cat and let the RV down. You may need to notch it to fit.

Now those who steel stuff, will move on to another, easier target.

When you use the RV, leave it in your storage spot.

PS: catalytic converters are covered under insurance.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #13

We have to let our great leaders know this is a national problem and it's costing hundreds of billions... it makes the victim criminals... because in areas of inspection you can't get plates... HOW IS THIS FAIR.. .?

There needs to be a law.. if your cats get stolen... you are exempt from the visual part of inspection forever... yes, you have to pass the sniffer with in limits... but you don't need to have cats to get plates.. as long as you have theft report..

Most well cared for modern EFI. Engs run so clean that cats are not necessary..
Cats only necessary if eng gets old and starts burning oil..
So law needs changed..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
We have to let our great leaders know this is a national problem and it's costing hundreds of billions... it makes the victim criminals... because in areas of inspection you can't get plates... HOW IS THIS FAIR.. .?

There needs to be a law.. if your cats get stolen... you are exempt from the visual part of inspection forever... yes, you have to pass the sniffer with in limits... but you don't need to have cats to get plates.. as long as you have theft report..

Most well cared for modern EFI. Engs run so clean that cats are not necessary..
Cats only necessary if eng gets old and starts burning oil..
So law needs changed..
Good luck and keep us posted
No new laws, just a victims compensation fund. We wouldn't want to cut the supply of cats for the crooks to steal .
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter, vent