Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #1

Best Class C RV Chassis (Leak free)

I've been researching RV's for a long time now. I'm prepping to be an eventual full timer.

I understand that most class c's are prone to water leaks except for premium RV's that have a molded full body fiberglass shell with no seams, such as offerings from Coach House, Born Free, etc.

(From what I've read, stay away from class c rvs with the front overhang with a window.)

However, Coachhouse and Born Free only make rvs with a Ford or Mercedes chassis, nether of which I'm a big fan of.

Question: How is the reliability/quality of the RV's with the Promaster and the new Ford Transit chassis? I researched Promaster and new Ford Transit vans and they both got many bad reviews, said there are problems with the transmission and other knick knack problems.

Honestly, I would prefer a Chevy chassis as I have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 Van that has 157,000 miles and it still drives like new and averages 15 mpg. However, chevy class c rvs are hard to find and the ones you do find do not have the one piece no seam fiberglass body that everybody says is almost leakproof.

Mercedes Sprinter chassis is usually good for 100k miles before transmission problems but if any problems arise you are paying a ton of money in repairs compared to chevy, ram promaster and Ford. Also, usually you can't just go to a quick oil change place for a Mercedes Sprinter oil change, Mercedes Sprinters require a special oil filter and Mercedes repair shops are few and far in between in many places. Sometimes you might have to travel 150+ miles for a service location, as where Ford/Chevy/Ram can usually be fixed close by.

Bottom line, I don't want a leak-prone class C RV and would prefer a chevy chassis or something better, any feedback would be appreciated.

PS. Reason I'm not a big fan of Ford is because I never had any good luck with any Ford I've owned. I guess I'm a Chevy man. BUT if the new Ford Transit chassis is good I might be open to trying a RV with this chassis.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #2

Best Class C RV Chassis (Leak free)

We have a jayco 31fs and have had 0 problems. Most manufacturers make one piece noses. If you perform regular inspections of your seals and caulk joints then you shouldn't have a problem. I currently drive a Ford transit van to work every day and this van is like driving a car, plenty of power, handles awesome.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

The preferred type of chassis referenced in the original post (Sprinter/Ford Transit) could possibly prove to offer 'marginal' OCCC for full time use.

The Coachmen Leprechaun Class C is available on the 4500 Chevy Chassis, and also has the seamless fiberglass cap.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
If you research enough, you will find that there are people who *love* their Sprinters and people who *hate* their Sprinters. There are good reviews of the Transit and bad reviews of the Transit. I've never owned a Ford, and any experience I have had driving one (leased/work vehicles) has been generally bad.

That being said...I am now a proud owner of a LTV Wonder, built on a Ford Transit chassis. I wanted the quality of LTV with the more-affordable-to-maintain Ford Transit. The Transit engine has been around for years, just not in the US. It seems to be very reliable. Being a diesel, it should last longer than I will want to keep the RV.

Every person has different priorities for their RV purchase. For me, the most important thing was the quality of the RV build. LTV wins, hands down.
Juno 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

I think Sprinters (I've owned one) are like most German cars. They are awesome and are capable of having a very long trouble free life. However, maintenance is CRITICAL. You need to adhere to the service schedules. I currently own two German cars and they are trouble free. Having said all that, you are right about harder to find proper repair facilities and parts are more expensive. My RV is based upon E450 Ford.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
If you research enough, you will find that there are people who *love* their Sprinters and people who *hate* their Sprinters. There are good reviews of the Transit and bad reviews of the Transit. I've never owned a Ford, and any experience I have had driving one (leased/work vehicles) has been generally bad.

That being said...I am now a proud owner of a LTV Wonder, built on a Ford Transit chassis. I wanted the quality of LTV with the more-affordable-to-maintain Ford Transit. The Transit engine has been around for years, just not in the US. It seems to be very reliable. Being a diesel, it should last longer than I will want to keep the RV.

