Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Question Buying Old Motorhome's

I thinking buying a motorhome that is 15 years old and is a good idea or not? Someone told me some RV parks will not allow me to park a motorhome that is over ten years old.

1998 Gulf Stream Coach Ultra Limited Edition
Automatic Ford V10 E Super Duty Chassis
24Feet Long! Automatic Sofa Slide-Out with Awning!

We also have all the orignial paperwork such as model info., appliance care info., and maintenance info. Here are some extra details: Model #W6236B, 44gal black tank, 24gal grey tank, 38 gallon fresh tank, 55gal gas tank, 6gal elect. ign. water heater, 25,000btu furnace, 13,500btu roof air, 62lb. LP tank, 11' 1" height with AC, 24' 2" length, 14,050 GVWR, 176 wheel base, 6'5" interior height. Generac Generator (313 hours)

Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

most people on here say that the age of the motor home does not matter, its how it looks. as long as its clean and in good shape most places may just ignore that rule. also some people here say that rules for keeping riff raft out.
greendragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Many of the "restricted" RV Parks will waive the requirement if you e-mail photos of your rig to them showing that it is a nice unit.

Remember that ANY 15 year old vehicle - Car, Truck, RV, etc. - needs more care and is less reliable than a younger unit. Be sure to budget for those expenses.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Most of the "restricted" RV Parks are class-designation-of-vehicle-restricted...that is, they won't let a "C" in regardless of its age or condition.

Fortunately for the general public, hard economic times are softening those policies, and as pointed out above, the condition of your rig combined with your willingness to pay their rates will open a lot of doors!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Buying a well cared for older unit leaves you lots of money to fix it up. Buy a new unit with help from a bank, and you'll still have maintenance and repair costs -- Plus paying interest! Just check dates on the tires, CO & LP detectors. I always cringe at the way vehicles depreciate so quickly. I enjoy buying used, the biggest depreciation has already happened.

About the parks that won't let us 'older' units in, remember: " I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. -- Groucho Marx

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have probably spent 1000 nights in RV Parks in the last 6 1/2 plus years and I haven't encountered a single Park with 10 year restrictions. Maybe we have been lucky so far or they have restrictions and I never knew it?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, it's never been an issue for us either. I guess I don't strive high enough when selecting a campground or 'RV Resort.' (I've never understood that term, why does my RV need to go to a resort?) We were in Bar Harbor, ME a few weeks ago, most all campgrounds were closed for the season, ended up in an oceanfront KOA for $60 a night, they never questioned the age of the RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It is not a bad idea. I've bought a 15 y.o. and an 11 y.o. You want to make sure EVERYTHING works. You'll want to give the interior walls and ceiling a good inspection for water leaks. Cs are nortorious for leaking in the overhead bunk. Take all the cushions out and take a good look.

Check the tires for any cracks and side wall checking. Also check the DOT date codes. If they are 7 years old, it's time to replace soon, regardless of tread. You'll be looking at around $2000 for tires.

The 1st old C I bought we had 5 years and all I ever HAD to do was clean the ground on the frame for the generator.

As fas as CGs and a 10 year rule, forget about it, you'll probably never encouter it, just keep your rig clean and shiny.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Most of the "restricted" RV Parks are class-designation-of-vehicle-restricted...that is, they won't let a "C" in regardless of its age or condition.
That's not been our observation. We've come across a handful (<10%) of CGs with rules that reference the age of the RV ... but only one of those that I can recall which were "Class A Only".

I agree with comments made so far suggesting that the age restrictions are really more of a tool to keep out "junky" looking RVs and that they rarely have any impact on most of us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #10

Here is another motorhome I'm thinking about buying, 1997 Four Winds Infinity Class A Motorhome. It has Ford chassis, Fuel injected, 7.5V8. 30K miles, New Michelin tires, brakes & Calipers, Excellent condition. price 16,000

Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I agree with comments made so far suggesting that the age restrictions are really more of a tool to keep out "junky" looking RVs and that they rarely have any impact on most of us.

Rick
I'm wondering if there isn't another reason they don't want to talk about.

Last winter my DW & I were checking into a place in Florida and just as we got there another unit pulled in also. By the time I got organized and into the office the other driver was already "having words" with the person behind the counter. The guy trying to check in was rather unkempt (to put it politely) with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and a dirty greasy baseball cap on his head, he looked like he had just climbed out from under the coach, instead of driving it in.

The clerk was saying something like "I'm sorry, the owners set the rules, nothing more than 10 years old is allowed in. There's a public campground just up the highway a bit."

The fella decided arguing was not getting him anywhere, said something vulgar to the clerk and turned to leave, saying something like "Forget it buddy, white trash like us are not allowed in here." as he passed me.

The clerk then turned to me and asked if he could help me, I said I was hoping to get a site, but ...........

He just laughed and said something like "Your rig looks plenty new to me." and gave me a wink & a nod.

I guess saying you look like you could be trouble isn't legal, saying your rig is to old isn't.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

We go pretty much top drawer over the winter. 10 yr rule is common but allows staff to view the rig. Saw some real dandy vintage rigs, all prettied up come in. Saw a couple trashed ones that had to leave.

If you owned a top drawer CG, what would you do?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I guess I will be testing this requirement. I just purchased a 1993 and was reading about this limit before I purchased. I stayed at Red Gate in Savannah they didn't have a problem with my RV. They had a lot of new RVs there.
We shall see. I will be staying somewhere South week after Thanksgiving. I have my eye on Southern Alabama!! 613 miles hub said nah. But I am already.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I guess I will be testing this requirement. I just purchased a 1993 and was reading about this limit before I purchased. I stayed at Red Gate in Savannah they didn't have a problem with my RV. They had a lot of new RVs there.
We shall see. I will be staying somewhere South week after Thanksgiving. I have my eye on Southern Alabama!! 613 miles hub said nah. But I am already.
Search on here about Red Max #3 to clean up the rig, comb your hair and a little lipstick and I'm sure you'll get it!

Bob & Donna