Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

C slide issues

Specifically referring to large or full wall slide. I'm researching a C for what could be the next RV type but I know I won't find everything I looking for in the smaller packages. Things like decent size living area when in inclement weather, or just want to be IN. Queen bed that doesn't fold in the middle. Mid 20s length in a 450 chassis. NOT a wet bath and room to turn around in the shower.

That said I compromised on length and looked at a FR Forester Classic with a big/full wall slide. My concern is having slide issues with something that big. Yes I know full wall slides have been around a while but I suspect most of those coaches travel twice a year form their winter to summer locations and repeat the next year. My travel style in a 2-4 month trip is frequent travel days. Stay someplace 3-6 days and move on. That's a lot of slide deployment but not sure if being a C makes any difference or that slide design advancement makes my concerns a non-issue. I'm asking those who have that type or have good knowledge of them.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Interesting post. I actually just joined this community today as I've put a down payment on an Entegra with a full wall slide. Originally, I was looking at twin bed floorplans, but figured the extra space of a large slide would be nice.

I'll be following this I too have had it ingrained in my head that the slides are the first things to break. With so many RV's out there with slides, I have to believe that they have come a long way and with the proper maintenance, they should last a while.
RonandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #3

Look at usefulness with the slide IN. What can you NOT get to. Most important thing when I got my PC 2552. Dealers have everything opened up so it looks
“Roomy”.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

I was never a fan for any kind of slide out, and I know it is not a popular position. With that said, one matter that would concern me with a full wall slide out is how well the opening is supported with a header for such a span. What prevents the roof from sagging, especially with one or two heavy a/c units resting on top? Add snow and such, and it seems ripe for interference as the rig ages.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I was never a fan for any kind of slide out, and I know it is not a popular position. With that said, one matter that would concern me with a full wall slide out is how well the opening is supported with a header for such a span. What prevents the roof from sagging, especially with one or two heavy a/c units resting on top? Add snow and such, and it seems ripe for interference as the rig ages.
I don't dislike slides but am suspicious of very large ones for the possible reasons you give. The weight of them and since they are likely on the same mechanisms that are used on small ones concerns me also. But also is the number of duty cycles I would get on a 3 month trip, equals to several years of use for many people.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

Back to that extra long header for a full wall slide out.

I imagine it will resonate like a conventional cab-over bed when the rig is being driven. I would be concerned of long term structural integrity.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #7

With my 24' Thor they use two rails for the standard slides and a triple set up for the larger slides.

For many a slide is something to worry about, and for others it is a way to get more usable space and a better floor plan within the same length.

Just one more complication in already typically complicated RVs.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

C slide issues

I have owned two Dynamax Class C over the last four years and both had full wall slides. Never had an issue. Just always make sure you have some form of power to the batteries when moving the slide.

My current RV is an Isata 5 30FW with the RAM chassis. The RAM has dual alternators outputting 440 amps and I run the engine while moving the slide. Works great, never an issue.

You just can’t get the space that a full wall slide provides with other floor plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E62C6C2-004E-4769-9CBD-AD62ADDE4457-230-00000043AF716594.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	318077  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #9

X2 what tarnold said. Be sure everything is operational with slide in. I have just recently made the switch from no slide to slide. She is on crutches sometimes and the walk around bed was needed. Due to wife's surgery and covid I have not really gotten to put it out there in my new to me used class c. Shortages of used units made it hard to find the one we wanted, however part of the kitchen in that unit would have been unusable if slide did not go out. I like this slide. Everything has access with it in. we see a difference when the grandkids. Long trip coming and I hope no problems with it.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have owned two Dynamax Class C over the last four years and both had full wall slides. Never had an issue. Just always make sure you have some form of power to the batteries when moving the slide.

My current RV is an Isata 5 30FW with the RAM chassis. The RAM has dual alternators outputting 440 amps and I run the engine while moving the slide. Works great, never an issue.

You just can’t get the space that a full wall slide provides with other floor plans.
What is your travel style, In other words do you go someplace and stay a while or frequently travel. I frequently travel which means slide get a whole lot more iterations that those that sit more. The frequent iterations is what concerns me with the full wall slides. The Itasca motorhome had 4 slides and 2 were about 12'. Never had issues except once in AK trying to set up in horribly uneven terrain and in that case it pulled a seal which I had to repair. Fortunately Winnebago builds things with ease of maintenance occasionally.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
What is your travel style, In other words do you go someplace and stay a while or frequently travel. I frequently travel which means slide get a whole lot more iterations that those that sit more. The frequent iterations is what concerns me with the full wall slides. The Itasca motorhome had 4 slides and 2 were about 12'. Never had issues except once in AK trying to set up in horribly uneven terrain and in that case it pulled a seal which I had to repair. Fortunately Winnebago builds things with ease of maintenance occasionally.

We move pretty frequently. I would say we traveled a total of 4 months last year and stayed in maybe 30 RV parks over that time. The slide gets a lot of use and it works smoothly every time.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:13 AM   #12

I am a worrywart with slide-outs because we own our rigs for multiple decades and over 100,000 miles. Our plan is to own our current rig for 40+ years which would place us around age 89/90. My concern applies to people buying a well used and dated motor home. If buying a new or almost new motor home every 5 years or so like many forum members here do, you are rotating out any potential slide-out concerns that develop with use and age.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Class A here. 26' full wall slide. In that span after 6 years sagged is about 1.5"
With 3 motors it had been reliable but the voltage must be over 13, engine running.
In extreme wet storms we have gotten water inside.
We like the space it provides for long stays. For 1 day stays, it is retracted.
But the awning is noisy on very windy days.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Class A here. 26' full wall slide. In that span after 6 years sagged is about 1.5"
Is that 1-1/2" sag you have, located in the main structure (called the header) or do you see it in the slide-out box? If the ceiling of the box is drooping, maybe the header above it is also drooping so the relationship between the box and the opening for it remains the same.

For everyone with a full wall slide out, if you stand on a stool and make a line of sight down the length of your upper trim, is it straight or does it droop in the middle? Maybe it depends whether there is something inside the slide out like a floor-to-ceiling cabinet for example, located in the middle to support the center of the box.

Tags
slide