Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #1

Blowout Aftermath

So we had our first blowout while on the road. Only doing 65-70 on I-10, westbound just inside the Arizona border (after having survivied I-10 in New Mexico) No warning from the TPMS so have to presume I ran over something.

Right rear *inside* tire just decided to release all its inner tread. Managed to get to the shoulder. Then I limped about a half-mile to the I-10 Business exit at San Simon. Found a nice flat gravel pullout and parked it. By this time *most* of the outer tread area had also come off.

I've already ranted about roadside assistance on another forum so I'll spare you the details, but about 6.5 hours later a replacement tire was installed. It's a Goodyear, and I had absolutely *no choice* on the tire, while all the other tires are 'Thunderer'. Tire guys had never heard of this brand in 30 years of doing tire things. One more reason to sorta hate on the previous owner.

So to avoid driving around with different height tires on a dually the first stop this morning is Discount Tire to get a matching Goodyear and put both on the front, swapping the front tire to the dually so the tread depth will hopefully be very close again. Or I guess I could try to get two other tires and trade in the Goodyear? Unsure.

The tires are only 2-3 years old. I have a spare at my brother's house. Too bad I didn't manage to get it mounted and have it with me, saving me potentially lots of time and a couple-hundred dollars. And now I will have an *additional* spare tire w/out a wheel.

Fun times on the road!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

Hi dixonge,

According to your profile, you own THIS RIG which is 32.6 feet long with two slide-outs. That is an unfortunate but common story with rigs that big and assumed extra heavy. You are very lucky that the tire did not damage the motorhome in some fashion.

I would buy those extra load "commercial grade" tires talked on this forum. Each tire handles an extra 500 to 600 pounds at 83 psi. I recommend THESE MICHELIN TIRES but there are other brands to chose from. On the website, scroll down and click on "specs". It is there you will see the extra load rating of 3195 pounds per tire at 83 psi.

Find the tires you currently have on your rig, compare the specs, and note the difference.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd suggest doing some research on the tires. What size do you have. What are their load rating.

Any idea how your coach is loaded as far as weight. What is the recommended tire size and load range.

Putting a good tire on the steer axle is probably the best thing to do. Not sure if Goodyear it that tire though, maybe they've gotten better?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4

Question No damage?

You may want to have your coach thoroughly inspected for damage. When RV tires blow they often unleash an inordinate amount of damage causing power. At the very least have Discount take a serious look.

When my driver side outer dually blew I knew there had been some damage. The claims adjuster for GEICO guesstimated it to be around $1,000. When it got to the shop for repairs they found that the wheel well had been blown right up through the floor of the coach and the damage came to $4,181. If you don't catch it now it will be a tough sell to your insurance company down the road.

I have to note here that GEICO was great in handling the claim paying for everything {minus my $500 deductible} to include writing me a $250 heck on the spot for the blown tire.

Having had this experience now would be a good time to get your coach to a CAT Scale so you can make sure your tires are loaded appropriately and aired up sufficiently {as per the tire manufacturer's load inflation tables} for the weight they are actually carrying. Good luck.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi dixonge,

According to your profile, you own THIS RIG which is 32.6 feet long with two slide-outs. That is an unfortunate but common story with rigs that big and assumed extra heavy. You are very lucky that the tire did not damage the motorhome in some fashion.

I would buy those extra load "commercial grade" tires talked on this forum. Each tire handles an extra 500 to 600 pounds at 83 psi. I recommend THESE MICHELIN TIRES but there are other brands to chose from. On the website, scroll down and click on "specs". It is there you will see the extra load rating of 3195 pounds per tire at 83 psi.