Every person has different priorities for their RV purchase. For me, the most important thing was the quality of the RV build. LTV wins, hands down.
Congratulations on your purchase, WonderGirl. I'm sure many would consider the RV build quality of LTV Wonder to be above average. Hopefully, it will provide you with many years and miles of enjoyment.
That said....my concern is the OCCC.
I just watched a YouTube video of the 2017 LTV Wonder showing the OCCC of 998 lbs. Once two people are on board, it possibly leaves a rather skinny margin for everything else. Most of us tend to want to *take it all* with us, and the weight accumulates very quickly. Overloading can be dangerous.

Have you been to a scale after loading, and ready for travel?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, WonderGirl. I'm sure many would consider the RV build quality of LTV Wonder to be above average. Hopefully, it will provide you with many years and miles of enjoyment.
That said....my concern is the OCCC.
I just watched a YouTube video of the 2017 LTV Wonder showing the OCCC of 998 lbs. Once two people are on board, it possibly leaves a rather skinny margin for everything else. Most of us tend to want to *take it all* with us, and the weight accumulates very quickly. Overloading can be dangerous.

Yep...OCCC is lower than many others, but I'm not really a 'take it all' kind of person. 2 people (each weighing ~140 lbs.); full tank of water (30 gallons * 8.3 lbs./gallon) and I still have about 400 lbs. left. I'm still outfitting her so I haven't weighed her yet. That will be next. Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #8

After reading the reviews on the Ford Transit, make me want to steer clear of any RV with this chassis. Here is the link:
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit...ing=CONFIDENCE
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #9

After doing a little bit of research, it seems as though the best mercedes Sprinters were the 2006 and older chassis, before the dpf system was put in. Dpf system (Diesel particulate filter) was put in on the 2007+ models and then the Def fluid models were put in on the 2010+ models.

This guy (link below) owned fleets of Sprinters and says it wasn't until the dpf system was put in that problems started happening. 2006 and older sprinters are considered to have the million mile engines.
Reference: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

So maybe I shall try a 2006 Sprinter RV, not only saves money and the hassle of dealing with def fluid but will help avoid dealing with problems and get better mpg. It helps to get informed, reason why I started this thread!

Please chime in if you anybody has more info on this....
Old 04-22-2017, 03:41 AM   #10

Then I read these complaints about the 2006 Winnebago View (Sprinter) problems and it has me wanting to avoid the sprinter all together:
http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/winnebago/view/
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Went to the scales, carrying a 60% fresh tank (18 gallons); full tank of diesel; driver and 1 passenger; all my gear in the coach; empty grey and black tanks.

Here's the result: Front axle weighs in at 3,980. That's 150 lbs. less than the max weight allowed of 4,130. Rear axle weighs in at 5,680...1,892 lbs. less than the max of 7,572. Total weight of the vehicle was 9,660 lbs., leaving me 700 lbs. below the max gross weight allowable of 10,360 lbs.

I can't imagine what else I might add to the coach that would add a lot of weight (other than full grey and black tanks...) so I think my Wonder will do well for me for a long time.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

Reality is that if you are full timing and have much more than a change of clothes and a desire to cocoon in bad weather you will want something longer than 24 ft or so. If you do your only choice is a Ford E-350 or E-450.

The front windows were prone to gasket leaks. Once you avoid them I don't think there is a significant difference as long as you take care of the roof.

We tried the short unit no toad route. It sort of works so there are folks who tout it. That is "sort of" not "works with no problem". As soon as you want to park for a while or go places that are tight for roads or parking you will wish you had a towed that will not be easy to rent. Might as well start off with one and enough room to make a meal while working on a project and have room for a few toys. We found ~30 ft does that. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

If I am ever in the market for a class c, the first place I will look is Lazy Daze of Montclair, California. Built on E450 chassis, several lengths but with no slides. They have been building basically the same coaches for many years and I still see many of them on the road. I have always admired how the paint looks on their older coaches. To me, they speak of quality. And, No, I have never owned one (yet) and I don't work for them.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Then I read these complaints about the 2006 Winnebago View (Sprinter) problems and it has me wanting to avoid the sprinter all together:
Winnebago VIEW Problems, 2006 Winnebago VIEW Complaints - Page #1
First off, the OP should have titled this thread "Best Class C COACH - Leak Free" as his real questions have little to do with the chassis leaking, but rather the coach, and how to get that non-leaking coach on a GM chassis.

