RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Bilstein shocks 2019 Ford e450

We have a 2019 jayco class c 22j and want to improve the ride. 22j rides like a brick. Change front and rear load master bars and steering stabilizer in front. Dropped tire pressure by 5 lbs, still not a fun ride over less than ideal roads. Want to add bilstein shocks, comments
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
We have a 2019 jayco class c 22j and want to improve the ride. 22j rides like a brick. Change front and rear load master bars and steering stabilizer in front. Dropped tire pressure by 5 lbs, still not a fun ride over less than ideal roads. Want to add bilstein shocks, comments
Bilstein shocks are known to increase ride harshness. I would recommend KONI FSD shocks. I installed them on our MH two years ago and like them.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...616&mk=75&mt=9
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #3

thanks, will look at koi shocks. the red hawk does not have JRIDE PLUS,no rubber dampers between the chassis and coach body, not good for ride comfort.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

Also and if you haven't already, have your MH weighed while fully loaded. You need to know at least total, front axle, and rear axle weights (four-corner is best). Then refer to your tire manufacturer's pressure recommendations and adjust your tire pressures appropriately. From my experience, many owners of "shorties" run too much pressure.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #5

I added some air ride airbags on our E3 50 class C chassis. It made a big difference especially in part it replaced the factory bump stops with a softer version inside the airbag.
Also our ride was horrible with our six year old Michelin tires. Donít remember what exact model they were but it was the ones that replaced the defects. Just put on the brand new MichelinĎs that came out recently and what a difference.
Tman1020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

Pretty sure even the "J-Ride" on the Redhawks included the rubber dampers.

Quote:
thanks, will look at koi shocks. the red hawk does not have JRIDE PLUS,no rubber dampers between the chassis and coach body, not good for ride comfort.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Bilsteins, Firestone air bags in the rear repacked leaf springs and Michelin tires. That coupled with the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and Helwig rear antisway bar have greatly improved (driving) and the ride.

YMMV
Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #8

I have bilsteins in mine. Highly recommended.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #9

never heard of repacked leaf springs? what are they....
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Read why the KONI FSD is what you should consider...

"The first shock absorber that offers superior handling without compromising comfort.

You canīt find a better shock for your motorhome than FSD: KONI frequency selective dampers. We have combined the benefits of performance and comfort into one shock absorber. FSD is firm for control over large bumps and corners, but soft for comfort over expansion joints and rough roads. While KONI is known to reduce bouncing in motorhomes, our FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach. The result is an incredibly smooth ride, with plenty of shock left to control pitching and swaying."

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...Motorhome/FSD/
Old 09-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Read why the KONI FSD is what you should consider...

"The first shock absorber that offers superior handling without compromising comfort.

You canīt find a better shock for your motorhome than FSD: KONI frequency selective dampers. We have combined the benefits of performance and comfort into one shock absorber. FSD is firm for control over large bumps and corners, but soft for comfort over expansion joints and rough roads. While KONI is known to reduce bouncing in motorhomes, our FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach. The result is an incredibly smooth ride, with plenty of shock left to control pitching and swaying."

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...Motorhome/FSD/
I put Koni FSD shocks in just the rear of our 24 ft. E450 based Class C years ago (the front shocks are still stock) in order to reduce the pounding on highway cracks, potholes, etc..

They have done just what they are advertised to do by giving us a much smoother - but still well controlled - ride in the rear. I have absolute proof of them doing that: Our shower is in the rear and it's door latch would always bounce open from the jolting when traveling ... now it never does.

I might add that Koni FSD shocks probably will not provide much advantage over many other shock brands on Class C motorhomes loaded close to the their design limits - such as most moderate size motorhomes built on the E350 chassis and most large size motorhomes built on the E450 chassis.

The FSD technology will come into play on Class C motorhomes with a stiff ride - which comes from "underloading the springs" of whatever chassis the motorhome is built on ... as was the case in our situation.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
We added Bilstein shocks and Hellwig anti-sway bars to our Winnebago Class C 22M (E350 chassis) and they made a huge difference in the sloppy, bumpy ride. Cut down noticeably on the shake rattle roll noises, too. We are not quite up to our carrying capacity when fully loaded (including dogs, people, full tanks) as per the CAT scales. Very easy to overload these smaller Class C's.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
never heard of repacked leaf springs? what are they....
Over time, leaf springs can flatten out. You can get them "re-arched" to put spring back in them.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #14

Cool I love my Bilstein's...

"Bilstein shocks are known to increase ride harshness."

Ok, you love your Koni's, I get that but your statement about Bilstein's is absurd.
Every coach is different, take the time to research what will work best for your coach and how you use it the majority of the time. For some folks the Koni's will work fine at half again the price of the comparable Bilstein.

After a lot of research the heavy duty Bilstein's turned out to be the best fit for my 2013 E-350 {GVWR of 11,500'} and while saving a bunch of money was nice it did not affect my selection... the lifetime warranty on the Bilstein's did. I put them on at 33K miles which was 32K miles ago and they are still performing like they did on day one, case closed.

I run near or even at at my GVWR most of the time and when I started towing my 10' cargo trailer with loads up to 2,600' I added Air Lift 5K# air bags to deal with the extra tongue weight of my single axle trailer. I have done absolutely nothing else to my suspension and yes I do run top of the line Michelin's but learned the hard way that replacing at 5 years is a very good idea.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, ford, shocks