Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Bigfoot Leveling System -- Options

I've almost decided to get Bigfoot Levelers for my 2004 Itasca Spirit. I've owned our rig since September (only a few months of actual on-the-road experience), so I'm still learning.

As I said, I'm *this* close to a purchase, but I discovered something during my due diligence research that's giving me pause -- kind of a pre-purchase buyer's remorse. I'm seeking advice to make sure I don't have the post-purchase kind later.

Would like to hear from Class C Bigfoot owners about my three purchase options: the Wired EZ System, the Wireless EZ System and the Automatic Leveling System. The factory has a huge installation special -- $500 off -- so I'm paying for everything this month and having the factory install the system in March when I get back on the road.
* The Wired System and Wireless appear to be identical, except for the location of the controls (on the dash or in the hand). Both are manual systems. Both wired and wireless have one pump that operates the four jacks in pairs. Both have a one-year warranty on everything: cylinders, parts, labor.
* Wireless is $420 more. That's doable.
* The Automatic Leveling System is most expensive -- another $850 above the Wireless System. But it has one pump for each jack, allowing each jack to be operated individually. It has a lifetime warranty on the cylinders, two years on parts and one year on labor. Sounds good, but that $850 will buy an awful lot of gas and money isn't exactly growing on trees where we live.

Don't know why there is only a one-year warranty on cylinders on the two EZ Systems and lifetime on the other -- according to the website, both systems use the same cylinders. But there it is.

I'm leaning toward the wireless system, but am a little concerned about the short warranty.

I'm looking for opinions about:
* whether the automatic is worth the extra money (for the automatic convenience, but primarily for the longer warranty) -- one question here is whether I would ever *need* to operate jacks independently (not sure I would, but I'm not smart enough to know at this point);
* if anyone has had any problems with the less-expensive wired and wireless EZ Systems, or has any other thoughts about their reliability;
* whether I should pay more for the Wireless EZ System so I can level a coach from the outside; and
* if my Good Sam Extended Warranty would cover the cost of repairs for the leveling system once outside the manufacturer's warranty (I'm not sure it would).

Would appreciate any comments. Have to get Quadra the money in January to take advantage of the installation special.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the questions. I am interested in the responses you will receive as I am considering the same system. Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

Big foot levelers

I have the Bigfoot wireless levelers on my 30' class C, I installed them myself last year. The system works perfectly and I have had no problems. I chose the wireless system over the wired system just because it was easier to install, I didn't have to run as much wire. I think if I were having it installed I might consider the wired system, but it is pretty nice to just grab the remote and walk outside to do the leveling, if I am in a wide open area I will level from inside, but if I backed into the space I like to go outside and make sure the jacks are not hitting anything, also makes it easy to put blocks under the jacks if you need more height. I have never felt that I missed something by not getting the auto version. hope this helps.
Brent
737brentc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
I am interested in the responses you will receive as I am considering the same system.
I'd be interested in knowing what factors "you" think are important and are considering, Big Dog.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I like the idea of the separate pumps and the independent operation of the jacks. Mainly thinking of the situation when the site might have one corner lower than the rest. This may not be a concern with a block or two placed under the low corner. A couple boards are cheaper then the $800 price difference. Do you know if the wireless option can be added later to the hardwired system?
Paul
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I like the idea of the separate pumps and the independent operation of the jacks. Mainly thinking of the situation when the site might have one corner lower than the rest. This may not be a concern with a block or two placed under the low corner. A couple boards are cheaper than the $800 price difference. Do you know if the wireless option can be added later to the hardwired system?
Paul
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

I had BF on my 83 class A. Just wired back than. Separate pumps. Company stands behind there product.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
Do you know if the wireless option can be added later to the hardwired system?
It appears to be one or the other. But I'll ask.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #9

http://thebigfootleveler.com/
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #10

Wow, this thread is like a blast from the past. I got my Bigfoot fully auto system directly from Quadra last February. I took advantage of their install sale then too. I wrestled with the exact same thing as you for a long while. In fact, even after I had paid, but before install, I considered downgrading. I went through with the fully auto. So here are my thoughts.

I think the fully auto system is overkill for a class C. If you are talking a big A, I get it. But there's more than enough juice for a C.

The longer warranty is what sold me on the fully auto system. I figured it might pay for itself if I ran into trouble. I haven't yet by the way knock on wood.

I also figured it would make my unit that much more attractive when I try to resell it. And that I would recoup some of the dollars or my unit would sell faster.

With that in mind, I helped justify the extra cost in my mind by saying it was only $X per season (based on X years of planned ownership).

I also figured I'd use the install sale to somewhat offset the more expensive system.

All that said, I honestly can't say what I'd do if I had to buy again right now. I'd much rather save the money but the longer warranty and convenience of leveling inside is SO nice. Especially when we pulled into a campground at 11 PM in the pouring rain after having been on the road for 12 + hours one day.

You may want to factor in the age of your unit. Being an '04, are you planning to keep it for only a short time or for a long time. Of course, the shorter the time the harder to make it payout.

I would not buy the wired system. As I recall, there isn't an all up indicator light included. That's a nice double check feature.

Also, by the way, they didn't install my controls by the knee area of the dash. Said it was a liability thing with a protrusion on the dash and your knees. Makes sense. My control box is connected with a wire and sits under the drivers seat.

I guess I didn't say A or B so this probably doesn't help a ton. But maybe there's some thoughts that will help a little.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you do.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
It appears to be one or the other. But I'll ask.
It turns out you can order the Bigfoot wired manual system now and add wireless later. A Quadra rep told me in an email message that:
The wireless package includes the wireless panel, which as an add-on option cost $495.00. It also includes an "all-up" light limit switch harness. This can be added to the hard wired system as well for the cost of $295.00.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
How much does the whole system weigh?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
How much does the whole system weigh?
Quadra service rep told me 180 pounds.