Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

BT Cruiser Electrical Problems

In February this year we got our first RV. It is a 2009 BT Cruiser MB, Model #5234 on a 2007 Freightliner Sprinter chassis with a Mercedes diesel engine. So far, we have been very pleased with it. We are planning a three week trip out west in June.

This is the problem. Last week, I had a 30 amp outlet installed outside our house by a licensed electrician. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to us the electrician installed 220v outlet instead of 110. You probably know what happened when I plugged it in. Fortunately, the breakers appear to have prevented any damage to the refrigerator, AC, or microwave. However, after taking it out yesterday for an overnight to a campground, we do have some serious problems that need to be fixed. From reading online, I suspect the "converter" is damaged and probably the house battery. We have no power to the TV or Sirius. The AC and refrigerator work fine off the generator and did for several hours on the power at the campground then the AC cut off and the refrigerator as well. If I start the engine, they recover, but not for long.

We are new to RVing. Since getting RV, I have learned there are many variations among RVs. To some technicians that have done limited work on our RV, it's seems like a new learning experience for them. I need to get it looked at and get it fixed correctly as soon as I can. We live in Naples, Florida, but I'm willing to take it anywhere in South Florida if there is someone reliable and knows what they are doing. I have had some minor work done at Camping World in Ft Myers. I'm not sure I want to go there for this. I haven't been to Naples RV Center as yet. Has someone had any experience with them?

Does anyone have any recommendations on someone/someplace who does a good job with electrical problems on a vehicle like ours? Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Harold Williams
harwilli@comcast.net
239-877-1604
harwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Sounds like your converter is out. Running the motor runs the alternator which charges all your batteries. The refr, A/C, furnace, WH, and tons of other things use 12VDC for their control boards. Without it, they can't think.
Is the refr running on 120VAC power or LP? What about the WH on 120VAC? I'm surprised the micro survived.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sounds like your converter is out. Running the motor runs the alternator which charges all your batteries. The refr, A/C, furnace, WH, and tons of other things use 12VDC for their control boards. Without it, they can't think.
Is the refr running on 120VAC power or LP? What about the WH on 120VAC? I'm surprised the micro survived.
The refrigerator runs on both LP and 120 OK. As far as I know, WH (water heater?) only has ever run on LP. I have never found a way to run in on 120? It worked just fine on LP. And, yes, the microwave is OK. We used it last night. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Just surprised it didn't take out the refr heating element. I didn't know if your WH (yes, water heater) was gas only or elec too. If you told me your model I'd tell you if it was both or not.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

2009 BT Cruiser MB, Model #5234
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

No model of the WH.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #7

I'll get back to you. We found an RV tech in Fort Myers that came with good recommendations. So, the RV there right now. I'll post the outcome and the WH model # when we get it back. I still work full time (for another year). My response time is limited during the week.

Tags
electrical