Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #1

Brake upgrade on a 2001 Ford E350

Looking for some help on upgrading the front and rear brakes on my 2001 ford e350. Rotors calipers pads all round. Make and grade of the parts. Drilled and slotted 2 piston calipers good front and rear pads.
triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

I use Heavy Duty Fleet on ours.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

On another vehicle I own, I learned the hard way concerning brakes with slotted and/or drilled rotors. If the vehicle will sit around a lot (as motor homes do) the rust build-up on the rotors becomes tremendous. Do NOT use slotted or drilled rotors on any vehicle that is not driven often enough.

I think it is best to keep what you have in it's best operational order. It's hard to keep them in great shape because of the rusty-rotor issue.

Another area of good maintenance is flushing your brake lines. How often is debatable, but if you have a lack in brake performance, you might try that.

We have a 2007 E350 motor home equipped with vacuum assist power brakes like a regular car has. The same model year E450 has a hydraulic power brake system that utilizes the power steering fluid. I always wondered if our braking would be better with that type of power brake system.

We most often tow with a tow vehicle, the one that once had slotted rotors. I set up the tow vehicle brakes using a "Unified" tow brake to help slow down the motor home. It works very well for increased brake performance. Of coarse the tow vehicle is working harder, but our safety is much more important than replacing brakes on a Jeep Liberty a little more frequently.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
We have a 2007 E350 motor home equipped with vacuum assist power brakes like a regular car has. The same model year E450 has a hydraulic power brake system that utilizes the power steering fluid. I always wondered if our braking would be better with that type of power brake system.
I really doubt you would be able to tell the difference. I have a 2003 RAM 2500 diesel. The brake booster is a hydroboost unit run off the power steering pump. Co-worker has a 2005 Surburban 2500 with an 8.1L Gas engine, it too has a hydroboost. I don't think on either one of these vehicles you can tell the difference or know what kind of booster, unless you looked.

My 2007 motor home on a 2006 Sprinter chassis had a Bendix vacuum booster and a vacuum pump on the engine to run it. It has the worst feeling brakes you ever saw. Lots of pedal travel, real spongy feel, but the brakes worked great, you just gotta get used to the way a Sprinter brakes feel. They bias a lot more pressure to the back that most vehicles. Lots of older Dodge and Ford diesels also used the vacuum pump and vac booster system. Some of this was done because the Heat and Air box used vac operated dampers. Most vehicles nowdays use electric motors on the heat and air dampers.

If the OP wants bigger, newer design front brakes, you have to change out the entire axle assemblies on the E series but you can get them new/but used from the 4wd conversion people, Quigley 4x4 or another outfit I don't recall the name of in Salt Lake City. They have new parts they remove and sell them reasonable.

Charles
Old 09-17-2020, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
If the OP wants bigger, newer design front brakes, you have to change out the entire axle assemblies on the E series but you can get them new/but used from the 4wd conversion people, Quigley 4x4 or another outfit I don't recall the name of in Salt Lake City. They have new parts they remove and sell them reasonable.
I have understood the same as you.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use Heavy Duty Fleet on ours.
Please clarify.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #7

Go to Rockauto and they offer different grades/manufactures of brake parts. Under heavy duty is the fleet type. Meaning a company that uses a lot of trucks. UHaul,Pensky, emergency trucks, etc.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Go to Rockauto and they offer different grades/manufactures of brake parts. Under heavy duty is the fleet type. Meaning a company that uses a lot of trucks. UHaul,Pensky, emergency trucks, etc.
I have had the older 94< e350 and currently the next version 97> . Rock Auto even though I have an auto repair and powersports shops,,, best choices and prices.

have done both over the years.. they newer one had 29K on it when i got it, sat a bit,, I chucked a frt pad. ruined rotor.. , figured new rotor and pads,, got good severe duty. well my bad, pads seemed a bit thicker,, well it pushed calipers into the rust zone, they hung up on test ridem pads causght fire in less than few miles..
Round 2 .. Bendix rotors from Rock,, on open box closeout.. took them. new calipers and OE semi metallic pads.. screw the extra HD. also got new drums and good shoes for back..
Installed all, stops on a dome towed my heavy arse 7x16 full.. not a regreat..
Did 4 KYB Motorhome "long" duty shocks, while i was under it, firmer ride, I dont complain of sway since it is not a race car, but honks 70-80 all day on innerstate.. I pass the tractor trailer, they don get me often and the Kuerig does not fly off counter with a cup in it...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ford, upgrade