Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #1

Buying a used class c

Hi, I am new to RV life and i'm looking to buy a class c used that I can remodel a little and take my dogs and cat on the road. I'd like to get at least 5 years out of this RV. I've found a 2007 Four Winds Majestic on a E450 Ford chassis asking $15k. It has 149,000 miles on it, and originally was a cruise america RV. Everything looks to be in good condition, he has done maintenance before any big trips and replaced things like the brake lines and batteries. My dad was a Ford mechanic, after many years of working on GM, pontiac, and chevy. He says absolutely do not buy a Ford chassis because they have a whole bunch of issues, and maybe things like a blown head gasket that you can't predict or mitigate. He was adament that I would be asking for some really expensive and difficult repairs if I get a Ford. The problem I'm having is in finding anything else that fits my small budget and isn't a Ford. My mom is concerned that the 149,000 miles might mean its nearing its end of life, but my internet searches are showing me that it should get 200,000-300,000 miles with good maintenance. I'd like to get some thoughts from anyone that has owned a used E450 or owned one for a long time. Have you had problems, and how costly or difficult to resolve have they been? Can I really expect to get close to 300,000 miles if I take good care of it? I am quite handy and the daughter of a mechanic, so I will have the ability to handle some issues myself, and will maintain it well. What do you think, is this a good deal or a nightmare waiting to happen?
Ashmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #2

you went from your dad being a "ford mechanic" to after many years of working on "chevy and pontiac" I hope he is wrong about the ford because my rv is a ford chassis.
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #3

Since most class C are fords I think you’d be able to find all these problems online easily. The percentage of class C that are fords has to be at least 75-80% compared to Chevy. Maybe higher
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #4

Buying a used class c

I’ve had mine with the V10 for 2 years now. Easy to work on so far for everything I have done. Seems quite reliable and has good power. Mine only has 76k miles but I have owned it for 14k of those.

I’d be way more concerned that it was a previous rental. That alone would make me walk away.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #5

Coming from someone who worked in and owned their own auto repair facility and auto machine shop for a total of 61 years I would tell you there are a lot of things I would be concerned about aside from the engine. Things like the transmission, differential and driveline components. Pulling that big box around on that chassis has had to have put some strain and wear and tear on all of the chassis parts. Other things like suspension parts, springs shock absorbers, steering linkage parts and suspension bushings. You have to remember this vehicle has bounced around for nearly 150,000 miles. Even empty you are approaching the maximum weight this chassis was designed to carry. Parts can, will and do wear out.
Other things to consider are water leaks in the house part of the coach. Especially around the areas where the house meets the cutaway portion of the Ford chassis.
Has this vehicle been driven in northern areas where the roads were salted in the winter months? If so a good look at the frame and crossmembers would be in order as well as mounts securing the body to the chassis for rust and or deterioration. A good check of the exhaust manifolds and exhaust system in general should be considered.
If the brakes were replaced, how thorough was the brake job or did they just slap a set of brake pads on the vehicle and drive it away leaving rusty warped brake rotors behind?
Check for oil leaks or seepage at the radiator connections for the engine and transmission oil coolers especially around the crimp connectors where the metal fittings meet the rubber cooler lines. Check the full length of the cooler lines and check the gas lines for the same reasons.
Demand any service records or receipts for anything which was previously done to this coach to get a handle on what has been and not done maintenance or repair wise.
Frankly, if you were my daughter I'd suggest you buy a
pick up truck and a small travel trailer.
I could keep going but I think anyone reading this would get my drift. The best engine in the world isn't worth a hoot if everything around it is in disrepair or ready to fall apart.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Short version.. I have bought a 140k Ford, professionally maintained.. did fluids, belt, tires, brake pads and put 40k with odds and ends..all expected,, then did exhaust, brakes major, cooling.. took it to 197k sold it.. still going, know the guy.

then got a low mile 28k that sat around,, dumped $$$ .. into it, because crap was bad from setting.. I DIY mechanicc so I have a great bargan RV now but,, ......

I would pay a guy to shake it down, also service records are key...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #7

Seems like you can find some lower mileage Class C’s on RV Trader and FB Marketplace. 150k miles is going to have a bunch of wear on the suspension and drivetrain. Plus a rental may have been abused, because all the different drivers using it. Instead of a one or two owner unit that you can get info on how it’s been maintained.

