Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #1

Can't remove rear rotor on 2003 E350

The caliper and axle are already removed (driver side). The rotor and hub assembly are loose but will not slide off. Can it be hung up on the parking brake? If so how do you release the tension on the brake cable?

I'm trying to replace the rotor.

It's a motorhome with dual rear wheels.

Thanks

edit: the parking brake shoes are definitely the problem. How do I collapse them?
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
The caliper and axle are already removed (driver side). The rotor and hub assembly are loose but will not slide off. Can it be hung up on the parking brake? If so how do you release the tension on the brake cable?

Thanks

edit: the parking brake shoes are definitely the problem. How do I collapse them?
Most likely, the shoes are cocking as you try to remove the rotor/drum. (The rotor for the service brake, the drum for the parking brake.)

Behind the rotor (and its integral drum) is a backing plate that holds the brake shoes. In the backing plate, probably at the bottom, is a rubber plug, or just a slot if the plug is missing. Inside the slot, you should see a star wheel, edge-on. It's the brake adjuster.

Using a screwdriver, rotate the star wheel one way to tighten the brake shoes, the other way to loosen them. You will know if you are going the right way or the wrong way pretty quickly. Once they are loose enough, you should be able to remove the rotor/drum. It helps (a lot) to rotate it back and forth as you remove it.

In fact, that might be all you need to do now, though I've usually had to back off the adjuster a bit in practice.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Most likely, the shoes are cocking as you try to remove the rotor/drum. (The rotor for the service brake, the drum for the parking brake.)

Behind the rotor (and its integral drum) is a backing plate that holds the brake shoes. In the backing plate, probably at the bottom, is a rubber plug, or just a slot if the plug is missing. Inside the slot, you should see a star wheel, edge-on. It's the brake adjuster.

Using a screwdriver, rotate the star wheel one way to tighten the brake shoes, the other way to loosen them. You will know if you are going the right way or the wrong way pretty quickly. Once they are loose enough, you should be able to remove the rotor/drum. It helps (a lot) to rotate it back and forth as you remove it.

In fact, that might be all you need to do now, though I've usually had to back off the adjuster a bit in practice.

That was it. Found the rubber plug at the top of the wheel. There's only a few inches between the leaf spring and the hole though so I need to find the right tool to turn the adjuster. Screwdrivers won't work, homemade stuff is failing - maybe the specific tool from the parts store will do it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Something like this from O'Reilly's?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c.../w80630?pos=13
Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #5

The star wheel shouldn't take a huge amount of force to move. There's just a spring-loaded pawl keeping it from turning. Unless, of course, the threads are sticky (always possible) in which case that first little bit could be difficult.

If you have a torch (propane should do) and don't mine ruining a cheap screwdriver, you should be able to make an angled tool that will let you navigate past the leaf spring. You only need to move that wheel one tooth at a time.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #6

Food for thought but a few years ago I bought a Jeep Wrangler to be a toad and it began life in Canada. I also couldn't get the rear brakes apart to adjust or replace parts and took it to a local shop. Basically the drum came off in pieces and the rear E brakes the same. While the frame and body was well protected from rust with protectants, vulnerable parts like brakes had rust bad.

The tool they used

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...9/69240_W3.jpg
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #7

Last time I put brakes on my F150, we ended up using an air hammer to get the rear drums off.

Good luck.
standerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #8

If you can easily spin the rotor, it's not the e-brake shoes.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post

Thanks

If you've got one side off there certainly should not be any tension arising from the brake cable.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

Well I got them off. There was just no room to maneuver between the leaf spring pack and the access hole no matter what tool I used. Finally pulled the rotor off far enough so that I could access the star wheel through the gap between the rotor and the backing plate. Passenger side just slid off.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

This is good news. Perseverance wins! Care to share what sort of coach you are working on?
Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
This is good news. Perseverance wins! Care to share what sort of coach you are working on?
Read his signature.

Tags
rear