Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

Not all german cars are reliable, the Volkswagen is one of them. After having 2 of them never again.
shoalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
I think Sprinters (I've owned one) are like most German cars. They are awesome and are capable of having a very long trouble free life. However, maintenance is CRITICAL. You need to adhere to the service schedules. I currently own two German cars and they are trouble free. Having said all that, you are right about harder to find proper repair facilities and parts are more expensive. My RV is based upon E450 Ford.

Not all german cars are reliable. I've had 2 Volkswagens and never again.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
If I am ever in the market for a class c, the first place I will look is Lazy Daze of Montclair, California. Built on E450 chassis, several lengths but with no slides. They have been building basically the same coaches for many years and I still see many of them on the road. I have always admired how the paint looks on their older coaches. To me, they speak of quality. And, No, I have never owned one (yet) and I don't work for them.
I don't know about the newer Lazy Daze but they use mostly wood in their construction.
If you don't make sure it is kept sealed then look out. I drove 250 miles to look at one and the owner didn't tell me it had SEVERE water damage (he excluded the picture). I think the owner might have thought that since Lazy Daze reputation preceded it that I'd overlook it. A big section of wall was ruined by water leak damage. I looked at one before that and it also had water damage in the cabover. Consequently, I gave up on looking for a used one.

But....the Lazy Daze Twin King is the best layout ever. It's too bad other class c manufacturers don't copy that design.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
I think Sprinters (I've owned one) are like most German cars. They are awesome and are capable of having a very long trouble free life. However, maintenance is CRITICAL. You need to adhere to the service schedules. I currently own two German cars and they are trouble free. Having said all that, you are right about harder to find proper repair facilities and parts are more expensive. My RV is based upon E450 Ford.
I've owned 2 Volkswagens, unreliable. Also, parts for German cars are exorbitantly expensive, then add the high labor cost if you have to go to a dealer. But, I'd say they are better than a Yugo!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #19

Spiffy, I hate to keep promoting the Bigfoot, but... Can't help myself. And, this may not apply to you if.... You camp "only" in campgrounds. Water capacity!!!!! Our 26 ft. has 63 gallons (more than most any class c) counting the water heater. If you do "any" boondocking" at all, water can be a precious commodity! They are also pretty well constructed!

They certainly are not perfect, as we will make some modifications...primarily chassis improvements!
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Honestly, I would prefer a Chevy chassis as I have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 Van that has 157,000 miles and it still drives like new and averages 15 mpg. .

well 15 mpg for a class C on chevy express
thats amazing
i have a chevy class C 2005 v8 6 liter hour four winds 5000
and have a avg of 7 mpg

How can you get 15 mpg i do not get it! ???
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalster View Post
Not all german cars are reliable. I've had 2 Volkswagens and never again.
That's a shame.

My wife has a 2005 VW CC 4 motion, the only issue she had was with the massage chair which VW fixed.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #22

HI Spiffy,

If you like your Chevy Van, and you are looking for smaller Class C- (B+) then checkout the Leisure Travel Van Libero, made from about 2007 to 2015. The coach portion of these units is the same high quality fit and finish and full fiberglass shell as the MB-based Serenity and Unity. Maybe not quite a one piece shell like the Coach House Platinum (or famous Chinook) but limited number of easily inspected seams and you get the bowtie on the grill with the bulletproof 6.0 litre V8 behind it.

Regards,
Gary
Delta, BC 2008 LTV Libero
bertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #23

I'm confused. Your question is what chassis is the most leak free. I don't think the chassis has much to do with leaks. I think the "house" or motorhome has everything to do with the leaks. If your greatest concerns is leaks, I suggest you concentrate on the RV rather that the chassis.
pattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #24

LAST ACTIVITY BY THE OP WAS MAY 7, 2017, so the op is not monitoring this thread, or board.

My only further comment if the OP happens to see this, and is still looking, is that if you are happy with the GM/Chevy chassis, get an RV on one, you will be much happier, and they are said to have more foot room to boot!

Charles
Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattaway View Post
I'm confused. Your question is what chassis is the most leak free. I don't think the chassis has much to do with leaks. I think the "house" or motorhome has everything to do with the leaks. If your greatest concerns is leaks, I suggest you concentrate on the RV rather that the chassis.
It looks like you did not read my initial post but rather read the title only before you commented. Please re-read the thread's first post that explains my question in detail.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertible View Post
HI Spiffy,

If you like your Chevy Van, and you are looking for smaller Class C- (B+) then checkout the Leisure Travel Van Libero, made from about 2007 to 2015. The coach portion of these units is the same high quality fit and finish and full fiberglass shell as the MB-based Serenity and Unity. Maybe not quite a one piece shell like the Coach House Platinum (or famous Chinook) but limited number of easily inspected seams and you get the bowtie on the grill with the bulletproof 6.0 litre V8 behind it.

