Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
WRP

Black tank smell

I have a 2017 Jayco motor home . We get an awful smell from our black tank . We use Blue Power. We flush tank out every time we dump and that awful smell comes back in a day or 2 .
Any ideas. Thank you
WRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Is the smell inside the RV or outside? If inside, check under the sinks for an AAV (cheater valve) that is supposed to prevent odors from coming back up the drain and maintaining the water in the P-trap. These AAV do fail and easy to replace. You'll find the valve screwed into a verticle pipe the 'T's off the drain after the P-trap. They can be found at any home improvement or plumbing supply store.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #3

In my previous coaches I never had an issue with odor getting into the unit. With the new Minnie Winnie I find that if I am running the vent fan in the bathroom or the Fantastic vent in the bedroom it is enough to pull the odor up out of the tank whenever we flush. Did a test to see if it stopped when I wasn't running fans and we got no odor. If I started the fan and flushed we had the odor.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
WRP

I have the odor all the time. After tank is treated And flushed . Maybe check valve needs attention.
WRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure the toilet bowl retains a bit of water and the seal doesn't leak. In addition, I'd look and make sure all openings between the living quarters and the wet bay are sealed up. Expanding spray foam might help fill some gaps around pipes. As a previous post said, any vent fans, roof vents, open windows, can create negative pressure in the RV and draw air (and odors) from the wet bay. Your black tank shouldn't smell at all on the outside, you may have a bad connection between the tank and the vent that runs up to the roof.

The odor of the grey tank, the one that would be coming in a faulty AAV, can be as bad as the black tank from soap scum and food bits that go down the sink. I'd deodorize that tank in addition to your black tank.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #6

I second the water in the toilet. Also make sure the vent on the roof isn't plugged.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've found "happy camper" to work well in the tank for both odor and breaking down solids.

In addition I have "shark fin" vent toppers, they rotate with wind and pull the odors out.

The only time I smelled anything it was the LP regulator leaking
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Unless your toilet doesn't hold water or you are running the bathroom exhaust fan when flushing the toilet, it is not your black tank. Most likely, as Bob Flinn said, it's your grey tank AAV valves. AAV (air admittance valves) allow your sinks to drain smoothly without going blub, blub, blub. However, RV manufacturers seem to use the worst ones available to them. Look under your sinks for the AAV valves and replace with new ones (Lowes and Home Depot are good sources).

You might also want to dump some of your black tank chemicals down the sink drain to help keep down some of the gray tank smells as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2001 Winnebago Brave did not have the vent pipe sealed to the black water tank, so there was odor when driving, especially with a window open. A quanty of sealant dumped down the hole around the vent pipe cured the problem
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #10

I have found that some of the chemical tank stuff causes more odor as the waste breaks down. I found an organic one that works better. Also added a cyclone vent and that has helped a lot
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #11

I have the same problem when I run the whole house fan in the coach. It comes when the P trap for the washer is dry and not making the seal between the coach and tank. Also in my shower I have a sealing drain that I have to activate too also seal between the coach and the tank. when I have the two sealed problem solved

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I have the same problem when I run the whole house fan in the coach. It comes when the P trap for the washer is dry and not making the seal between the coach and tank. Also in my shower I have a sealing drain that I have to activate too also seal between the coach and the tank. when I have the two sealed problem solved
If you're not using your washer very often, the water can slosh out or evaporate from the laundry P-Trap. If you don't have a washer, put a PVC end cap on the drain. You don't have to glue it, it will fit snuggly enough without glue.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have read of a couple of potential causes: 1) vent FAN running when flushed; 2) Tank VENT VALVE (when equipped, usually under sink??) is defective (should only SUCK air into tank, when defective, can leak stinky into space); 3) Roof Vent PIPE (when equipped) not properly anchored, weight of pipe pushes down on tank top and top of pipe drops down, is now loose in wall, venting INSIDE. Hope this helps
Old 09-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My black tank vent stack on the roof is only a couple feet from the bathroom vent so when the wind comes from that direction it pulls the smelly air right in the vent. Solved that issue with a MaxxFan which pushes the air out the vent much better than the wimpy factory unit. Much quieter too.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, smell, tank