Find the tires you currently have on your rig, compare the specs, and note the difference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Ron says^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bought Toyo "Celsius" commercial tires with the extra load rating for just under $147 each and free shipping from tirebuyer.com to the local tire mounting shop of my choice about a year ago. (They sell the Michelins and commercial Nexus tires as well.) $150 to mount and balance at a Peerless tire store here in Denver. Only one trip so far (to Montana and back) but the ride and handling seems just as good as the "normal" LT 225/75 R16 Bridgestones I replaced.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/toyo.../p/TV190003728

Historically (FWIW): Each of the 3 owners of my rig (me being #3) had a blowout on an inside rear dual on Goodrich tires just under 5 years of age. Only the original owner had damage…….the steel belt "knocked the crap" out of the black tank (replacement must have been expen$ive.) When I had my tire failure, I replaced all tires (while on the road) with Bridgestones. The Bridgestones never gave me one problem in just under 6 years but I replaced them with the "extra capacity" Toyos anyway. Just a bit more peace of mind as I roll down the road fairly close to my GVWR (like many 30+ ft Class C's) and real close to my front GAWR.

I sure hope you get rid of your "Thunderers". Tires are so much cheaper than bones.

Safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

Sorry to see you had this problem
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So we had our first blowout while on the road. Only doing 65-70 on I-10, westbound just inside the Arizona border (after having survivied I-10 in New Mexico) No warning from the TPMS so have to presume I ran over something.

Right rear *inside* tire just decided to release all its inner tread. Managed to get to the shoulder. Then I limped about a half-mile to the I-10 Business exit at San Simon. Found a nice flat gravel pullout and parked it. By this time *most* of the outer tread area had also come off.

I've already ranted about roadside assistance on another forum so I'll spare you the details, but about 6.5 hours later a replacement tire was installed. It's a Goodyear, and I had absolutely *no choice* on the tire, while all the other tires are 'Thunderer'. Tire guys had never heard of this brand in 30 years of doing tire things. One more reason to sorta hate on the previous owner.

So to avoid driving around with different height tires on a dually the first stop this morning is Discount Tire to get a matching Goodyear and put both on the front, swapping the front tire to the dually so the tread depth will hopefully be very close again. Or I guess I could try to get two other tires and trade in the Goodyear? Unsure.

The tires are only 2-3 years old. I have a spare at my brother's house. Too bad I didn't manage to get it mounted and have it with me, saving me potentially lots of time and a couple-hundred dollars. And now I will have an *additional* spare tire w/out a wheel.

Fun times on the road!
In the rear you need to install Load Range E with a Load Index of 120/121. The Load Index is very important because most Load Range E tires have a lower Load Index and will not carry the extra weight you need for a 32 foot Class C. The Load Index will be on the side wall after the tire size. The 120/121 means the tire will support 3195 lbs as a single inflated to 80 PSI and 3042 pounds for dual applications. I assume your tires are 225/75R16. Below is what we installed on the rear of our brand new 2022 Quantum even through it had new Hankook tires from the factory. These tires are referred to as Commercial and used on service vans. We sold the Hankook tires on Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C37TFZQ...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
In the rear you need to install Load Range E with a Load Index of 120/121. The Load Index is very important because most Load Range E tires have a lower Load Index and will not carry the extra weight you need for a 32 foot Class C. The Load Index will be on the side wall after the tire size. The 120/121 means the tire will support 3195 lbs as a single inflated to 80 PSI and 3042 pounds for dual applications. I assume your tires are 225/75R16. Below is what we installed on the rear of our brand new 2022 Quantum even through it had new Hankook tires from the factory. These tires are referred to as Commercial and used on service vans. We sold the Hankook tires on Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C37TFZQ...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Ya know - I've *seen* these extra Load Index numbers, but I somehow missed the 'Range' in 'Load Range' - - so inside of the Load Range E there is a, you know, *RANGE* of possible loads?

OK, I think I got this now. Unfortunately if you are dealing with roadside assistance or Discount Tire, and you need something *now* - you really don't have a way to specify the load index. And that's how you end up with subpar tires. I was already planning on updating the rear tires at some point, might need to look into this sooner rather than later...

OK, so - an update.

