Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Black Tank destroyed by blow out.

So I had my first blowout the other night an hour away from the campground. It was the inner tire on my driver side dually.

Got to the campground 2 days ago and noticed this morning water dripping from my black tank. Upon further inspection the exploding tire hit the black tank and put a 2" long split in it halfway up. Which is why I did not notice at first.

I need to replace the tank when I get home. What is involved? Who carries them? My tank is a 28 gallon drains at the end. But I noticed the inlet is on top at the complete opposite end and not in the middle like most of the tanks I see online. Thoughts??
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9548.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	334206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9549.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	334207Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9588.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	334208
ChucksterCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Have you thought about epoxy and maybe some strong tape to seal the crack?
Old 06-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksterCF View Post
So I had my first blowout the other night an hour away from the campground. It was the inner tire on my driver side dually.

Got to the campground 2 days ago and noticed this morning water dripping from my black tank. Upon further inspection the exploding tire hit the black tank and put a 2" long split in it halfway up. Which is why I did not notice at first.

I need to replace the tank when I get home. What is involved? Who carries them? My tank is a 28 gallon drains at the end. But I noticed the inlet is on top at the complete opposite end and not in the middle like most of the tanks I see online. Thoughts??
Attachment 334206Attachment 334207Attachment 334208
Just a thought...... if you have full insurance coverage on your coach, they may cover the damage to the tank and then you don't have to do it yourself.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Plastic tanks can be welded. The equipment is available from harbor freight for about $70.00
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #5

Just a thought. What are the date codes on your tires. RV tires age out long before they wear out.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Have you thought about epoxy and maybe some strong tape to seal the crack?
That would be my plan. Would could possibly go wrong? It’s already leaking. Like the other post said plastic can be welded if its thermoplastic. Or there has to be a JB Weld type epoxy to make a repair. An auto parts store like Napa, or Home Depot should have something.

I know there’s a two part epoxy that can be used to fix holes in metal gas tanks.

Just going thru the trouble of dealing with an insurance claim and how long an RV repair shop could fix it would drive me to try mine own fix first.
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #7

Looks like a easy fix from the pic, I used epoxy once to fix a small hole in a fuel tank and lasted for years.

Its called JB Weld you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

I would also get a 1/4 inch thick metal plate and install it on that side of tank to protect from another blowout and rocks, bad spot for a plastic tank right behind the tires.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
Just a thought...... if you have full insurance coverage on your coach, they may cover the damage to the tank and then you don't have to do it yourself.

Great idea. I do have full coverage.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Just a thought. What are the date codes on your tires. RV tires age out long before they wear out.

Yep already there. I was planning to have these tires replaced this year. It's a 2016 that I purchased 3 years ago with only 7000 miles. Tread is like new but tires just hit 6 years.

Pretty sure my tire incurred damage going over the Suwannee River overpass on 10 in Fl. I felt a huge sharp ridge that separated the road to the overpass. My left rear stated lumping like I threw a wheel weight.
Pulled over to a gas station and checked the tires. All I could do was thump them to make sure they all had air. Nothing was obvious so I kept heading to the campsite.

The galloping got progressively worse and I pretty much knew how it was going to end.

Guy changing the tire said I broke the belts. Which was indicative of the earlier hit sustained.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

There are rubber bushings that fit into holes you drill in waste tanks, where you need them.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-06-30-15-24-54.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	334222
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are rubber bushings that fit into holes you drill in waste tanks, where you need them.Attachment 334222

Thanks. Looks like an easy job to replace the tank.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:07 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Black tank normally TWO Inlets, Toilet and Bath SINK; not sure of fitting type? INLETS Might be the type where you drill hole, insert rubber grommet/bushing and push pipe into bushing? Or might be glued/ epoxied flange? Might vary by MFR? If you replace, maybe best blank, and YOU install fittings where you need them? TRY THIS: https://www.dyersonline.com/rv-plumb...-fittings.html
Old 07-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

Any thought given to applying layers of the FlexSeal tape? When it comes to these types of things, disturbing all the connections (inlets, outlet, vent, sensors) and the alignment of every hole, can introduce new leaks.

I would also consider reinforcing the length of that exposed edge of the tank with this and lots of adhesive.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Black tank normally TWO Inlets, Toilet and Bath SINK; not sure of fitting type? INLETS Might be the type where you drill hole, insert rubber grommet/bushing and push pipe into bushing? Or might be glued/ epoxied flange? Might vary by MFR? If you replace, maybe best blank, and YOU install fittings where you need them? TRY THIS: https://www.dyersonline.com/rv-plumb...-fittings.html

Thats awesome.. Thanks for the link!

By the way. On the return trip yesterday. The opposite INSIDE tire started bouncing as well. When I pulled over to check it, it looked normal.. However when I ran my hands around the tires I can feel something OBVIOUS..

The good tires were very warm and flat across the surface.. The bad tire had a rounded surface on the bad spot (indicative of a broken belt) and was HOT AF!

Ironically I stopped within miles of the previous tire change and called the same Firestone place. They came out with a new tire.. Swapped it and I was on my way again. (Dont even get me started on AAA Premier RV PLAN saving that for another post!)

Heading this week to replace all tires.. Again. While they 6 years aged... That was not the cause of the damage. The Effing road damaged both inside tires.

Tags
black tank, tank