As to a Ford vs Chevy, as others said there are many more Fords than Chevys. The Chevy is going to have a better front suspension than the Ford twin I beam. Engine and transmissions are a wash. Both are proven drivetrains.

When you do find one try to have an RV inspector check it out. Unless you have RVing experience and know what to look for. Mine cost about $600, and he found a couple small easily fixed things.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #8

Our first RV was a 99 Bounder 85,000 miles on a Ford F53 chassis and had no issues with chassis. Drove it cross country twice with no issues. Our current RV is 2017 Leprechaun on a Ford E450 chassis which we bought used with no issues. Just have an mechanic look it over before you spend money.
John58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:48 PM   #9

Just so you know.... Cruise America typically sells their RVs when they are 3-4 years old and reach 100,000 to 130,000 miles. So someone probably bought that RV from Cruise America in 2011. In the last 11 years, how many different owners did it have?

I happen to own 2 RVs from Cruise America. They have been great for the most part. I wouldn't hesitate buying from Cruise America. But the RV you are thinking of buying hasn't been with Cruise America for 11 years.

I should point out that RVs in general are expensive toys to have. When something goes bad, it could cost you $5000-$10000 to fix. A modest used Class C RV with 90-100k miles on it currently might cost $25-30k. You are asking about buying something for half that. To me, that sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster (...it could have undisclosed problems). Also, at that price/value, it puts you in a tough spot when something does go wrong that might cost several thousand to fix. Let's say something major goes out and it will cost $8000 to fix. Are you really going to put $8000 into an RV that is only worth $15k?

Not trying to bum you out...just trying to help with some perspective.

Good luck!
Chris

PS: You should NOT think that it will last for 300,000 miles. Might not last to 200,000. Things break.
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:48 AM   #10

We met up with friends who rented a 25 foot Cruise America motorhome on an E350 chassis. They said the rig drove real hard, hard to handle and a harsh ride thrashing everything constantly. By each wheel well was a yellow sticker stating to maintain 80psi in the tires which means the tires were way over-inflated for the actual load. This translates to every mile shaking the rig to death. That would concern me if buying one.

In contrast, our rig of similar length, similar weight and weight distribution, identical chassis, requires 45psi up front, and 60 psi in rear. They were very impressed with the quality of the ride.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful replies. My dad not only spent 25 years working on gm, Chevy, and pontiac but started working on Ford when his dealership changed and worked on them for at least 15 years. He's seen everything you can see on a vehicle as a heavy repair technician, so I respect his opinion when he says to avoid anything built on Ford. It is however very difficult to find something near my budget that isn't Ford, so I'm concerned with finding a vehicle that I can trust will be reliable when I buy it. The issues that LETMEGROW listed are all things my dad rattled off for why I shouldn't buy this. I should probably keep looking is what it sounds like. But I now have a much better idea of what to look for so thank you again. And I welcome further opinions!
Ashmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmama View Post
Thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful replies. My dad not only spent 25 years working on gm, Chevy, and pontiac but started working on Ford when his dealership changed and worked on them for at least 15 years. He's seen everything you can see on a vehicle as a heavy repair technician, so I respect his opinion when he says to avoid anything built on Ford. It is however very difficult to find something near my budget that isn't Ford, so I'm concerned with finding a vehicle that I can trust will be reliable when I buy it. The issues that LETMEGROW listed are all things my dad rattled off for why I shouldn't buy this. I should probably keep looking is what it sounds like. But I now have a much better idea of what to look for so thank you again. And I welcome further opinions!
I can only offer two more words of advice: Be patient!
Old 04-07-2023, 11:33 PM   #13

Listen to dad. Father Knows Best.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:50 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are plenty RVs out there with a Ford E450 chassis with the old V10 engine. They run pretty well. I have a one now and no issues with it. But any vehicle can have problems at any time.

Some Class Cs are built on the MB Sprinter chassis. For some folks it's a fine option. For us it was a non-starter. Make sure you understand the service and maintenance issues with the Sprinter.

I see very few Class Cs built on anything else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, class c