Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Buying new RV

I'm looking into buying a 24ft or less class C RV.
Is there any RV's I should be aware of to stay away from?
Bobh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Buying a RV is very subjective. Find a floor plan you like, decide gas or diesel, do your homework and make your decision based on your findings. Opinions of others can be tainted based on their experience,good or bad.

Good luck
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember..Every day you put off retiring..is just one less Day of being retired
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh64 View Post
I'm looking into buying a 24ft or less class C RV.
Is there any RV's I should be aware of to stay away from?
The suggestion to buy used is excellent advice if this is the OP's first RV. Some of the better made Class C's are Coach House, Born Free, Big Foot, Coach House, Lazy Daze, Pleasure Way, and Triple E. Only Coach House, Lazy Daze, and Pleasure Way are still in business.

There are certainly a few other well-made Class C's, but these are the some that I know about.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

We bought the interior layout and size that we liked the best.
Happened to be a Pleasure-Way on a Sprinter Diesel.
1.5 years and 16,000 miles later and I can't find anything I don't like.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #6

As others have noted, you won't have any idea of what you really want until you have some time in one. We had considered renting one, but ran across a used Winnebago Class C on a Toyota Chassis. The price was low enough that buying was almost as cheap as renting for a couple weeks. We kept that one for five years and sold it for what we paid for it. Who knew that Toyota RV's had such a cult following and high demand?
We already had an 8 cylinder F-150 and were spending more time in one place, so sold the Class C and bought a J-Feather 25Z. That worked well for us, but after 5 years we found ourselves moving around more so decided to sell it and get a 24 foot Class C. It is small enough that we do not need to tow a car, but we can if we are going to stay in one place for a while. It is also small enough that we can store it beside the house in the winter.
Include used RV's in your search if for no other reason than you will quickly see which brands hold up well and which have problems. But also bear in mind that there was a huge shake up in the RV industry in about 2009 and only a few companies survived intact. Many went under and some were bought up by other companies. Winnebago and Tiffin both survived the fallout and you can get manuals, wiring diagrams, and replacement parts for almost any of the coaches they built.
Most Class C's are built on the Ford E-350 or E-450 chassis. After 2008, almost all gas Class A's were built on the Ford F53 chassis. Almost all C's and A's use the same 6.8 Liter V-10 engine. Before 2008, there was also the Workhorse chassis with an 8 cylinder Chevy engine.
Buy what you think will serve your purposes and find a good non-dealer service facility to take care of it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Almost all C's and A's use the same 6.8 Liter V-10 engine.
I believe the A's have a higher horsepower version due to different heads.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
True the F53 chassis has the 3 valve v10 and they sated around 2005 i think maybe 2006 all E350/450 has the 2 valve v10.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
I believe the A's have a higher horsepower version due to different heads.

Rick
Still the same 6.8 L V-10 basic engine. The 3 valve version gives you a whopping 15 more HP (320 VS 305). Not much when at one extreme its pushing a 22 ft class C and at the other a 40+ ft Class A. At one time I think there was a 275 hp version in Class A's.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying