Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Why in the world did you buy a Class C that needs ANY improvement in ride and handling? Did you not do a thorough test drive {at least an hour on a variety of roads, highways, and interstates}?
Because it is said that Thor coaches usually need a front end alignment when you pick up the NEW coach. And yes I test drove it and it drove well.
James Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #16

Thanks hilgert, I really appreciate you helping me.
Jake
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #17

Could someone recommend what front/rear sway bars to use. I pick up my new coach this month on the 28th so if I can get the swaybars installed before I pick her up that would be pretty cool
Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jake View Post
Could someone recommend what front/rear sway bars to use. I pick up my new coach this month on the 28th so if I can get the swaybars installed before I pick her up that would be pretty cool
This is what I used on my 2017 Sunseeker (on a 2016 chassis):

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar for Ford Van 150-350
It works on the E450 (at least mine and others)...the Amazon description is not correct.

Hellwig 7180 Rear Sway Bar
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #19

Hellwig on mine. The ones offered in Amazon are the wrong no. You can double check contacting Helwig. I bought mine in Summit.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
Hellwig on mine. The ones offered in Amazon are the wrong no. You can double check contacting Helwig. I bought mine in Summit.
I confirmed the model numbers from Hellwig, then I ordered from Amazon (I actually pulled the links on my prior post from my past Amazon order). They fit my 2017 Sunseeker perfectly. But I agree...always double check with Hellwig.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #21

I used a Roadmaster front bar on my 2006 E450. It is vastly superior in design to the Hellwig at least for my year. I am probably going to use the Roadmaster on the back also. The Hellwig mounts identical to the stock at the rear. The Roadmaster bar ends mount differently and are shorter giving more roll resistance, very handy for these slab sided overweight creations we drive. Instructions for both brands are available at their websites; look at the instructions and get under the motorhome to take a look. I know Hellwig is always the first brand put forward around here, I have to assume that is because their products are cheaper and most anything is better than OE. It is a shame we have to complete the manufacture of our motorhomes. For what we have to pay for these things, the stock crap OE parts should have been upgraded at the manufacturer.

ex spec5 Mark
Montana170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana170 View Post
I used a Roadmaster front bar on my 2006 E450. It is vastly superior in design to the Hellwig at least for my year. I am probably going to use the Roadmaster on the back also. The Hellwig mounts identical to the stock at the rear. The Roadmaster bar ends mount differently and are shorter giving more roll resistance, very handy for these slab sided overweight creations we drive. Instructions for both brands are available at their websites; look at the instructions and get under the motorhome to take a look. I know Hellwig is always the first brand put forward around here, I have to assume that is because their products are cheaper and most anything is better than OE. It is a shame we have to complete the manufacture of our motorhomes. For what we have to pay for these things, the stock crap OE parts should have been upgraded at the manufacturer.

ex spec5 Mark
For my year (2016 chassis) the front/rear Hellwigs are very robust and eliminated noticeable sway/roll. At 13500 lbs to 14200 lbs as-loaded (typically closer to 13500 lbs) we notice no issues with sway with the Hellwigs, and I imagine we drive a bit faster and corner faster than most folks do (wife has a heavy foot). Between the heavier sway bars, the rear trac bar, rear air bags (which came with the motorhome) and the Koni FSD shocks our Sunseeker feels very "planted" on the road and drives like a heavy SUV with stiff(er) suspension...we don't "float" down the road, and trucks passing in either direction are non-events.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
im a bilstein guy thru and thru, i have them on almost every vehicle i own. except the motorhome, i opted for the Konis. all i can say is wow. yes, spendy but imho worth the $$
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #24

For those who bought Beilsteins, which did you get, the Heavy Duty or the Comfort shocks?

I have a 27 foot E450. Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks.

Ted
Cebuano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #25

Wink Heavy Duty Bilstein's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano54 View Post
For those who bought Beilsteins, which did you get, the Heavy Duty or the Comfort shocks?

Thanks.

Ted
After speaking with Both Bilstein and Shock Warehouse customer service folks I went with their recommendation for the heavy duty Bilstein's. I usually run near or even at my GVWR {11,500#} which often includes towing my Harley {bike and trailer weigh 900#}. The comfort shocks are reputed to be best suited to large SUV's not full-size Class C motorhomes.

After 12,000+ miles with the heavy-duty Bilstein's I could not be more pleased with the improved ride and handling. IMHO: Koni's are fine shocks but more than a little overpriced.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano54 View Post

Thanks.

Ted
I had put HD Bilsteins on a large SUV (our tow vehicle for our previous bumper pull trailer...sold both when we got the motorhome). They made the handling better, but the ride got a bit harsher (in my opinion).

While I wanted better handling in the motorhome, I knew I did not want a harsher ride, so I went on a search for something that addressed both handling and comfort, and ended up with the Koni FSDs. If I had not found the FSDs, I would have used the HD Bilsteins (handling/safety over comfort).
Old 11-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #27

Bilstein shocks worked ok

I bought a used 31' Majestic class c this summer, with 110,000 miles on it.
It had a VERY hard ride , I had all new Bilstein HD shocks put on. Some improvement, Installed Sumo springs bump stop replacements on front and rear, MAJOR improvement,no more sway when trucks go by, Great cornering
I no longer have to correct steering every few seconds. Also put on all new tires and front end alignment
Majestic 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #28

Bilstein HD shocks and Helwig sway bars. If you can install them yourself. With the money you would save by installing them yourself, go have an alignment done with said saved money.

Speaking from first hand experience with using both Bilstein and Koni's,,, wished I went with Bilsteins instead of listening to the echo crowd here and a couple other forums...
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, koni, shocks