Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Bottom Line

OK, got a quote on a "new" 2011 Jayco Melbourne 29D for $76K. Got a quote for a "used" 2011 Melbourne 29D with 6,600 miles on it for $70K. The used Jayco does not have any factory warranty (as a second person owner).
What to do?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You'll have to decide if $6000 is worth giving up 24 months/24,000 miles of coverage should something go wrong.

I heard Jayco also offers 1yr free roadside assistance through CoachNet. Is that also not available as a 2nd owner? Another thing to consider buying used over new.

If it were me, I'd go for the new to have the warranty & roadside assistance.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might be able to purchase warranty type coverage on the used unit. Ask the dealer. I faced the same issue and chose the new unit. I enjoy that new car smell.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #5

In this economy, especially with a motorized unit, YOU are in the drivers seat with regard to price; the ones you gave seemed much too high.

Years ago we bought new and never, never again the instant depreciation was astounding.

The dollars for used should reflect this, 6k is no where near what the difference should be. For new we would offer at least 25% less than list-used 35% for the year mentioned.

The profit rv dealers make on new sales is breathtaking and I would venture to guess that with the new coach you are looking at the dealer would be putting a minimum of $18,000 in his/her pocket, crazy money for insane times.

If you were to take the used rv to a dealer for either a buy or trade in we believe you would go into vapor lock when you got the price they were willing to deal on-be the same, play hardball there are not many people looking at gassers anymore.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
msrp on the new mh is $105K. Dealers quote is $76K. Seems to fall right in with what you are saying.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

How old is the new and used unit? We pre-purchased a new 2010 in late 2009 and picked it up March of 2010. We found that the Chevy part was 2008 vintage. You might want to check on the actual age of the motor of each.
EdOsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
both are 2011
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
both are 2011
TC - the question is what year is the E450 under that used unit. When I bought my Itasca in October we were also considering a Jayco 26DS Greyhawk. We rejected the Greyhawk based on .525 wh/length ratio. But, I did check to see what chassis this brand new 2011 model was riding on - it was a 2010. There were a few upgrades for 2011 and one is a GCWR of 22,000 lbs.

Our Itasca is also a new model for 2011 (26QP Silver) and when I looked at some US dealer inventories (which showed the VIN) they had 2010 chassis. Ours is 2011.

If the used unit you are considering was made last fall it could easily be a 2010 and some jurisdictions license based on year of the chassis. Of course the new unit could have a 2010 chassis as well. At one point some manufacturers were still trying to use up chassis that were 2 years old.

Why did the original owners trade? I can think of one thing they may have discovered that they did not consider at time of purchase - limited external storage. We ruled out the Melbourne for that reason alone even though we felt the interiors were nicely done. With three of us there was just not enough storage. Our Impulse, although small, has 74 cu ft (the 29D is 25 cu ft). In some cases I've seen people dump a MH quickly when they have nothing but trouble with it - and no manufacturer is immune from putting out an occasional lemon.

I'd vote for the new unit (but my vote doesn't count )

Don
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I'd go for the used unit and tell the dealer to throw in the bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years or 24000 miles.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
The "used" unit is privately owned. Not at a dealer.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
The "used" unit is privately owned. Not at a dealer.
Not often that you can buy a MH, use it for 6,000 miles and then sell it without a warranty and only lose $6,000.

I'd say go new for sure if you really want this model. For this price gap I wouldn't eve consider used.

Do you know what the owner paid and why he wants to sell. He may have well paid a high buck and figures he is giving a good discount from his purchase price.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Says he's moving up to a Class A mh.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Perhaps you should consider what me and DW did....looked at the Super B's and went to the Class A for the extra space... and mileage is almost identical !