Yesterday Discount Tire in Tucson rearranged the tires as requested. Unfortunately they don't actually have Wranglers in stock, so I opted for an equivalent Cooper.

However, at the first rest stop I noticed that my brand-new Goodyear had a small sidewall bulge right next to the rim. Stopped at *another* Discount Tire and they 'wrangled' things around in such a way that I basically paid $30 or so to have the Goodyear swapped out for another Cooper. Steering tires now match, cool!
Old 12-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi dixonge,

All my tires appear to be load index 115. That gives me 10,716 pounds on the rear axle. GAWR is 9600. So there seems to already be a buffer in there. I'm not sure why I need even *more* buffer? The last time I weighed I was running at 9220 on the rear axle...
Old 12-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
You may want to have your coach thoroughly inspected for damage. When RV tires blow they often unleash an inordinate amount of damage causing power.
As far as I can tell there was no damage. Wheel well is intact. While inspecting I did notice that the tail pipe's last support hanger is missing (the rubber piece) - not sure how long it's been gone or whether it was taken out by the flying tire tread.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
All my tires appear to be load index 115. That gives me 10,716 pounds on the rear axle. GAWR is 9600. So there seems to already be a buffer in there. I'm not sure why I need even *more* buffer? The last time I weighed I was running at 9220 on the rear axle...
Please clarify if you are weighing your rig fully loaded with a full tank of fuel & fresh water, people, and all your stuff during a trip, or is your weigh-in done afterwards when at home.

Your actual rear axle weight seems quite light compared to our 24 foot long rig with no slide-outs SEEN HERE.

This is our typical weight during a trip.

Here is our rig weighed with everything and everyone removed, but still with a full tank of gas and propane.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Please clarify if you are weighing your rig fully loaded with a full tank of fuel & fresh water, people, and all your stuff during a trip, or is your weigh-in done afterwards when at home.

Your actual rear axle weight seems quite light compared to our 24 foot long rig with no slide-outs SEEN HERE.

This is our typical weight during a trip.

Here is our rig weighed with everything and everyone removed, but still with a full tank of gas and propane.
GAWR as quoted was rear axle only.

My last weigh-in was full water and full gas, empty grey and black. Since then I added some batteries in the back but removed the spare wheel/tire. We are full-time so the rig is fully loaded w/ clothes, tools, ladder, solar panels, full fridge, etc. We're under the max ratings for both axles. I'd like more buffer, but it is what it is...
Old 12-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
GAWR as quoted was rear axle only.

My last weigh-in was full water and full gas, empty grey and black. Since then I added some batteries in the back but removed the spare wheel/tire. We are full-time so the rig is fully loaded w/ clothes, tools, ladder, solar panels, full fridge, etc. We're under the max ratings for both axles. I'd like more buffer, but it is what it is...
Based on what you shared, you do seem to have adequate rear axle weight margin.

Our short rig's particular weight distribution places so much weight on the rear axle, and so little weight on the front axle. It is exaggerated such that our rear axle actually exceeds Ford's 2007 E350 GAWR-rear of 7800 pounds.

I drew this up some time back which graphically explains our condition. I find it especially interesting that our front axle is only 100 pounds heavier when our rig is fully loaded including us (300 pounds combined) sitting in the front seats.

I don't sweat it concerning our rear axle over-load condition because our standard E-rated tires handle the load appropriately. I upgraded the shocks, and added a heavy duty rear stabilizer bar & trac bar. Back in 2007 Ford did not install any kind of rear stabilizer bar which influenced the 7800 pound rear GAWR.

Note how high the front end is in the picture above. Not only because of the excessive weight in the back, but also in-part because the front coil springs were over-rated for the actual load.

The picture below was taken after the change to softer front coil springs which levelled the rig nicely along with offering a more comfortable ride.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #14
chs

Quote:

Fun times on the road!
Glad all worked out.
What rig do you have. It helps to put that info in your signature.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote