Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Buying a used 1995 Gulf Stream Yellowstone Capri 27' MH for $2000!

Hello again. Been about 6 years since getting back into an RV.
A food is selling his 1995 Gulf Stream Yellowstone Capri 27' MH. It has a 460 V8 with 70K miles on it. It might be the high raise model? He told me the ceiling height is about a foot higher than him and he's 5'9" tall. Can you tell by the picture? He's going to drive it down from where he has it stored, it's got current tags and he has agreed to get it smogged (CA) I think it's a great price as he knows where coming back with just luggage so we'll be living in it for a while at an RV park until we get our feet back on the ground.

It was used last year for a camping trip. Friend said it has an exhaust leak when cold ... most likely a broken off bolt or hairline crack in the manifold. AC control panel is broken.... any replacements available? Water pump is weak but works ok of city water.
My son will be checking it out for us as we a moving back to our home state the end of this month... anything to look out for before buying it?

Thanks guys!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200311115230.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	277660  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
At that price if it meets your needs, no. It’s a tried and true old girl with a proven drive train and little things like water pumps etc mean nothing given the purchase price. I have a spare pump if you need one. Anyway congrats on finding an economical solution to your RV needs!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
At that price if it meets your needs, no. It’s a tried and true old girl with a proven drive train and little things like water pumps etc mean nothing given the purchase price. I have a spare pump if you need one. Anyway congrats on finding an economical solution to your RV needs!
Another friend suggest I watch some youtube videos on how to do a proper inspection. Do you know where I can download a free printable inspection check list?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #4

It's cheap..... price is not out of the realm

Yes, it's priced to sell for sure..

I don't know... I guess, take a chance.... it's only $2,000.

I hope you don't find that it has leaks and mold.... that would be bad..

It's interesting that it only has 70,000 miles? I see this as the biggest red flag..... personally, I find that really hard to believe....

That's less than 3,000 miles per year.... how long has this sat around?

You could ask for some records. . probably won't be available, but, heck, it's only $2,000. MPG, will be horrible.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1995/...3038605/Values
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
I hope you don't find that it has leaks and mold.... that would be bad.
That would be my concern too. Water infiltration is the number one killer of motor homes and it is most common in older class-Cs with the cab-over bed. That upper bed area resonates when driving. With age, seams often split, creating places for water to get inside. Water stains and a moldy smell are strong indicators that the rig has a serious problem, both structurally and also for your health safety.

Remove the mattress in the cab-over bed and inspect the area carefully. Not just visually, but crawl up in there and let your body weight feel the platform for structural sponginess. If it's all good then the rig is a great value.

I would not buy a rig with water infiltration. What looks like a minor leak, often turns into a major rebuilding of the entire cab-over area.

That chassis will have rear drum brakes which are great when adjusted properly. I would get them adjusted by a trusted mechanic. If not adjusted right (which is likely the case) they will do zero to 10% of the braking. If adjusted just right, they will do more than 50% of the braking because of the 4 tires in back with all the weight on them, grabbing the pavement.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #6

As the owner of a 94 Toyota I have replaced every piece of rubber on the unit. Things like leaf spring bushings, control arm bushings etc.

HOw old are tires, do not want to be driving on tires over 6 years old. Tires of unknown history possibly not over 4 years old. Sitting is the worse thing that can be done to tires.

Find the manual for unit, can just about guarantee that needed maintenance has not been done! Things like O2 sensor at 80,000 miles.

One person reported $4,500 damage from blown tire!

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

Didn't even consider the brakes....yes, your health.... WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
That would be my concern too. Water infiltration is the number one killer of motor homes and it is most common in older class-Cs with the cab-over bed. That upper bed area resonates when driving. With age, seams often split, creating places for water to get inside. Water stains and a moldy smell are strong indicators that the rig has a serious problem, both structurally and also for your health safety.

Remove the mattress in the cab-over bed and inspect the area carefully. Not just visually, but crawl up in there and let your body weight feel the platform for structural sponginess. If it's all good then the rig is a great value.

I would not buy a rig with water infiltration. What looks like a minor leak, often turns into a major rebuilding of the entire cab-over area.

That chassis will have rear drum brakes which are great when adjusted properly. I would get them adjusted by a trusted mechanic. If not adjusted right (which is likely the case) they will do zero to 10% of the braking. If adjusted just right, they will do more than 50% of the braking because of the 4 tires in back with all the weight on them, grabbing the pavement.
Yeah, at $2,000 it might sound appealing.... maybe you are "Mr. Fix It".....; however, how much money do you really want to put into a 25 years old RV?

Besides the poor MPG, gas guzzling behemoth, poor handling and steering, possiblity of mold, leaks and replacement of tires, brakes, rubber seals and who knows what....all of a sudden... I'm thinking.... maybe this is just not a good idea.... Again, maybe I'm wrong....

Condition, condition, condition... This is the most important part of the deal.....

Good luck.....I don't know, have you seen this or already purchased it.....?
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I took a chance on a 1996 Minnie 29RQ with 31K, had some old water damage and delame but was pretty clean, water leaks all fixed except for a sky light issue..

Yeah a dumped another @K in mine, paying way more.. But for sometime and a low budget, I am a happy camper..

Mine has a broken rt rear exhaust stud, a summer project, maybe,, It does not bother me..LOL

As for MPG .. 6-7 towing a 6k load.. 8-9.5 no tow and open road..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, gulf stream, yellowstone