Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Brake hose diameter?

Thinking of replacing the flex brake hoses on my Ford E450. Anyone know the diameter of that hose?

I'm trouble shooting the disappearance of my brake fluid (couldn't find a leak) and should probably check the brake line including the steel lines.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

As your breaks wear down your fluid level will drop are you putting a lot of miles on.

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Take an old one with you to get proper length and ends on hose...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #4

You order the hoses specific to the year, make and model. E450 parts are avalable everywhere.

Brake fluid level will drop, some, over the life of the brake pads.
If it needs fluid more then once, you have a leak.

You should see fluid where the leak is. Did you check the pressure switch right on the front of the master cylinder ?

If it's like mine, It's hard to see because it's under the coolant tank. Three screws and it can be moved out of the way with no coolant loss.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You order the hoses specific to the year, make and model. E450 parts are avalable everywhere.

Brake fluid level will drop, some, over the life of the brake pads.
If it needs fluid more then once, you have a leak.

You should see fluid where the leak is. Did you check the pressure switch right on the front of the master cylinder ?

If it's like mine, It's hard to see because it's under the coolant tank. Three screws and it can be moved out of the way with no coolant loss.
Take the VIN of the chassis to the Ford dealer and let them order the correct hoses for a perfect fit. Be sure and get the copper seals where the hose screws into the caliper.

Or order from Rock Auto, or as above, almost any parts place, NAPA, Advance, etc can get the proper hoses.

The pressure switch on the brake master cylinder is the one that caused the fires in the Fords. Other possibility is the master cylinder is leaking out the back into the brake booster.

Buy lots of fresh DOT 3 brake fluid and throughly flush and bleed the system.

Charles
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

I'm puzzled that I would have missed low brake fluid in the master cylinder. I either did or it's leaked.

"C" get's little mileage ('02 w/ 55k miles), used f/t 3-4 months, and stored 8-9 months in MX.

Changed tires after a blow out and brakes became mushy and smelled (didn't know I had the blow out, just the brakes started acting ''funny'').

Found the reservoir low night before returning North. Thought there was air in the line somewhere.

Plan to inspect/replace flex and hydraulic brake lines, lube the caliper, flush brake fluid. Probably lube wheel bearings too.

(Replaced tires last year and on a short trip noticed RV pulling slightly to the left when braking. Maybe the hose on the right side?)

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

You probably should replace the calipers. Ford used a phenolic material for the pistons in many of their calipers, and it eventually gets dirty, swells somewhat and seizes. I have had to replace the front calipers on my Ranger Pickup for this twice after they got hot and seized up. I understand the E350/450 also uses a similar caliper design.

Charles
Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If your brake lines are leaking, it is easy to spot and obvious as it will be much darker/oily than the normal dirty tan rusty film that is on the whole undercarriage.

Your low fluid:
- it can be normal, based upon brake pad wear and the calipers extending out making up for the brake pad wear. (Note that if you have abnormal brake pad wear due to sticky caliper for instance, the brake fluid will drop abnormally faster).
- leaking at the caliper pistons, you'll be able to easily notice that as well if you in to look at the brakes
- or if you can't find an obvious leak, you could have a leak in the vacuum assist, and it's sucking the fluid into the intake manifold and burning it up and out the exhaust.

A 2017 Newmar should have none of these abnormal problems however, and if did would be a warranty claim. I wouldn't be swapping out brake lines.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
A 2017 Newmar should have none of these abnormal problems however, and if did would be a warranty claim. I wouldn't be swapping out brake lines.
Sorry for the confusion. Brake hose is for my '02 Ford E450 Class C, not my Newmar.

Just tried the local Ford parts dept., who said the flex hoses are $100.00 a piece, and he didn't know what size there were -- diameter or length. Think I'm striking out....

Thanks for the input.....
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #10

Sounds like Ford parts man didn't know what he was doing. There is an exact part number for each hose, and using the parts books and the Chassis VIN it would be easy to determine. There is no guessing to it, no need to know any sizes, just the right part number.

Charles

Tags
brake