Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Breaker never tripped!

How is this possible?! Almost a fire Between my surge protector and extension cord and the campground breaker never tripped! Had to hacksaw them apart!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D634B576-C43F-4A17-BC03-B07FC5FF3691.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	299704   Click image for larger version

Name:	88BD4DFD-6545-414D-B30E-312916312B34.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	299705  

Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Breaker needs to see higher amp draw than its rated for or a dead short, what you had is bad connectections at low amp draw making high resistance which makes heat.......and in time stuff melts. The wiring never went to ground, came in contact with each other thus no breaker trip. Loose wiring , bad connections cause this. I have seen outlets, plugs do this when drawing close to breakers rated amps. Glad you caught it !
Old 09-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #3

I had that happen at the 30 amp inlet on my rv wall. First trip in new class c. White wire in the wall had never been tightened from factory. Lost power when it built up carbon from arching I guess. Went out to check problem and smelled burnt rubber. Ruined outlet and power cord. Forest river paid!
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
How is this possible?! Almost a fire Between my surge protector and extension cord and the campground breaker never tripped! Had to hacksaw them apart!
(Further), I say your problem was LOOSE WIRE/ LOOSE CONNECTION in the RECEPTACLE NEUTRAL, noting greater heat damage on Receptacle, but also Greater Neutral Insulation melt than on the HOT while NOT enough to say the PLUG was the cause, but more enough that it was a symptom. LUCK
Old 09-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

plug looks like heavily tarnished causing resistance causing heat causing melt down
need to remove tarnish on old plugs and replace tarnished receptacles
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a loose connection of a loose plug was the problem. I keep some No-Ox on the plugs to help out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #7

Good advice above.
30 amp circuit breaker in pedestal did not trip.
30 amp? circuit breaker in RV did not trip.
So current was not too high.

Socket got hot.
Plug less so.
High resistance equals heat.
Probably one or more bad connections in the socket. Could be corroded blades or socket or could be screws loose.
I can't tell if your picture shows plug or socket.

Good luck! Minimal Damage! Repair, replace and move on.

Checking and tightening all screw connections in RV service entrance area is a good practice. Check breaker connections. Check all buss bar connections. Check all inverter, charger, converter, transfer switch connections. Check all ground connections. It tends to prevent these kinds of issues inside the RV.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Looks like a loose connection of a loose plug was the problem. I keep some No-Ox on the plugs to help out.

Ken

What he said!
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

I replaced the cord end on my power cord because of signs it was heating up. It was a molded plug so no way to tighten the internal connection.

Its pretty amazing how much heat is generated by a loose connection. One time at work I entered a mechanical room to access the roof and before I flipped the lights on noticed a bright red glow on the wall. Turning on the lights I saw it was a screw connection on a piece of equipment. It was glowing bright enough to see even with the light on. I suspect a decent amount of RV fires caused are caused by connections vibrating loose over time.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I suspect a decent amount of RV fires caused are caused by connections vibrating loose over time.
One comment I read somewhere.... "A RV or travel trailer in motion is a studio apartment in a continuous earthquake."

Mike
Old 09-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

What they said!....basically you had a 30 amp toaster plugged in--no short, just lots of resistance.....you tend see this a lot at older campgrounds and with more modern 30 amp rigs with lots of electric toys, or with 50 amp rigs using 30 amp dog-bones....scary part is that this sort of thing can also happen to any loose connection inside your rig, eg, transfer switch, surge protector, inverter, breaker boxes, and wall plugs!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I replaced the cord end on my power cord because of signs it was heating up. It was a molded plug so no way to tighten the internal connection.

Its pretty amazing how much heat is generated by a loose connection. One time at work I entered a mechanical room to access the roof and before I flipped the lights on noticed a bright red glow on the wall. Turning on the lights I saw it was a screw connection on a piece of equipment. It was glowing bright enough to see even with the light on. I suspect a decent amount of RV fires caused are caused by connections vibrating loose over time.
Elecric welding is a bad connection.

You make the connection to start the arc and then back away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #13

TB--great description of a "loose connection"....my compliments...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #14

I am OP on this subject.

I contacted Sure guard, whom is Actually Southwire, (the company who manufactures and sells the surge protection device),. I explain to them the unit is 5 years old and I was looking for service, a new male end and testing the unit and that I was not looking for warranty work. see the below response. At $250, I Don’t think I’ll ever purchase another item from them in the future.

“Hi John:

If your male plug melted, that is usually due to a loose connection in the female plug it is inserted in. Normal configuration is to plug 34730 into pedestal and use an extension cord on the load side. That will keep the 34730 off of the ground.

The 34730 is an older device and the unit only had a one year warranty. We do not service any devices nor sell any spare parts due to the safety nature of it’s protection.

Regards,
S.

Steve Guarcello
Technical Support
Southwire Company, LLC

Phone 727-812-0578
Email stephen.guarcello@southwire.com
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker