Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #1

Bought MH in Utah- Help with Driving Home to Michigan

Just bought a used Class C 32' MH in Utah. I will be flying to Salt Lake City to drive it home(Michigan) soon. Is this possible to do this time of year on I-80?
I have not driven anything this big and definitely not through mtns or snow. They won't let me keep it there til spring so I kinda feel stuck.

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

A Class C shares much in common with a U-Haul van nose box truck. People drive the 80 year around in these rigs.

And I submit that the authorities will close the road or enact chain controls during winter storms...at which point, I would just wait-out any storm.

-OR- If time is less of a factor, go south from SLC on the 15 into Nevada and cut over to the 40...then north around Nashville (?).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Thanks. I got worried when I saw there were parts of I80 closed today because of weather. Never had to use chains before. I was hoping to fly out this weekend.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so it is said, we do not recommend using snow chains on a RV...YMMV.

We just wait-out the major storms...if possible.

With only some exceptions, the RV's underbody and rear wheel wells are not really at the same design/materials level of normal production vehicles and there could be other bits near the wheel wells (like plumbing). Throwing a tire chain could be a VERY expensive problem.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum, jlwardn.

Some states do require you to at least carry chains in certain designated areas during the winter months, i.e. Washington and Oregon for instance do require it on highways, including interstates, in designated areas). However, I don't think either Utah nor Wyoming do. Somebody might have to correct me on that.

No matter, as Scarab0088 has mentioned, none of us really want to use chains on an RV and neither is it recommended to do so as lots of damage could occur if links break. Not to mention the hassle of installing and removing them. I am a former commercial driver and have hassled plenty of times installing and removing chains from buses and trucks, It's not necessarily fun to get out there in the freezing weather in the slush and ice to do that task. I remember one miserable night when a chain worked itself loose and got tangled and wrapped around the area between the duals. I spent a freezing half hour on my back in the slush cutting them off with a dull set of bolt cutters.

You have a house on wheels. If chains are required anywhere on I-80 during your trip, just pull over in a safe place off the highway and wait it out. You can check both weather conditions and road conditions online. Make sure the road is clear of ice and snow and the weather report is non-threatening as you don't want any possibility of sliding in a rig you're not completely familiar with. And Wyoming, for instance, has a minimum tire tread depth to operate a vehicle in the winter months so you may want to check the tires out too before you leave SLC. If the tread is poor, it's even more important that you do everything you can to not drive if the roadway is icy or snow covered.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can.

edit: Is there any way you can spend some time in SLC having the motorhome checked out and getting used to it? Then maybe you can put it in a storage facility and come back out in the spring to drive it back?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Look for a good dry weather window and HAUL ASS.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said I wouldn't recommend running chains. We have a pretty good snow removal crew along the Wasatch front here and it is usually only a short wait until the roads are cleared and safe for travel. We got slammed yesterday with snow and this morning I-80 was closed just east of us at Evanston but was opened later this morning, although it is now snowing like hell again outside.

Make sure the RV has decent tires and depths before getting on the road and then travel as allowed by the storms. Thus far we have been getting hit pretty hard this winter.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

You will have the strongest forearms and whitest knuckles by the time you make it back to MI. I have driven I80 from MI to SLC many times during this time of the year. The wind can be brutal in WY and NE, blowing snow and total whiteouts are not uncommon. There are a reason they have gates to close down I80 in multiple locations. Temps will be below 0 degrees F in many areas. IA to I94 can be rain, snow, freezing rain or if you are extra lucky...an ice storm. I am not sure if you have been following the weather out west this year but SLC has been getting a healthy dose of winter. Park City/Kimball Junction will get a foot tonight. On top of the 11" they received in the last 24 hours.

Fly out, inspect, agree to terms and have them move it to a storage facility of your choice for 3-4 months and fly back home. No need to add winter weather driving conditions the additional list of high stress items that come with new RV ownership. I am all for Maiden Voyages but I think you can pick a far better time of year and truly enjoy your new rig.
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Look for a good dry weather window and HAUL ASS.

X2! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree that you could find a place to store it in Utah for two months and come back for it later.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Ummm get hearty here. After all you have a motorhome.. fill the tanks, on load some food and sleeping bags and wait for a weather window. If it snows pull off at an exit find a parking spot crank up the furnace.. make it a memorable trip. There are people out there actually living in similar situations on purpose, like in the oil patch etc.

So what if you have to call in sick at work for like a week. Lol
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Although driving on the road themselves doesn't bother me that much as I have lived here in Northern Utah my entire life. However, what I don't like is the brine solution and salty road grime getting all up under my coach. Even when we were snowmobiling I would pressure wash the hell out of the undercarriage after returning home. Now I try to avoid that crap if at all possible.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to keep in mind is that unless you plan on driving straight though you will need to stop overnight some. Almost all RV parks are going to be closed so Walmarts and Flying J's or someplace similar will be about your only choice.
I would find a place in UT to store it myself.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I drove I 80 from SLC to Cheyenne every week for 14 years. It is the most dangerous Interstate in the US that doesn't go thru East St. Louis. Weather of -30 is not uncommon and winds blow from the NW at 40 knots. Your light Class C is prime to get blown over, if not blown off the road. Snow blows across the road on occasion causing clear roads to become ice rinks. If you do drive it, be 100% prepared to spend the night in your rig. When the highways close, hotels fill up fast. And there was once I could no longer drive forward as I was in a complete white out. I live in Utah, there are plenty of outside storage lots where you could pay the previous owner to set it up for you so you could come get it in the spring.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote