Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #1

Blackstone grill

any pro's or cons. currently have q grill which we love.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #2

The 'Blackstone' is a griddle not a grill. We carry both a grill and the 'Blackstone Griddle'. The 'Blackstone' is great for anything you would normally fry in a pan including eggs; bacon; vegetables, etc. and the flavor it adds is similar to cast iron cooking. We love ours but would not give up our grill for steaks and hamburgers.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Do you mean a Blackstone griddle? A grill and a griddle, as rffowler55 mentioned above, serve two different functions. Several Blackstone owners we talked to stated that a Blackstone griddle is much like a cast iron pan in that they work great but require some attention to keep them "seasoned" and, oddly enough, seem to perform better the more they are used. Because we're not full-timers, we decided to get a 24-inch Royal Gourmet griddle which has a porcelain enamel cooktop and (I hope!!) doesn't require quite as much maintenance. We've only used it a couple of times but we've been very pleased so far.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #4

I've had one for years. One important thing to note is they don't work well in the wind. I made a 3 sided sheet metal wind shield and it helps, but in a stiff breeze it's hard to get the griddle hot. Otherwise it's great. If you get one get a grill mat. Best $15 I've ever spent.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #5

I cook steak and hamburgers on mine all the time and they are delicious.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
chs

Bought the blackstone, used once and sold my Weber grill.
Love the blackstone. Once you learn to use it, you'll find you can cook almost everything in it.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #7

We absolutely love our Blackstone!!! We make smash burgers all the time and they are awesome! We have made fried rice and shrimp kabobs and bacon & eggs and pancakes and lots of things you can't make on a traditional grill. We only have it at our house. We love cooking on a griddle so we bought a nonstick electric griddle for the camper. It is lighter, easier to store, and easy clean up. The food is not quite the same but we can cook all the things mentioned above and all outside!
Old 06-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

I have one it's ok ! nothing to write home about , little heavy to be portable! 17 inch uses the little screw on propane bottles , if I had it to do again I wouldn't !!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
I have one it's ok ! nothing to write home about , little heavy to be portable! 17 inch uses the little screw on propane bottles , if I had it to do again I wouldn't !!
Whaaa?
You can use your coach lp quick disconnect. Just buy the 12ft hose. You can remove the fitting for Coleman 1lb bottles. My Blackstone with 17” griddle and high btu side burner. Weighs about 33lbs, but you can remove the griddle and burner grate for easy lightweight storage. We cook 75% of our meals on it. Never cook inside ever again. Nothing better for boondocking.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 22” griddle two burner with stand. We love it for everything. We gave our grill to our daughter. The griddle cooks very quickly so you have to watch it closely. As someone stated above, in windy conditions it’s not as effective but neither is a grill.

I don’t like carrying the little bottles since I have lots of propane onboard. I bought the necessary gas connections and hose to use my onboard propane tank.

It folds up nicely even with the stand and takes up little room in the basement.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

I have the 17" griddle for the RV and the 36" griddle at home. Enjoy using them. Makes a great burger, any kind of breakfast, fajitas, stir fry, Just about anything. But I like my steaks cooked on the grill instead if the Blackstone griddle..
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #12

We have tried a couple different setups including the Blackstone and we use the onboard propane in our coach. For as much as people rave about it I am not a fan. It is heavy for one thing. Then I had to add the hood option to keep heat in to melt cheese for a burger, etc.

We got a Ninja Foodi Grill for Christmas that we didn't think we would like..... but we love!
It will Grill, Air Crisp, Bake, Roast, and Dehydrate. The Smoke Control System provides for virtually smoke-free grilling as well. It makes perfect steaks, burgers, fish and chicken.... every time..... and clean up is pretty easy.

We just bought a smaller version on sale at Costco this week.

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-s...100646395.html

We decided this will now be our grill for RV'ing. Even though it is electric we can use it outside or inside when the weather is not cooperating. It's a great size and clean up is very easy.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #13

what judge64 said. Heavy and clean up to take care of it well is a bit much. However, we are on the road a lot. It is better if you are set up a few days in one place. Does cook a variety well.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #14

Sold our 22” Blackstone and kept our Webber. To bulky, heavy and didn’t like the effort required to clean it and the grease tray. We use a cast iron skillet when desired and actually don’t cook much of anything in oil anymore.
The Blackstone was great for burgers and stir fry meals.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote