Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
cab overhang cover

Hi
About gave up on trying to find leak
I know its at the cab overhang but just can't find it
Is anyone aware of a cover that just slides over the cab overhang only &covers this section only????
I have a class C Fleetwood Jamboree 23e
Front of Motorhome is parked so back of MH is 6 inchers lower then front so any water would flow to rear of MH
Hope someone knows where I can buy a cover for overcab only
I do not want to cover entire MH
Thanks
TrekGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Thumbs up

I don't believe such a cover exists. You have to be persistent to find the leak by running water over a single area at a time. Took me forever but found mine where the gutter ends at the front cap. Water was getting under the cap. Had to rebuild the entire cabover as wet wood and rot was everywhere. No fun but a necessity for safety and piece of mind.

Good Luck
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

I don't know of specific cover either.... But. I may have experienced your issue. There is a possibility of it being the bottom trim of the cabover.

I would get this mysterious wet spot in the passenger side corner of my overhead area. Went through the same checks of the marker lights as well...

An inspection of the side trims on both sides did finally reveal something. While it "looked sealed" the bottom trim on the side where I was getting water in was actually leaking. The large circle in one of the picks is where a majority of the water came in. I would get water on the inside of the unit on the floor where the arrow is placed. It was leaking to the point where it caused a failure of the welds on the aluminum framing.

This in turn caused the movement of the actual cabover itself and caused the upper seal where the roof material is retained by the top trim to leak even though the sealant appeared intact.

My first guess for you would be to remove the plastic screw trim cover from all trim on the side in question and start pulling out screws. If the screws are badly rusted to the point that they have no remaining threads, it would point to an issue with leaks at that trim piece...

The picture attached is after I realized the issue and taped it up til I could get to the entire cab rebuilt as the entire side of the unit was experiencing water damage and delamination...

Also I am including a pic with arrows on the exact spots I found water infiltration even though there appeared to be NO issues with sealant or trim issues. That pic was taken after I rebuilt the entire cabover.

So I after I rebuilt the cabover and replaced the rubber roof at the end of the season and thankfully all of the snow up here has given me a good test. And so far it is leak free....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21742836_10155619061988903_5624484900453497834_n.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	192304   Click image for larger version

Name:	21463346_10155627133658903_6622878355072578583_n.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	192305  

Old 02-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
cover over cab

Hi
I do believe you are correct
I rather suspected the areas you described although they appear to be in good shape
None of these pieces of trim have any visible screws ????
I thought I would cover these trim pieces with eternbond tape ????
not sure if removing trim without any screws is such a good thing to do as I may end up doing more damage
Either way I appreciate your response & I do believe you are right on
Thanks Again
PS There is a cap where roof meets side panel & again it looks well sealed but bottom of trim piece is not sealed & one would normally not seal bottom but I wonder if by chance water could go up & under this trim piece????
Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGreat View Post
Hi

None of these pieces of trim have any visible screws ????
Normally those side trim pieces have vinyl inserts, which can be removed to expose the screws that secure the trim pieces to the vehicle.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

The PO of my RV had it resealed last Jan '17 but when I bought it discovered the overhead still leaked. Short story is that I'll bring the MH to a shop that does a pressurized test to located any leaks and cost $150. IMO is well worth it.
Here's a youtube video on the process.

Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
cover over cab

First I want to THANK ALL OF YOU who responded & offered me advise on how to find & correct my problem with a leak in overcab area
I do feel the problem is water getting in & under vinyl cap & plan on removing a section of cap today
Obviously there is a seem under this cap & if a leak is going to occur its at a seam
In fact shortly after I purchased this MH & discovered I had a leak I had all the vinyl replaced thinking the existing vinyl may have shrunk in size & no longer was a tight fit This did not solve the problem But at the time I suggested to the RV shop that they run a continuous bead of sealant on seam before installing new vinyl which they did not do
After I remove vinyl do you think it wise to run a continuous bead of sealant on seam before reinstalling vinyl???? I realize I need to have sufficient space for sealant but I thought I could install sealant & before sealant has had time to set install vinyl
Your comments as always would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

I'd suggest removing the whole vinyl insert. They probably have a screw on one or both ends holding them in place, to prevent shrinking. More often than not the screw on the top end at least,is buried under sealant and has to be dug out. After removing the insert you'll see all the screws holding the trim piece in place. It's not that big a deal to remove all the screws to remove the trim piece. That vinyl insert is mainly for looks and probably does more harm than good by trapping water in the trim piece channel. A continuous bead of sealant wouldn't help anything. Putty tape under the trim piece and sealant over each screw head would help, after the source of the leak is fixed.

Tags
cover