Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK2NY View Post
Hi All,
I am totally new to RVing and to this site. I would be very appreciative if I could get some opinions on which new MH to buy.

My wife and I have 2 children under 2 yrs. old and we are looking to take frequent short trips (long weekends) and perhaps a few lasting about 2-3 weeks. I want to be maneuverable in cities, yet have all the amenities and storage, so we are thinking of a class C around 22' or 23'

I started looking last week, but they all seem the same. Same layout, same features, etc. What is the best brand? I'd like to find the BMW of 23' class C motorhomes. I'm looking for the best quality, with the fewest problems, best warranty/service, ease of part replacement, best features and amenities, etc. Price is not a major consideration.

Any and all opinions will be much appreciated!
Thank you!
What have you looked at so far? I was at the Hershey RV show yesterday and looked at a number of Class A, B, and C RVs. I find the Winnebago Trend at 23' to be interesting, especially with it's six speed transmission.

None of the NEWEST Sprinters (usually 24') appear to have arrived at the show yet. The newest Sprinters have a 2.1 Liter engine with a 7 speed Transmission as an option where the standard engine is a 3 liter with a 5 speed transmission. The trend is towards smaller engine with turbo charging and more transmission gears which can significantly improve fuel mileage.

Other than the Trend, I have not looked at any other 22-23' RV. My wife and I found these too small for our planned long distance trips. I would think that having two small children might be a safety problem. I would be very concerned on how they could be strapped in and kept safe. The Class C's I have seen have seat belts for four people, but these are probably not suitable for small children. I don' t believe LATCH attachments are available in the RVs that I have seen.

The Car Seat Lady – Traveling in RVs with Children

Since there is no standard secure attachment for child seats in an RV, that I am aware of, this seems to prohibit the use of an RV until your children are significantly older.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #16

I've seen RVs built on Ford F450 and F550 quad cab chassis that would provide safety for more than the driver and passenger. They make a smaller one two that might fit your needs. Can't remember the name though.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #17

My 2012 View on the Sprinter chassis has one dinette seat with child seat attachment points. Five seat belted positions ( including front seats) total.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesView12 View Post
My 2012 View on the Sprinter chassis has one dinette seat with child seat attachment points. Five seat belted positions ( including front seats) total.
Is that the J or M model?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #19

It is the J model.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #20

Bought it!

I bought the 2015 Winnebago View 24J at the Hershey RV Show yesterday.
It looks awesome and the wife loves it too. I think it is the perfect balance in size - big enough to accommodate our small family and small enough to go anywhere and maneuver through city streets.
The combination of Mercedes Benz and Winnebago are also the quality I was looking for.

We won't receive it for 12 weeks, but are excited for our first adventure! Going to hit all 48 contiguous States in 5 years

Thank you all for your help! See you on the road!
HK2NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK2NY View Post
I bought the 2015 Winnebago View 24J at the Hershey RV Show yesterday.
It looks awesome and the wife loves it too. I think it is the perfect balance in size - big enough to accommodate our small family and small enough to go anywhere and maneuver through city streets.
The combination of Mercedes Benz and Winnebago are also the quality I was looking for.

We won't receive it for 12 weeks, but are excited for our first adventure! Going to hit all 48 contiguous States in 5 years

Thank you all for your help! See you on the road!
My guess is that you have already made the correct choices for equipment in your new View. There are a couple of things that I would think that you might want to obtain.
  1. Electrical Surge Suppressor - Can be attached to the end of your power line or wired in permanently (I had mine wired in by the dealer)
  2. Electrical connector adapters for 15, 30, 50 Amp service. An extension power cable.
  3. Leveling blocks - necessary to be able to use the Refrigerator on LP Gas.
  4. Bubble Level - tells you when your refrigerator is "level enough."
  5. Paper Cup - Various uses
  6. Rubber Bands - One use is to attach a paper cup to the kitchen spout. Once used there is always water in the spout and it leaks onto the sink cover boards. Mine are wood and have warped.
  7. Flashlight, Scissors, cutlery, LP gas grill lighter, pots, pans etc.
  8. Water Filter - Can be purchased as an option or added later. The on board filter in my Navion is attached ONLY to the kitchen faucet. I also use a 2nd filter when filling my water tank.
  9. Drinking water hose
  10. Gravity Fill nozzle with valve
  11. Black Water Tank deodorizer/enzyme
  12. Sewage removal hose with dump site adapter and a 45 degree clear plastic union connector
  13. Plastic Gloves for handling the sewer hose
  14. RV Cleaning products, such as a long handled windshield washer/squeegee, long handled soft brush for the body, RV wash, wax, wheel cleaner, tar remover, Glass X for the windshield.
  15. Appropriate Bedding including blankets and perhaps a mattress topper
  16. Site rug, chairs, table, table clothes, table cloth clamps, lanterns etc.
  17. Slide seal preservative
  18. A selection of fuses
  19. Other automotive maintenance products
  20. Food, Water (bottled), dust pan, trash bag holder, hand sanitizer, soap, pots and pans as needed, dinnerware, etc.
  21. Vacuum pack bags to allow carrying large amounts of compressibles if you need to.
  22. Laptop or Tablet computer to plan trips and to update the Rand/McNally RV GPS if you have purchased that as an accessory.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #22

Congrats on the new View. I hope you like yours as well as I like mine.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #23

My husband I just bought a new 2015 Winnebago View 24G. We did a lot of research. This was more than what we wanted to pay but was disappointed with the Ford Chassis (no leg room) and the poor quality of other units. We also like the Itasca Navion which are Winnebago too. We will keep you posted if you'd like. Our friends have an '07 and love it.
GandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandT View Post
My husband I just bought a new 2015 Winnebago View 24G. We did a lot of research. This was more than what we wanted to pay but was disappointed with the Ford Chassis (no leg room) and the poor quality of other units. We also like the Itasca Navion which are Winnebago too. We will keep you posted if you'd like. Our friends have an '07 and love it.

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
speaking from experience: Rent the type of rv you think you might want to purchase. Example: years ago, we rented a 27'er and couldn't take it into restaurant parking lots, etc. - only Walmart! Also, bumper would hit things when turning in close quarters. So, we ended up with a 22'r later. We could take it anywhere and park it anywhere! We LOVED it ! Then, we upgraded to a 23'r for larger bathroom and more headroom. We LOVED it too. If we had not rented one, then we would've ended up dissatisfied owning a 27'er w/missing rear bumper! Glad we rented first! tom and rho
mlo166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
oops! I see where you already got one.... Congradulations! Tell us all about it!
mlo166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Be sure you receive all the paper work on everything in the M.H.

I have had an R.V. sense 1989 and the most importing thing about it is (be sure you receive all the paper work) I mean manuals on just about everything thing you have in the R.V.
If you keep it long enough you will treasure those manuals later on down the road when something does not work like it should.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #28

I got the 2013 Navion 24 M with the added bed over top, and still love it 35,000 miles later. We put a foam topper over both the air bed and the top bunk. The dinette sleeper is too short for most adults but great for kids. It has the most spacious feel and is the best for evening movies. All the other versions would leave me with a bad neck, either looking way up or way to one side

I got a great deal from John Frankle at Camping World in St. Augustine Florida. I flew there to get it because he saved me so much money - tell him Tom sent you.
Tom24M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24j, sprinter, winnebago view