The OP should understand that the Ford E-350/450 chassis with the V10 is a super reliable machine that has few problems and nothing that cannot be easily resolved. Not sure what kind of RV'ing the OP is planning on doing, frequently traveling, or parking their "butt" in one place for long periods of time, but All of these vehicles are designed to be driven frequently and no vehicle takes well to sitting.

With regard to Sprinter oil changes, I do all of my own maintenance and cannot imagine paying someone to do something that I can easily do. Being on the road does present issues with owner maintenance, but the Sprinters, either the 5 cyl or the V6 are probably the easiest, cleanest oil changes anyone could ever ask for, especially if you install a Fumoto oil drain valve, and purchase the appropriate oil filter wrench/socket. I didn't spill a drop on the engine or ground, and if you wear some latex/nitrile gloves, you will not get any on your hands while swapping out the o-rings and filter element. The filter element is rather cheap for the 5 cylinder (about $6 to $8) and about the same for the V6. The fuel filter is another story and I won't get into it here.

With reference to the link in the quote above, which is about Winnebago View/Navion on the Sprinter chassis, If you notice, some of the complaints in the above link are duplicates submitted by the same person (apparently) as the location and date are the same.

To answer some of the complaints in the link above, the wheel simulators/wheel covers used on the Sprinters are a Winnebago supplied item and are a force fit into the wheel, nothing else retains them, and as such, it is common to have them separate from the wheel, especially after any maintenance where they were removed and (most likely) not properly seated on re-installation. My answer to this is to simply remove the wheel covers/simulators all together and "go naked". Some people chose the Alcoa aluminum wheels or a chrome steel wheel, or use stainless steel "ty-wrap" like straps to retain the simulators to the wheels.

The complaints on the turbo resonator were all old, and the resonator was a very common failure item. It can be eliminated by installing a resonator eliminator tube, which eliminates the problems and is quite easy to install. Many if not most 2006 and earlier chassis Sprinters (5 cyl models) have either already done this, or installed a Dorman replacement resonator which does not fail like the OEM 1st, 2ed, or 3rd generator resonators. OEM 4th gen resonators apparently also are not prone to failure.

The failure of the rear wheel speed sensor/ABS light causing the transmission to go into limp home mode is also well known and somewhat common. These sensors are actually covered under the 50K mile emission warranty. Transmission limp home mode is caused because the rear wheel sensors provide the output speed sensing for the transmission, as the tranny was built without a internal output speed sensor of its own. This is more of a problem in areas where chassis rust/salt is a problem.

One complainant brought up the issue of overheated light fixtures. The fixtures used are made by Progressive Dynamics and are properly UL listed and have steel reflectors above the lamps, and when used with the proper 1141 bulbs get warm but will not overheat. I have done what all sane RV users in these days and times have done, and installed LED lights in the fixtures, which do not have the heating or current draw issues.

One complaint had to do with a off brand non-DOT approved tire, nothing that could be related to the RV on which it was installed.

The total failure of the transmission on the 2006 and earlier chassis (5 cylinder) models is fairly well known and more common than failure of the transmissions of later model Sprinters. Not much to say here other than keeping them cool and operating them with as little load as possible goes a long ways toward making them last, along with frequent fluid changes.

There were two complaints from (apparently) the same person, same city, different dates, noting that they "had been complaining" about the "soft brakes" and that they were told it was normal, which it is in fact true, the brake pedal has a lot of travel and tends to feel spongy, a common Sprinter complaint for first time users, but not an issue, the brakes work fine.

Two other complaints were again from the same person, same date, same wording, about the very low OCCC. It is worth noting that the person may not even know what they were complaining about, they could not spell View, nor Itasca correctly.

Its basically a couple of lingering issues and the remainder are old issues that have been long ago resolved.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

Tags
chassis, class c, leak