Regards,
Gary
Delta, BC 2008 LTV Libero
Not a big fan of the Libero layout, would rather have a dedicated bed and dinette. However, cool to see LT make an RV on a Chevy chassis.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees View Post
well 15 mpg for a class C on chevy express
thats amazing
i have a chevy class C 2005 v8 6 liter hour four winds 5000
and have a avg of 7 mpg

How can you get 15 mpg i do not get it! ???
I built a custom camper van made from a standard cargo van. You have a class c carrying much more weight and height. Highway I avg 15 mpg, however, city only 12 mpg.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
First off, the OP should have titled this thread "Best Class C COACH - Leak Free" as his real questions have little to do with the chassis leaking, but rather the coach, and how to get that non-leaking coach on a GM chassis.

The OP should understand that the Ford E-350/450 chassis with the V10 is a super reliable machine that has few problems and nothing that cannot be easily resolved. Not sure what kind of RV'ing the OP is planning on doing, frequently traveling, or parking their "butt" in one place for long periods of time, but All of these vehicles are designed to be driven frequently and no vehicle takes well to sitting.

With regard to Sprinter oil changes, I do all of my own maintenance and cannot imagine paying someone to do something that I can easily do. Being on the road does present issues with owner maintenance, but the Sprinters, either the 5 cyl or the V6 are probably the easiest, cleanest oil changes anyone could ever ask for, especially if you install a Fumoto oil drain valve, and purchase the appropriate oil filter wrench/socket. I didn't spill a drop on the engine or ground, and if you wear some latex/nitrile gloves, you will not get any on your hands while swapping out the o-rings and filter element. The filter element is rather cheap for the 5 cylinder (about $6 to $8) and about the same for the V6. The fuel filter is another story and I won't get into it here.

With reference to the link in the quote above, which is about Winnebago View/Navion on the Sprinter chassis, If you notice, some of the complaints in the above link are duplicates submitted by the same person (apparently) as the location and date are the same.

To answer some of the complaints in the link above, the wheel simulators/wheel covers used on the Sprinters are a Winnebago supplied item and are a force fit into the wheel, nothing else retains them, and as such, it is common to have them separate from the wheel, especially after any maintenance where they were removed and (most likely) not properly seated on re-installation. My answer to this is to simply remove the wheel covers/simulators all together and "go naked". Some people chose the Alcoa aluminum wheels or a chrome steel wheel, or use stainless steel "ty-wrap" like straps to retain the simulators to the wheels.

The complaints on the turbo resonator were all old, and the resonator was a very common failure item. It can be eliminated by installing a resonator eliminator tube, which eliminates the problems and is quite easy to install. Many if not most 2006 and earlier chassis Sprinters (5 cyl models) have either already done this, or installed a Dorman replacement resonator which does not fail like the OEM 1st, 2ed, or 3rd generator resonators. OEM 4th gen resonators apparently also are not prone to failure.

The failure of the rear wheel speed sensor/ABS light causing the transmission to go into limp home mode is also well known and somewhat common. These sensors are actually covered under the 50K mile emission warranty. Transmission limp home mode is caused because the rear wheel sensors provide the output speed sensing for the transmission, as the tranny was built without a internal output speed sensor of its own. This is more of a problem in areas where chassis rust/salt is a problem.

One complainant brought up the issue of overheated light fixtures. The fixtures used are made by Progressive Dynamics and are properly UL listed and have steel reflectors above the lamps, and when used with the proper 1141 bulbs get warm but will not overheat. I have done what all sane RV users in these days and times have done, and installed LED lights in the fixtures, which do not have the heating or current draw issues.

One complaint had to do with a off brand non-DOT approved tire, nothing that could be related to the RV on which it was installed.

The total failure of the transmission on the 2006 and earlier chassis (5 cylinder) models is fairly well known and more common than failure of the transmissions of later model Sprinters. Not much to say here other than keeping them cool and operating them with as little load as possible goes a long ways toward making them last, along with frequent fluid changes.

There were two complaints from (apparently) the same person, same city, different dates, noting that they "had been complaining" about the "soft brakes" and that they were told it was normal, which it is in fact true, the brake pedal has a lot of travel and tends to feel spongy, a common Sprinter complaint for first time users, but not an issue, the brakes work fine.

Two other complaints were again from the same person, same date, same wording, about the very low OCCC. It is worth noting that the person may not even know what they were complaining about, they could not spell View, nor Itasca correctly.

Its basically a couple of lingering issues and the remainder are old issues that have been long ago resolved.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

If anyone is thinking about anything made by Mercedes they should watch this video lol: https://youtu.be/ZPJ64sTa7KI

Tags
chassis, class c, leak