Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Brakes pulling

Took the 2002 Tioga to get inspected about 5 miles from home. Near home on the way back the brakes were pulling to the left. Smelled hot when I parked. I didn't have time to look at it then. Lifted the wheels this morning and they all rotate freely. If this was a stuck caliper wouldn't it stay stuck? Also would it most likely be one of the front calipers? I recently replaced one of the rear calipers and cleaned up and lubricated the slides on the other rear.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Check to see if the calipers are the same as used on the workhorse chassis from that era. I think there was a recall on the workhorse due to the caliper piston sticking. From what i read, its an issue where piston is made of phenolic material and it expands and contracts at a different rate from the cylinder. Can become stuck and cause excessive drag on rotors. I just test drove a 2003 Damon Daybreak that was pulling hard to the right in a hard stop. Dealer ended up replacing calipers, rotors and pads for us. Not sure whether they did under recall or out of consignment owners hide.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

Did you bleed all the brakes after replacing the rear caliper?
Pz10420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Should have mentioned that this is an E450 ford. Also when I did worked on the rear brakes I flushed the fluid out completely so it's all new at all 4 wheels.

Just wondering how it could have been stuck when I parked it - then not stuck after it cooled off.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Should have mentioned that this is an E450 ford. Also when I did worked on the rear brakes I flushed the fluid out completely so it's all new at all 4 wheels.

Just wondering how it could have been stuck when I parked it - then not stuck after it cooled off.

I just got my E450 back today.
4 Sets of brake pads, 4 routers turned and 2 new Front Calipers,
2 rear axle grease seals, repacked the front wheel bearings,
and added braided stainless valve stem extenders to the duals.

Systems checked and setup by local Truck shop that opened in 1977.

I talked to him about sticking calipers. I had one that was frozen from rust.

He advised that sometimes new pads will run hot for a short while and even smoke.

The heat expansion will cause sticking.

Most of the time, after a couple of cooling cycles, they be fine if it is a new pad problem.

Some will require new calipers if the piston is not retracting fully and the pads are dragging on the rotor all the time.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
I just got my E450 back today.
4 Sets of brake pads, 4 routers turned and 2 new Front Calipers,
2 rear axle grease seals, repacked the front wheel bearings,
and added braided stainless valve stem extenders to the duals.
Too bad the mechanic didn't finish the job.
He really should have replaced both front rubber hoses to the calipers as well. While they may look fine on the outside those hoses can collapse internally and cause a caliper to not release.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Too bad the mechanic didn't finish the job.
He really should have replaced both front rubber hoses to the calipers as well. While they may look fine on the outside those hoses can collapse internally and cause a caliper to not release.

I'll go with what he did.
He knows what he is doing.

He has been working on semi and heavy trucks since 1977.
His references from major companies would fill this forum.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

Oldme - how many miles on the rig?

I took my front brakes apart, exercised the pistons and replaced the rubber caliper guide boots. Didn't see any evidence of overheating. Seems to be fine now.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Oldme - how many miles on the rig?

I took my front brakes apart, exercised the pistons and replaced the rubber caliper guide boots. Didn't see any evidence of overheating. Seems to be fine now.

My millage is 39796.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
A few weeks ago, I was driving home in bumper to bumper traffic (apparently a fatal accident by the looks of things) for almost an hour. I smelled a burning odor coming from my E450 2004 Jayco MH. The brakes were pulling to the left. While still in the traffic, the pulling and smell went away. As soon as I could, I had my repair shop check out the brakes. The left caliper had seized and the rotors (both fronts) had heat check marks. As I was at 40k miles, I had the hoses, pads, rotors (turning didn't fix them) and calipers replaced. Good as new now but my wallet is much lighter!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes