Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #1

Can you put a 46 inch wide slide topper on a 24 inch

My slide is 10 feet long by 2 feet wide but it seems all the more cost friendly toppers only come 46 inches wide. Can you wind the extra 2 feet onto the spring loaded side?
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 08:21 PM   #2

Yes. So when it snows on it it can unroll onto the slide roof and not tear.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:48 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YES, wider should be fine. Often, (SOME, BUT NOT ALL) slide topper hardware allows topper to be pulled down further and held in position w/ straps, and used as EXTERIOR WINDOW AWNING. Even if your does not have this feature, you just need proper tension to prevent unrolling/ billowing while traveling.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:09 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MIGHT BE WORTH NOTING, it took me two years to find out that window awning feature on mine; had inquired with several posts about the hooks on my slides WALLS, finally found Old brochure picture of the window awnings in use and figured it out.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:27 PM   #5

Thanx, it is coming next week. I just bought the RV and the topper was gone when I got it, all the videos I've watched say around 14 turns should be the right tension. My tube is 8 inches around the outside so 6 turns would suck it up so I guess the extra 8 is to hold tension. Spun it the 14 times and it is doable so I think I'll start there. I tried to google the window awning thing, have never heard of it, but mine doesn't have any hooks on the slide wall so it probably is not set up for that. It's a 2003 Winnie 24 foot.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:29 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You WANT enough turns/ tension so that awning does not billow/ balloon and rip off while traveling; and e.g. CAREFREE brand, there is a CHART they publish that shows #/turns under INSTALLATION instructions. Carefree and other brands also have TRAVEL LOCK RATCHETS ON (SOME, maybe all/ maybe not all?) MODELS Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
My slide is 10 feet long by 2 feet wide but it seems all the more cost friendly toppers only come 46 inches wide. Can you wind the extra 2 feet onto the spring loaded side?
I see it's all figured out and on order. Curious what brand the topper is, Dometic, Carefree?

I asked because when I ordered new toppers from toughtop awnings they automatically calculate what the topper material width should be based upon the slide-out depth.

Worked out great. Been 3 or 4 years ago now
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:52 AM   #8

I just bought mine off amazon for $100. They all come 46 inches wide. Just wound it 14 times and no problem. I only keep a RV for the summer so no sense in spending big money for one.

Tags
slide